Advice for overweight man wanting to cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Evening all

Thank you so much for the replies, I really appreciate it.

In the end, I've ordered the Ridgeback I posted. After consulting with the Ridgeback website, XL goes up to 6'4" in height. I liked the fact the bike will come built, it was in stock ready to be delivered, and I could pay monthly. Really excited and eager to get started now.

I've also ordered some lights, a helmet, drinks bottle and holder and a puncture repair kit. Is there anything other essentials i will need? I'm trying to find padded bike shorts but struggling to find them in a big enough size.

Thanks again for all help given!
Just a heads up, I ordered a Ridgeback Vanteo and a helmet from CR on 7th April with a 10-12 working day dispatch estimate (4-5 days for accesories). It's now the 16th working day, no emails confirming dispatch yet. Most retailers are now giving long lead times which is understandable given the circumstances, especially if the the bike comes fully built, however, CR have closed their phone lines and don't respond to emails (not yet anyway), so be prepared for a long wait.

So I just got a reply to my latest email:

Thank you for your recent order with CycleRepublic.com.

I'm sorry to tell you that due to a technical processing error between our website and our order system, we have been unable to capture all of your order details and process your order.
A refund has been issued back onto the payment method used/
Please may I take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience experienced as a result of this technical error.

Back to square one!

OP
OP
B

BulletTheory05

Über Member
So I just got a reply to my latest email:

Thank you for your recent order with CycleRepublic.com.

I'm sorry to tell you that due to a technical processing error between our website and our order system, we have been unable to capture all of your order details and process your order.
A refund has been issued back onto the payment method used/
Please may I take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience experienced as a result of this technical error.

Back to square one!

That's so disappointing to hear 😑 I hope you get something sorted!

Thanks again for everyone's help. My puncture kit arrived today and has 3 tyre levers in it, so that's a good start. I've ordered some padded shorts. Will look into a pump and tool kit, and possibly a saddle bag

Thanks all. Happy riding

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
You could also look at steel framed touring bikes. They are made to be durable and to carry the extra weight of panniers full of touring kit. I could personally recommend the Ridgeback Panorama, size XL (60cm).... I'm sure there must be some good second hand ones out there, and they will be robust. Whatever you buy, as a 300 pounder myself, I can strongly recommend from personal experience getting your LBS to replace the spokes in the rear (main weight-bearing) wheel with Alpine 3 triple-butted spokes. It is also worth investing in strong, durable tyres and self-sealing inner tubes if you are worried about the effect of your weight.

OP
OP
B

BulletTheory05

Über Member
You could also look at steel framed touring bikes. They are made to be durable and to carry the extra weight of panniers full of touring kit. I could personally recommend the Ridgeback Panorama, size XL (60cm).... I'm sure there must be some good second hand ones out there, and they will be robust. Whatever you buy, as a 300 pounder myself, I can strongly recommend from personal experience getting your LBS to replace the spokes in the rear (main weight-bearing) wheel with Alpine 3 triple-butted spokes. It is also worth investing in strong, durable tyres and self-sealing inner tubes if you are worried about the effect of your weight.

Are there any particular tyres it inners you recommend?

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Are there any particular tyres it inners you recommend?
I use Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres. They are not universally popular, as they are quite stiff to fit. They are bomb-proof, though, so well worth getting your LBS to fit them. I have always used Slime self-healing inner tubes as a belt-and-braces thing, as I'm not keen to change a Marathon tyre while out on the road. With this combination, I've done over 26,000 miles over 11 years with only two punctures, only replacing tyres when the tread wears away. Being a 22 stoner, I doubt I could have hoped for better results than that.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I use Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres.... over 26,000 miles over 11 years with only two punctures, only replacing tyres when the tread wears away.

That's an impressive result. A couple of questions; which tyre did you get the flats in, front/rear or one in each?
Also how many miles have you got out of your Marathons on the front and rear before deeming them worn out? I've heard of figures well north of 10k miles, especially on the front! I wonder if Greenguards have exactly the same carcass rubber composition as M+?

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
That's an impressive result. A couple of questions; which tyre did you get the flats in, front/rear or one in each?
Also how many miles have you got out of your Marathons on the front and rear before deeming them worn out? I've heard of figures well north of 10k miles, especially on the front! I wonder if Greenguards have exactly the same carcass rubber composition as M+?
I had one rear puncture that was entirely my own fault. Riding along a lane watching a squirrel run alongside, and I rode straight over the only sharp stone in the road. The front puncture last year was on the front wheel, immediately after pausing in a farm gateway strewn with sharp flint. I reckon I get about 6,000 miles out of a tyre before the thread wears too bald for my liking. I then change tyre and tube at the same time. Worth noting that I include gravel paths in my range of go anywhere rides.

OP
OP
B

BulletTheory05

Über Member
Hi all!

So my bike has finally arrived after some messing about with parcel force!

Someone said on here to pump up my tyres to the max psi, however it doesn't have the max psi on the tyre wall. Does anyone know what the max psi would be? Or is it different for different brands?

Also, one of the pedals came in a cardboard separately, and inside the box was 2 thin cable ties. Does anyone know what these ties are for please??

Thanks in advance!

vickster

Legendary Member
What tyres are they? Brand and size. There should be a psi or bar range on the tyre sidewall
Doubt the cable ties have any specific purpose

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi all!

So my bike has finally arrived after some messing about with parcel force!

Someone said on here to pump up my tyres to the max psi, however it doesn't have the max psi on the tyre wall. Does anyone know what the max psi would be? Or is it different for different brands?

Also, one of the pedals came in a cardboard separately, and inside the box was 2 thin cable ties. Does anyone know what these ties are for please??

Thanks in advance!
Never come across tyres without a pressure range moulded into them but sometimes it's only on one side.

This may help though,
Frank-Berto-Tyre-Pressure-Chart.jpg

Top Bottom