Advice for commuting on the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alcdrew

Hi All,

Been a while since I have posted on these boards.

I usually commute using bike paths, but these are shared by unpredictable padestrains and so I have been thinking more and more about actualy using the roads, I have biked on roads before but only quite country roads, the roads I will be using for the commute are fast 60mph roads, so I'm a little nervous.

So any one who uses fast paced busy roads what advice can you give me? Is it best to take primary or secondary? I would think secondary mostly. Also there's a lot of roundabouts, is there a best line to take on roundabouts?

My planed route - http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2235386

domtyler

Über Member
Primary position comes into its own where you have a multitude of hazards on the stretch of road you are cycling on and there is little speed differential. These can be side roads, junctions, pedestrians, bus stops, tube stops, islands, pinch points and so on.

These hazards are rare on fast A roads so you are better off cycling in secondary, I think, so that you are out of the stream of traffic altogether. This means that if someone is belting along at eighty and fiddling with their phone, sat nav or radio, lighting a fag or rolling a joint and don't happen to see you then it wont make any difference as you are out of harms way.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Try and have a read of John Franklin's "Cyclecraft" and Richard Ballantine's "City Cycling" - both are good primers.

biking_fox

Guru
I was very very dissapoiinted by Ballentine's City cycling.

Parts of it are ok, but parts are just wrong - and that leads you to doubt the rest of it. He advocates RLJ if "it doesn't unduly upset anyone" !!!

Unduly upset?!

Maybe he just about has a point if no-body else is there to notice, but even a tiny slightest bit of upset is completely wrong.

Back on Topic.
Try it. Do a trial run on a sunday so can get a feel for where you need to be. Fast roundabouts can be very scary, but essentially position yourself as you would a car. Signal clearly, be visible and watch the drivers who don't signal.

Roads are much faster cycling and if you can get an uninterrupted ride can be a lot more fun than stopping every 5m on the paths.

grhm

Veteran
Like others, I'd suggest a trial run on a weekend to test the route out when there is less traffic and less time pressure (it doesn't matter if you stop and get there late).

I'd also suggest there looks to be several opportunities to cut through quieter looking areas. E.g. turning left just after the 5 mile marker into Egerton Gate adn rejoin your marked route thru Fossey Close or Tattenhoe Street.

Without knowing the area and what the junctions are like it's hard to tell if any of the alternatives are easy or would involve a nightmare turn on a busy junction.

If you lack confidence, try going for a hybrid route that has some fast roads but uses paths and side streets for the rest of the journey. Once your confidence builds you can alter your route to include more direct, fast roads and cut own the slower, winding side streets and/or paths.

There's no point trying to do too much too soon and scareing yourself out of ever doing it at all.

Just my 2p's worth.

col

Legendary Member
Its been a long time since i did dual carriageway type roads,but i would say high visibility and regular checking whats coming behind would be high on my list,and getting used to how fast vehicles reach you from seemingly safe distances.Stay alert and good luck .

OP
OP
Alcdrew

Alcdrew

Cheers, for the advice. I think I will take a ride on the route one Sunday before doing it for real. But most my weekends are booked up this month with family stuff. So looks like a while longer on the path route. I may try and incorporate some more quite roads in the mean time just to get more road experience.

grhm, I like your idea of cutting through some quieter areas, will defo look into doing more of that. I was just thinking if I'm doing the road might as well go all out, but probably not the best idea I had.

grhm

Veteran
Going all out isn't necessarily a bad idea. But if you find your pushing hard to keep up a good speed on the busy fast roads, a quieter side street may offer a welcome breather.

Plus, I'd told interval training is good for you ;)

wafflycat

Yup - trial run at the weekend when the roads are quieter, to get to know the route properly. Over and above that, if you are not confident, see about getting some proper cycle training to national standards - Cyclecraft is the book used in the training.

http://www.cyclecraft.co.uk/
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4135

Plus - make sure your bike is in good order. Remember to take pump, spare innter tube, make sure you have working lights (and remember to use them when needed), carry spare batteries so you are not left without light - if you are using battery powered lights that is. Think too, about getting some reflectives to wear.

Willow

I did first commute on such roads today, round trip 14- well at least I've done half got the going home bit to do. It's absolutely fine and great when I did get to the bit where I'm usually stuck in traffic as I just whizzed through - well nearly if drivers didn't go so near to kerb! Main thing is when you do have to move over do it in plenty of time with long clear signal.

Worse thing for me was the flood in the toilets after I'd showered - took longer to clear that up than commute - obviously it's never been used before.

Willow

I would usually but as it was a designated cycle lane I thought people may have left space - well I was in optimistic mood given I had got that far without collapsing of exhaustion!

Maz

Guru
Alcdrew said:
I have biked on roads before but only quite country roads, the roads I will be using for the commute are fast 60mph roads, so I'm a little nervous.

So any one who uses fast paced busy roads what advice can you give me? Is it best to take primary or secondary?
I ride on 70mph dual carriageways. There's no way you can ride in primary because of the speed differential. Be in secondary. Make a habit of checking over your right shoulder - a sort of 'I've got my eye on you, Mr.Driver". Wear hi-viz so that you get seen good and early. If you have to negotiate a right turn at a RAB, move lanes nice and early signalling clearly all the time. Stay in primary on the approach to the RAB and whilst on the circulatory.

Read Cyclecraft if you haven't done so already!

soulful dog

Veteran
BentMikey said:
It's usually better to overtake a queue rather than undertake on the left. Undertaking leads to the undertakers. If you're worried about making your way back across the traffic when it starts moving, don't be. Nutty's guide here is quite good:

http://www.nuttycyclist.co.uk/cycling/filtering-1.htm
That's an interesting read. However, doesn't that sort of negate those advance stop lines at junctions? They often have approach lanes which are always on the left, and you're obviously not using them if you cycle up the middle of the road?

Sorry to piggyback on your thread Alcdrew, but how do people deal with cycling on twisty country roads where there are cars doing anything from 30-60mph and the road may be fairly narrow (i.e. wide enough for two cars but without any central line markings)? I tried taking a quiet back road home one day and even though I was only on it for about five minutes I didn't enjoy the experience.

Archie

Errrr.....
l-mac said:
That's an interesting read. However, doesn't that sort of negate those advance stop lines at junctions? They often have approach lanes which are always on the left, and you're obviously not using them if you cycle up the middle of the road?
Not really, they're still there and using the cycle lane isn't compulsory. Often they're an afterthought and ignored by motorists anyway, so generally I find approaching from the middle is best.

l-mac said:
Sorry to piggyback on your thread Alcdrew, but how do people deal with cycling on twisty country roads where there are cars doing anything from 30-60mph and the road may be fairly narrow (i.e. wide enough for two cars but without any central line markings)? I tried taking a quiet back road home one day and even though I was only on it for about five minutes I didn't enjoy the experience.

I find it's best to make the overtaking driver take on some of the risk of the maneuver. Keep a strong secondary or primary road position. If you think it may be safe for them to overtake then take secondary but ensure they have to decide if it's safe themselves. If you see oncoming traffic or the bend doesn't allow you to know then take primary.

If your too far left the temptation to risk it may be too much - but in that case the risk is all yours!

A bit of give and take helps too. If a queue has built up behind and you see a safe place to pull over then do so to allow the traffic to pass. I have a section like this on my commute and this seems to work for me.

Top Bottom