Advice for comfortable MTB saddle. OEM saddle is killing my butt cheeks!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AliShah2020

Hi all,

I really need your help please! I am new to biking. I just bought a really fab MTB. The bike is Lapierre Edge AM 727.
https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/1818/...-mountain-bike-2019-blackyellow.aspx#infospec

The saddle is so damn firm and hard it is absolutely killing my butt cheeks! It is seriously killing me after 50 mins of riding it is so hard. :blink::cry:

Can you please recommend a comfortable saddle? I ride 95% on the road/streets in London and about 5% in the local parks and hills. Comfort is a must for me (but it was look cool too!) . I don't know which saddle is good and if I need to worry about compatibility etc with the bike?

Many thanks for your help and response. :okay:

Heigue'r

Veteran
Have you been cycling another bike befire you bought this or just starting out?

OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

Have you been cycling another bike befire you bought this or just starting out?

Hi, this is my first time on a bike in twenty years.

During COVID19 it has been impossible to get any test ride at all as all bike shops are closed so I just took the plunge on bought the bike I liked the look for.

Being on furlough I wanted to make the most of the time with my children and decided to look online and take the plunge. I am sure the seat can be changed? Sadly most shops are closed, not answering emails/phone calls and I am unable to get good advice.

vickster

Legendary Member
Says he’s new to cycling.
What are you wearing while cycling? Any sort of padding?
Charge Spoon is a popular choice but saddles are extremely individual things.
And why does a saddle need to look cool, you’ll be sitting on it? 👍
just let your behind toughen up and then see (unless it’s actually giving you sores, so it might be the wrong width and shape)

OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

Says he’s new to cycling.
What are you wearing while cycling? Any sort of padding?

I tend to wear comfy stretch elastane jeans, or tracksuit when going for a leisurely ride on the local streets/roads and sometimes park. Why are OEM seats so hard? Last time I cycled was 20 years ago and seats were so much more comfortable back then! :secret: Is there a good MTB replacement saddle I could swap the OEM saddle with?

vickster

Legendary Member
I tend to wear comfy stretch elastane jeans, or tracksuit when going for a leisurely ride on the local streets/roads and sometimes park. Why are OEM seats so hard? Last time I cycled was 20 years ago and seats were so much more comfortable back then! :secret: Is there a good MTB replacement saddle I could swap the OEM saddle with?
They’re not necessarily hard, soft and squidgy can actually be worse. Get some padded undies, see if those help? Or just get a squidgy saddle and see if it’s better for you? The fitting is pretty much universal, you’ll just need an Allen key to undo the bolt(s).
measure your sit bones to make sure you get the right width, doesn’t need to be an ‘MTB’ saddle

Milzy

Guru
I found WTB Volts to be comfortable. Only way to get a perfect fitting saddle is to measure your sit bones and try a few out.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Saddles are so personal, it's hard to suggest something.

After some time out of the saddle I switched from a very hard saddle fitted as standard on a new bike a few months ago to a "comfier" one (I.e. softer), then after a few rides I've gone back to the hard one and much prefer it. I think that was just my sit bones hardening up again. I do seem to get on better with a firmer saddle.

Milzy

Guru
If your sit bones are 100mm apart add 25-30 mm on top and that's your saddle width required.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Your first stop should be a bike shop and get your sit bones measured. You wouldnt buy a pair of shoes without knowing the size of your feet.

We can throw all sorts of saddle names at you. But you need to know your size.

I know this as I have a shelf full of saddles which I bought before I finally got measured. I then got the correct size and its great.

Gunk

Guru
I would suggest a pair of padded cycling shorts, they do make a big difference. I wear them under a pair of lightweight mountain bike shorts.

Decathlon do a basic version for well under a tenner.

Tom B

Guru
It really is trial and error or a personal thing. Just because it's hard doesn't mean it's uncomfortable. I can't get on with heavily padded saddles or padded shorts or tights.

The problem here is more likely your behind is not really conditioned to cycling. I cycle pretty much daily, it's how I get around and I cover about 200 miles a week. The bit of my bottom that interfaces with the saddle is smooth and the skin conditioned to a saddle.

Just give it time and don't let it stop you cycling.

My bikes have charge spoon saddles fitted. Though I have just bought a selle saddle with a split in it to try.

Sharky

Guru
Don't forget that the weight of your body is not just taken on the saddle/bum, but also by your legs. As a newbie, your legs will not yet be used to cycling and as they get tired, more and more weight is taken on the saddle. This can explain why riders get saddle pain on longer rides. Every time you can predict hitting a rough patch on the road, lift your bum minutely off the saddle and take more of the weight on the legs/arms.

Also experiment with saddle tilt, fore/aft and saddle height. Tiny changes can make huge differences.

Good luck

Smudge

Veteran
My most comfortable saddle is the Wittkop trekking gel saddle that Lidl do in their cycling specials. I have it on two of my bikes. They are a bargain at £7.99.
You can get them new on ebay, but at twice the price with the sellers mark up.

Top Bottom