Advice about dogs in my garden needed!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangaman

Hi anyone who knows about dogs.

I have a couple next door with 2 puppies. They are very boisterous (the puppies not the couple, although I dare say they have their moments too ;)).

I get on well with them, but they have let the fence fall down leaving a big gap. Every day the dogs come in and crap everywhere. Recently they have dug up two of my flower beds completely.

I have had a friendly word with the neighbours who were very apologetic and promised to fix the fence, but they haven't. I can't get to the fence as there's a bush in the way - all they to do is bang in a couple of nails - I offered to do it myself but they declined.

I don't want to find my garden ruined every night or get in an argument with the neighbours.

Someone told me dogs don't like some smells - eg vinegar, moth balls - even Listerine! I don't want to do anything to hurt the dogs,obviously, but a smell they don't like in my garden may do the trick (My neighbours are about to get married and go on a long honeymoon - I think their back fence is v. v. low down on their priority list).

Any ideas - I read using pepper or chilli but I imagine that would hurt the dogs so I'll not do that.

montage

God Almighty
Buy a wolf and tether it to said fence

longers

Legendary Member
I'd be a bit more persistent with the neighbours, politely. It's not acceptable.
The dogs don;t know any better so the responsibility lies with the owners.

If it's not sorted by the time they go away I'd go and fix it myself while they are away.

Unless you used Scotch Bonnets then pepper or chilli will be fine as a deterrent I think. No harm done but where would you put it? In the gap? Everywhere?

buggi

Bird Saviour
can you get close enough to put a mesh across? my mum bought a fine black mesh recently to stop the cats getting in through gaps. seems to work.

OP
OP
mangaman

mangaman

Thanks - I could use a mesh, but I think the neighbours need to sort out the fence rather than me splashing on netting.

Maybe I should be more assertive.

I was thinking of some pepper around the gap area - if it won't harm them I'll consider it if they don't sort the fence out.

I can't afford a wolf montage, unless you're volunteering (that is you in your avatar?)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have cats, and they generally poo on our land as we have plants and soil...... our neighbours don't........ cat's poo is different to dogs....as in where it lands...

But if a dog is poo'ing in your land then the owners don't have a leg...or 2/3 to stand on...dump it back on their land...............outside the door............

Buy a shotgun and for the dogs, get some pepper.

Bang out of order on the part of the neighbours.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS our cats generally do their business in our veg plot / litter tray / etc... oh and the rest of the neighbours cats do too.........(nicely turned over soil....nice cat toilet) ...dog's sh!t in the grass where the kids play...not funny...

OP
OP
mangaman

mangaman

Yeah - they've got cats too which pooh in my garden as well. They bury it while the dogs just leave it for all the world to see. ;)

I'll try some pepper and more hassle of the neighbours. Cheers everyone.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Dog one side of us poos in our garden every morning. But my dog wees in their kitchen ;)
Dog the other side dug huge holes in our lawn... but we're good friends with neighbours anyway, and my dog nicks their dog's bones ;)

mangaman said:
Yeah - they've got cats too which pooh in my garden as well. They bury it while the dogs just leave it for all the world to see. ;)

I'll try some pepper and more hassle of the neighbours. Cheers everyone.

The dogs will be eating the cat poo. You need these fellas and then do this ;)

Plax

Guru
Flick the poo back over their side of the fence.

Wipe the poo (or some other yukky sticky substance squirted at them out of a water gun) all over the puppies everytime they come in your garden. I'm sure the neighbours will soon get fed up of having to bath them repeatedly and get round to fixing the fence ;).

OP
OP
mangaman

mangaman

Crackle said:
The dogs will be eating the cat poo. You need these fellas and then do this ;)

You're right of course crackle with your 2nd link especially ;)

As for the dogs eating the cat's poo - say it aint so xx( that's horrible.

BTW I do flick the dog pooh back over the fence already - I think they don't notice as their garden's full of it already.

Top Bottom