Adjusting my brakes on my Carrera Mountain Bike .... Please Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello everyone,

I have a Mountain Bike called a Carrerra Vengeance. Got it from Halfords just 6 months ago here:

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...e-mens-mountain-bike-black-16-18-20-22-frames

There's been a few issues, one of which is the brakes. When pulling the brakes in my hand, the brake doesnt fully engage; and I always end up pressing down all the way to the handle bars without 100% braking power.

Please note: everything was perfectly fine when i first got the bike. But gradually, things have been going down hill.

When I press the brakes on the handlebars, it just feels too "soft". In other words, if I had to do an emergency stop, I don't think it would be fully effective.

I've watched videos like this but no luck. I've tried adjusting the "barrel adjusters" and tightened the brake cable (like in vid). It seems like it works temporarily, but then goes back "soft" again.

Can some of you give me advice about how to rectify this problem?

Thanks

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
The only thing I can suggest is get better brakes.

I had a similar set on my old Shogun and couldn't do anything with them

I binned them in the end for a set of Avid BB7's

Best brakes I have ever owned - and that's including hydraulic ones

OP
OP
T

topshopper19

The only thing I can suggest is get better brakes.

I had a similar set on my old Shogun and couldn't do anything with them

I binned them in the end for a set of Avid BB7's

Best brakes I have ever owned - and that's including hydraulic ones

Thanks

I am a complete newbie when it comes to fixing bikes.

Where can I get the Avid BB7's from?

Also, if you had to suggest a company that could do it for me, who would it be? Need somewhere affordable but high standard.

Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks

Also, if you had to suggest a company that could do it for me, who would it be? Need somewhere affordable but high standard.

Thanks
Where are you based? You can get the upgraded brake calipers from Wiggle probably

If you are going to be running a business involving Cycling, you might want to at least learn the basics. If you’re not mechanically minded and aren’t keen on online tutorials, evans run fix it classes from many branches

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Thanks

Thanks

Try your local bike shop for starters.

Although, to be honest, you should be able to do it yourself.

As it was for me - it its a straight swap of the brake calipers - you can use your existing cables, levers and rotors.

Brake calipers are around £49 each online but if you shop around you may get a bargain.

EDIT:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253002941849

Lots of others on there too including full sets

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

topshopper19

Where are you based? You can get the upgraded brake calipers from Wiggle probably

If you are going to be running a business involving Cycling, you might want to at least learn the basics. If you’re not mechanically minded and aren’t keen on online tutorials, evans run fix it classes from many branches

based in East London near Stratford.

Cheers - will check out Wiggle

vickster

Legendary Member
Just avoid Evans at Canary Wharf, they aren’t very good based on others experiences

@Lonestar is out that way and can maybe recommend an LBS

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There's someone selling a set of Shimano hydraulic brakes for sale on here at a good price;

I have a pair of BR-RS405 front and rear hydraulic brake calipers for sale

These are brand new with fitting kits and pads for 160mm rotors.

I also have 2 hydraulic brake leavers that will work these brakes , these are used but unmarked as of my flat bar to drop convertion
£60 posted
Any questions please ask View attachment 430457 View attachment 430458 View attachment 430459 View attachment 430460
You just need to check you have 160mm rotors, looks like you do. If your shifters are integral with the brake levers you'll need new shifters too .Also check your frame can take flat mount brakes. You'll have to get them fitted of course.
You can contact him by PM on his profile

Last edited:

tamiya

Can some of you give me advice about how to rectify this problem?

Any brake sold today should be able to be made to work reasonably well ("fit for purpose") Tektro do good stuff by my books, they aren't the cheapest noname junk in the industry so imho it's silly just simply throwing money away by buying new parts (or worse, used parts) when you don't even know why your existing lot ain't working well.

Disc brake pads wear down pretty fast; one side of caliper moves with the lever/cable & you've gotta routinely adjust the opposite side to compensate for wear (RTM, there'll be a cam or piston you move out towards the disc).
Whenever you notice the disc getting pushed sideways when you brake = time for adjustment.
When the pads are too wornout you'll have no adjustment left = time to change.

Brakes are affected by errant oil/grease, make sure everything is properly degreased & squeaky clean. Even leaving fingerprints on your disc can degrade braking performance. I wipe everything with solvent/alcohol that evaporates fast & leaves no residue.

Top Bottom