Adjusting gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grldtnr

A conundrum, how do you go about tweaking the gears on indexed dellraliuers?
If you have a LWB or a trike, and happen to be on your own , I don't see how you can turn the pedals , and adjust the indexing at the back.
I am a short Strapping 6'3" dollop, and even with my reach I can't do it, the boom / chainset is too far away, I need to power the chain or have a willing assistant, whom should not be wearing a showbizzy costume, and have a dazzling smile,ala Debbie McGhee, but that won't hurt!
I need a third hand or growva longer arm.

T4tomo

Guru
You could try Tinder for a willing assistant?:laugh:

OP
OP
grldtnr

grldtnr

I think I need a trained orangutan bike mechanic, they are jolly clever, but not sure if any have a diploma in cycle mechanicing, or get into transwsrp time traveling dimension.
Should have left the fecking thing alone !

a.twiddler

Veteran
I fortunately don't have indexed gears but I know what you mean. Recumbents don't fit easily on bike stands either. However when I was bringing my old Linear back to life last year I was able to hang the rear end up so the back wheel was just off the ground using a strap from the bike workstand round the rear frame. The point of balance is a long way back on a LWB, and the front wheel remained on the ground. If you have a garage you might be able to hang it from a beam, otherwise maybe outside in a doorway or even from a branch if you have a handy tree.

You might even be able to turn it upside down, depending on what type of bars you have. The same options could work with a SWB. With a trike it could be simpler, if you have room for a block under the non drive side drop out or at the frame ahead of the back wheel with a tadpole. Or turning it upside down which would also work with a delta trike. Just need to put padding down to protect paint and vulnerable parts.

You then can make an adjustment, turn the pedals, adjust, turn the pedals, adjust, etc until it's right. You don't need to be at both ends at once, and don't need arms like a gibbon. It might be easier with two, but not essential.

OP
OP
grldtnr

grldtnr

I fortunately don't have indexed gears but I know what you mean. Recumbents don't fit easily on bike stands either. However when I was bringing my old Linear back to life last year I was able to hang the rear end up so the back wheel was just off the ground using a strap from the bike workstand round the rear frame. The point of balance is a long way back on a LWB, and the front wheel remained on the ground. If you have a garage you might be able to hang it from a beam, otherwise maybe outside in a doorway or even from a branch if you have a handy tree.

You might even be able to turn it upside down, depending on what type of bars you have. The same options could work with a SWB. With a trike it could be simpler, if you have room for a block under the non drive side drop out or at the frame ahead of the back wheel with a tadpole. Or turning it upside down which would also work with a delta trike. Just need to put padding down to protect paint and vulnerable parts.

You then can make an adjustment, turn the pedals, adjust, turn the pedals, adjust, etc until it's right. You don't need to be at both ends at once, and don't need arms like a gibbon. It might be easier with two, but not essential.
Ah , Twiddles, upturning my Azub tadpole trike isn't Viable, tho suspending the rear wheel wouldn't be a problem ,being a singleton having bikes around the flat isn't a problem, my Front room serves as a bike workshop, the large hall for parking of 'service' machines, so room for maintenance no problem.
I have a box trailer outside ,which serves as a workbench with a cover over the cargo area , with a prop, it provides good access all round, but no shelter if it's raining.
But nosy sods, who happen to pass by will keep interrupting, at times like that I become unsociable, just like when out on the trike , I get up , lock it and walk away.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I use one of these - a £10 clothes rail from Argos. It was originally used as a clothes rail but has become redundant so I hang bikes from it by the nose of the saddle for both storage and a quick and dirty workstand. It holds 3 bikes OK, although does bend a little.
1633432717602.png

presta

Guru
Attach a long pole to the pedal. You could put an adjuster at the other end of the cable, but you'll still need the pole to adjust the limit screws.

Top Bottom