Advice and recommendations on going clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I started off many years ago with clips and then tried clipless a few years ago. After one year I gave up as I did not get on with them for road use and also for mountain biking flats with trainers were much preferred. For touring flats with trainers were much more flexible in usage as well.
Currently I use clipless with a recumbent trike as a foot slipping off a pedal at speed would likely not have a good outcome but that is a whole different world.

Good afternoon,
You had a bad experience with a pair so all SPD shoes are crap. Right.

If you're having "clipless moments" slack the spring off so your shoe comes out easier.
As they used to say in user manuals

This page is deliberately empty;

Bye

Ian

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
Hi folks, I would appreciate some help with what shoes to buy :okay: My number 1 requirement is to be able to comfortably walk in them possibly up to 10-15 miles! Here in the highlands its often not possible to get a phone signal so if i had a serious mechanical i could be walking. I understand MTB shoes are going to be my best option but which? I havent a lot of dosh so under a £100 preferred and shoes best suited to winter conditions. Theres only a couple of shops in Inverness so limited options...Halfords being one of them. :okay:

I managed to get a good pair of Shimano Goretex MTB shoes with Boa's on Freewheel for under a £100. IIRC they also give you a 15% discount on your first order. Looks like delivery is to Highland Bikes in Inverness.

https://www.freewheel.co.uk/clothing/cycling-footwear/mountain-bike-shoes?price=49.99-100.00

Good evening,
......If you're having much in the way of clipless moments your fundamental coordination and/or control skills are the problem. .........
I don't agree, I am in my early 60s and have a bunion or two, a comfortable shoe for me is quite wide around the area where the toes join the rest of the foot.

The consequence of this is that when my foot rotates, it rotates within the shoe, not passing the rotation to the cleat.

If ride with 2 or 3 pairs of socks I can unclip on demand, but the discomfort around the big toe area is not worth the cost.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Maybe the OP has no bunions?

Decathlon 520 aren't a bad replacement. Strangely they have laces and a ratchet strap.
The label in mine says "520 Road" but I have MTB-style SPD cleats on them, so I can walk without looking like I'm ice.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I wonder if the ability to walk 15 miles is too highly prioritised, since this is a ‘just-in-case’ requirement. Maybe better to get shoes that suit your cycling needs (since you will definitely be doing that) and being as self-sufficient as possible at fixing issues on the trail (which may never happen).

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
Just to clarify my worse case scenario of a long walk- i ride 4 or 5 times a week over hilly terrain where there is often no phone signal or traffic and i only know 1 person who might help me out. Its not an occasional ride like this but every ride! [except when im tootling down the A9] Walking 15 miles or so wouldnt be a great problem but not if the shoes cripple me! My bike is well maintained and i carry the usual tools to cover most eventualities just need the right shoes! Happy to stick with clips and straps if clipless isnt viable.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Just to clarify my worse case scenario of a long walk- i ride 4 or 5 times a week over hilly terrain where there is often no phone signal or traffic and i only know 1 person who might help me out. Its not an occasional ride like this but every ride! [except when im tootling down the A9] Walking 15 miles or so wouldnt be a great problem but not if the shoes cripple me! My bike is well maintained and i carry the usual tools to cover most eventualities just need the right shoes! Happy to stick with clips and straps if clipless isnt viable.

I started on flats then went with SPD,s. Briefly tried flats again which just confirmed that I do prefer being clipped in now. I just like the feeling of security with my feet on the pedals always in the correct position with no danger of slipping off, especially in the wet.

Get yourself a pair of the Shimano PD-M520 pedals and back off the tension to the loosest setting at least to start. Also a set of the Shimano SH56 cleats which are multi release so you can twist out either way.

Still not sure I would want to walk much further than maybe 3 miles even on SPD shoes though. I’m sure if your bike is well maintained the chances of that happening are pretty slim though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
I started on flats then went with SPD,s. Briefly tried flats again which just confirmed that I do prefer being clipped in now. I just like the feeling of security with my feet on the pedals always in the correct position with no danger of slipping off, especially in the wet.

Get yourself a pair of the Shimano PD-M520 pedals and back off the tension to the loosest setting at least to start. Also a set of the Shimano SH56 cleats which are multi release so you can twist out either way.

Still not sure I would want to walk much further than maybe 3 miles even on SPD shoes though. I’m sure if your bike is well maintained the chances of that happening are pretty slim though.
Thanks Mo :okay: Think i might stick to my good old clips as 'maybe 3 miles' isnt going to get me home ^_^

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'd question your base assumptions. I do SPDs on the gravel and road bikes, cages on the utility tourer and flats on everything else.

Tbh clipless are OK in and of themselves, but IME are a ballache when combined with any other off-bike task. You also need to be on-point with setting them up so as to not ruin your knees / ankles. Absolutely bugger walking any significant distance in clipless shoes.

In your position it sounds like cages and some decent walking shoes would do you far better. While clipless has its advantages, all the toss about pedalling efficiency etc is total horsesh*t and on the road I'd not expect a caged rider to be at any tangible disadvantage to one running clipless.

On top of that you've saved the cost of the shoes and pedals to spend on imporant things like pork scratchings and gin 👍

Last edited:
Top Bottom