Advice for an unfit & nervous newbie!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I've not much to add except to echo the advice given above - go for a steel frame hybrid or suspensionless mountain bike (basically the same thing), and keep it indoors if at all possible.

It's good that you're going to a store and getting fitted and a chance to test ride, much better than buying blind online.

Would love to hear how you get on, keep us posted!

sidevalve

Über Member
Hi ! I came back to cycling after a twenty [ish] year gap and it's still good fun. Don't keep the bike outside if you can avoid it - it will suffer and may be stolen [any chain can be cut]. As above avoid suspension - it's just weight on cheaper bikes and not much use anyhow on normal roads [or even tow paths]. I have easily fitted a bianchi [not mine] and a Dawes on the back seat of an Astra so you should be fine in the ceed [We just had to remove the front wheels - really a two minute job].
Take a few rides on quiet roads at first and if you come to a junction you don't like just hop off and walk around it - it only adds a few seconds to your journey and it cuts the stress levels if you're a bit nervous.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Welcome to CC.
I keep my bikes in the bedroom, on a bike rack. Outside living doesn't suit a nice bike.

Google 'the amazing 39 stone cyclist' and you will see you are nowhere near too big to cycle. Gaz started on a Giant Yukon Mountain bike and never looked back. My husband started at around 17.5 stone at 5'10" with a hard tail MTB (cheap and nasty) and now whizzes about on a Carbon Boardman jobby.

Cycling is more addictive than pistachio nuts. So I reckon that we shall see a fair bit of you on here. Looking forward to chatting with you.

Barnet Goat

I also bought my first bike from Evans but found my local store fairly uninspiring so did a little research and just bought off their internet site and had it delivered. They do offer a free service within six weeks of purchase so perhaps that's your opportunity to have the bike tweaked once you've done a few miles on it?

Doobiesis

Über Member
I started cycling and first off started with a town bike with a basket on (well embarrassing to admit) then felt I wanted to go a bit further, so got a Specialized hybrid. Then in December last year I got a Specialized Road Bike.

I don't think you can decide which type of rider you're gonna be until you get out there and try it.

I started commuting which was about a 7 mile round trip. But then wanted to go further and went the longer route home. Then I started doing 100 miles a week for the whole of the summer last year. And loved it but notice I stuck to roads so then opted to buy my road bike.

So my advice would be take it at your pace and figure out what you enjoy about cycling and do that. You'll find it very enjoyable once you have found your cycling mojo. I look forward to this time next year when you'll be telling us about your first years cycling :smile:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
What is your budget?

Around £250 has been suggested by others, but it's an awkward sum - not quite enough to be sure of getting a good quality bike.

Spend £400+ and you are into nice bike territory.

OP
OP
dst87

dst87

Hi everyone! Sorry it's taken so long to reply - I did reply to a few messages but as I'm new the messages needed to be moderated. I think I've posted enough now to be allowed to post in real time, so I figured I'd save replies until the previous messages were approved!

Thank you so much for all of the advice and encouragement! It's great to see such a friendly and helpful community! For brevity I won't reply to each comment, but here are some general comments/answers based on your replies/questions!

What I want to do
A few people have mentioned that the key thing to consider is what surfaces etc. I want to ride on. I mentioned in a previous comment that I work from home, so I won't be doing a commute. Riding will be for exercise, exploration, and (hopefully) fun! Whatever bike I get should be suited to canal paths (I live right next to the Union Canal) which are totally paved in areas, and a little more rough in others. I'll also look to take the bike to forest paths and things like that which are available locally. Most suggestions are a hybrid, and that was Evans' suggestion too, so it seems about right. Eventually I'd like to be able to use the roads, and I appreciate the advice and comments about starting out there!

Weight Loss
Don't worry guys - I know cycling isn't a magic cure to weight loss. It's about diet, and I have Weight Watchers for that. It's going well! What I want, though, is something to improve my fitness and this is where I see cycling coming in (though I'm sure it'll help with weight loss a little bit...) I'll have to take it slow, so again thanks for the tips in that regard to getting started.

I actually saw a link to The Amazing 39 Stone Cyclist on another thread as I was browsing - so inspirational! Thanks for bringing it up here too, as I might easily have missed it!

Storage
Ok, ok! I'll store it inside!! :okay: I have a space bedroom (a junk room we call The Dead Room) where it could go, but as it's upstairs I expect the bike will stay in the hall, which my boyfriend hasn't so far objected to... I like the idea that it'll be there every time I go upstairs or come in / leave. It might nudge me to take the bike the Tesco instead of the car... (we do regular small shops)

Budget
I've been looking at bikes up to £600 from Evans. My life insurance plan gives me 50% off the first £500, so a £600 cycle will cost £350 after cashback. Obviously I don't want to spend more than is necessary, but happy to pay the money for the right bike (not that I fully understand what that is!) Obviously if there are any recommendations that you think I should take a ride of while in the store, let's hear 'em!

Future Progress
I'll definitely keep you in the loop, in exchange for the advice and support that I've no doubt is on offer here. In fact I'll probably be right on here after my first ride to let you know how I'm doing! I'd love for this to be something I can enjoy / get addicted to as someone suggested. I've been looking for exercise that I enjoy for ages now, and cycling certainly appeals to me.

--

I don't know what other questions I have... I've been advised to get some padded cycle shorts, the thought of which terrifies me (do I want to inflict that on Falkirk?) but if it makes riding significantly more comfortable then it may be worth it. Any other essential newbie purchases, please let me know!!!

vickster

Legendary Member
You wear cycling shorts next to the skin, there's nothing to stop you wearing baggies over the top. Just get some bike clips to stop the trousers getting snagged, or you can go for 3/4s or long shorts. It will protect your tender bits from the saddle until you toughen up, certainly a good idea IMO if on the larger size :smile:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As a larger gentleman, tubby Mike Ashley is your friend - his Sports Direct shops stock larger sizes.

The stuff is cheap and cheerful. but will get you started.

Padded cycling shorts, as Vickster says, can be worn under ordinary shorts.

Sports Direct also has combination cycling/ordinary shorts, which would save you buying two garments.

Casual clothing you already have will do for the rest of your cycling outfit.

No need for £100 cycling shoes at this stage, any shoes/trainers will do, although the stiffer the sole the better.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Duncan, if you need help in picking your new bike give me a shout. Maybe @ScotiaLass will come too.
For riding the Union Canal you need something comfy, preferably easy to clean ... yes, bikes must be cleaned too :laugh:especially if you decide to ride further towards Edinburgh, where the surface is horrendous.
You'll soon get bored of the same routes, your bike should be a bit adaptable.
A bike in the home is like having a pet :smile: you wouldn't leave a pet out all night, would you? Get the spare room ready for the new arrival ^_^

ScotiaLass

Guru
Duncan, if you need help in picking your new bike give me a shout. Maybe @ScotiaLass will come too.
For riding the Union Canal you need something comfy, preferably easy to clean ... yes, bikes must be cleaned too :laugh:especially if you decide to ride further towards Edinburgh, where the surface is horrendous.
You'll soon get bored of the same routes, your bike should be a bit adaptable.
A bike in the home is like having a pet :smile: you wouldn't leave a pet out all night, would you? Get the spare room ready for the new arrival ^_^
Happy to help out and show you a few rides locally, to get you started :smile:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
What about an Adventure bike or a CX bike. They look like a road bike with the same gear shifters but are a bit tougher with fatter wheels. I have a CX bike, my winter bike, and I adore him. I take it on the road, up trails, through woods, up and down hills and generally have a blast on him.
The 29ers (Mountain bikes) are epic for riding on trails, roads and anywhere else you could want to ride. @ScotiaLass is the one for chapter and verse on 29ers.

We definitely want to hear about your rides. We have a whole thread dedicated to tales of rides. We obviously want to see pics of your new bike. Very big on pictures on this forum ^_^

buggi

Bird Saviour
Fatness: don't worry about it, you're only 19 stone. one guy on here lost double your weight.

Transportation: there is no shame in walking in areas you feel uncomfortable. when you do cycle, either on urban or city roads, adopt what we call primary position at all junctions (pm me your email and i'll send you our training manual that we use to train our cyclists at work). or buy cyclecraft (but my book is free and it's basically the same advice). It is highly likely you can get your bike in your car, as most bikes now have quick release wheels, and i can get my extra large frame in my Toyota Aygo!

Adjustments: Yes, get Evans to fit it, or a local bike shop (LBS). they will adjust the seat and everything so you don't get creaky knees. if you find the saddle uncomfortable, get your pelvic sit bones measured (an LBS will do that) and get a new one, money well spent.

Storage: don't store it in the hallway. you may not be able to get out in a fire, it's No.1 advice from the fire service (after not smoking in bed and checking fire alarms) to make sure your escape routes are clear. I NEVER leave my bike in the hall when i go to bed. Find a corner in a room. I've got 3 bikes in the corner of my bedroom. put it on top of a sideboard if necessary, makes great wall art ;)

buggi

Bird Saviour
cyclo cross bikes are great. get rid of the chunky tyres and put on some schwalbe 28 or 32 commuting tyres. Less rolling resistance but still look chunky enough for the style of bike. i prefer my cross over my carbon road bike (shhh... don't tell anyone, coz it cost £1k less secondhand!)

Top Bottom