Advice for a new type of bike light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello, I'm looking to create a new type of bike light, Would you please reply to this thread with your wants and needs from a bike light
I've made a list of requirements I'd like you to refer to:

Size
weight
Anthropometry
wider issues such as social, ethical, sustainability

Any photos/videos of existing products relating to this would be greatly appreciated
Thanks for your time any response is extremely helpful

I'll have mine with red and green anthropometry please.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd like one that doesn't turn itself on in my rack bag and then get hot. However it also needs to be easy to adjust while riding in gloves if needed. Otherwise I'm quite happy with my current moon meteor light

I've no idea what anthropometry is and I can't be arsed to google it.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Not too bright. Visible from a wide angle. Integrated reflector. Proper mounts, not just a rubber band round the seatpost.

Dim. As dim as is legally permissable. Dim dim dim dim dim.

Very much like the Vistalite VL-300.

KneesUp

Guru
Lights on vehicles have two functions:

1) To let you see where you are going
2) To let other road users see you

With the space available on the front of a car (as well as the power available) lights can do both jobs reasonably well with one unit (per side) although separate is still better - the main beam on my Fiat Multiple used lights under the windscreen and could illuminate a path from here to the sun - it was one of the best things about a car with many good features (unfortunately the bad feature - the fact that it was made from biscuit tins and soap - outweighed all of them)

On a bike a light can realistically only fulfil one function properly. What sort of light are you after designing?

(I'm probably going dynamo powered with my next lights as I think they will be better for everyday use, and the semi-permanent fixing will mean I don't have to remember to take them off and put them on all the time as well as remembering to charge them)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I want mine tiny, lightweight, durable, never needs charging, but also with varying brightness and great sideways viability. For bonus points make the rear built into the seatpost (like the 'Lightskin' post) and add a camera. I have £5 waiting!

German standard B&M Lumotec lamp powered by a Shimano dynamo-hub.
No human-machine interface required.
You fix it place, rotate dial to Senso. Furgettaboutit. It goes on and off when required, you can even leave it on all the time.
It lights the road up and lets you be seen.

KneesUp

Guru
German standard B&M Lumotec lamp powered by a Shimano dynamo-hub.
No human-machine interface required.
You fix it place, rotate dial to Senso. Furgettaboutit. It goes on and off when required, you can even leave it on all the time.
It lights the road up and lets you be seen.
A combination of German and Japanese design, engineering and manufacture and you end up with a product that works both well an reliably. Who'd have thought?

Top Bottom