Advice for overweight man wanting to cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You will need a bike with very low gears, particularly if you live in an area that is not pan flat. You will also need to deal with maintenance issues which will be substantial. This is not because of your weight but because that is how bikes are nowadays.

si_c

Guru
I'm a little taller than you and weighed more or less the same, I started using a MTB which worked really well, I think the bike you are looking at is pretty muich a perfect choice to get started with. Looks pretty nice too.:okay:

Edit: To add - a bike like that is a perfect choice to get started with, reasonable specifications and no suspension. At that price point suspension setups are very heavy and don't perform very well, better to have a rigid fork and better tyres.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Another point not mentioned. Cycling is good for getting fitter. But not that good for losing weight. It may be something you would like to research.

But dont let that stop you getting a bike and getting out there. A bike ride is a great way to pass the time regardless of weight,

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'd also go the secondhand rigid MTB route, and I'd put some 26" x 2" Schwalbe Marathons on it. Why? Because they are bombproof tyres that roll ok and will take the weight of the rider. The problem with people recommending road bikes and hybrids with relatively narrow tyres, is that if you weigh 23 stone you'll have to pump them up to a silly high pressure to carry the load and not get pinch flats. That will pretty much guarantee an unpleasant harsh ride. On the other hand an MTB fitted with Marathons will be able to run lower pressures and give more comfort.
When starting out riding, you are likely to get a sore arse at first, especially if you overdo the saddle hours. You don't want the extra discomfort from rock hard over-inflated road tyres not really designed for heavy loads.

vickster

Legendary Member
Another point not mentioned. Cycling is good for getting fitter. But not that good for losing weight. It may be something you would like to research.

But dont let that stop you getting a bike and getting out there. A bike ride is a great way to pass the time regardless of weight,
He does say he wants to cycle for fitness. Presumably he’ll be addressing his diet and lifestyle at the same time :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I was going to say that the Decathlon Elops would be a good bike, steel, simple, sturdy with rear and front racks. That would have lent itself to all sorts of uses but has a surprisingly low weight limit, about 100kg, put on some gear (the rack holds 27kg) and you'd need to be built like a jockey to be under it's limit!

From experience of their bikes I'd say that's because Decathlon wheels are made from French cheese.

vickster

Legendary Member
I‘m sure the frame will take a greater weight, but presumably they’d use it to wriggle out of a warranty claim if there’s an issue

jay clock

Massive member
If it were me personally I would look at getting a 1990s steel non suspension mountain bike, put some 1.5” slick tyres on it and some decent brake pads. Then just ride it.

When I’d get down to sub 120kg id then look at something decent for £400 where I’d have more choice due to being lighter
what he said. and do pump tyres up to max PSI. And once you start cyclling, little and often is the way to go. do mile or two then a day off, then repeat. Week 2 do 2-3 miles and so on. Won't be long until you are doing 10-15 miles. However that is actually not much in the way of calories so don't get home and refuel on cake!

pete75

Evening all

Hope everyone is okay during this crazy time

Basically I want to get fit, and I'd like to do it through cycling.

I'm 35 and weigh a touch under 23 stone and I'm 6'4". So I need a bike that will take my weight and won't buckle under the sheer pressure of my size. I'd predominantly be riding on tarmac/road

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend any? My budget would be about 400 pound max I think.

Any help is appreciated, and if I need to provide more information please.let me know. Stay safe all
My lady friend has a mens Ridgeback mountain type bike -- as new £250 .
I can let you have photos , not sure if I can post them on here ?

stuarttunstall

Two years ago I was on the same position, 136KG and 6'2 so similar in size...

I purchased a Scott Sub Cross 10 Hybrid which had a rating of 120KG so as you can see I was a bit too heavy for it on paper..

Speaking to the bike shops and on here most agreed if anything the wheels would be the issue, touch wood I had one issue when two spokes went last year ... now this may have been down to my size or the country lanes I ride on or a combination of both... but on the whole no issues..

When I found out about the weight limits I did think of changing the bike order, I did see that Specialized to some hybrids up to 136KG ...

Two years later and 108kg at the last diabetic check the bike is still good to ride, and enjoyable ... Oh and with diet, exercise at the gym (when open) and the weekend bike I feel great..

This is an interesting site.... https://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/

Seems he has had health issues since i last read it but gives you an idea that a bike will take your weight :smile:

** Ps... I have noticed that a lot of bike manufactures seem to have took the "weight limit" off the specifications now **

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I re-started cycling in 1988 after years of motorcycling (the worst form of transport because you never need to walk anywhere) and thinking I was fit. I bought a Raleigh Maverick on impulse from a small bike shop in Ripon and took it away, saddle height un-adjusted, tyres not pumped, nothing set up. After three miserable miles heading back towards Summerbridge, about seven miles away, I was absolutely shattered and had bonked. A neighbour passed in her VW Kombi and said later that I looked so tired that she had considered stopping but thought I might feel insulted - I would have gladly accepted a lift! The experience was so depressing that I didn't touch the bike for several weeks. Then I began thinking: "Hang on - people ride bicycles for hundreds of miles, you should be capable of seven at least!" So I re-started and gradually built fitness. I mountain biked more when I settled in Rossendale, surrounded by some of the best mountain biking in Britain but I didn't get properly fit until 21 years after that when I went over to road cycling.

So good luck OP, don't push yourself too hard at first and give your body time to adjust to the new stresses. Stop snacking and drinking beer, walk as much as you can to compliment the cycling and remember that the improvement happens in the couple of days AFTER you have stressed the body, so eat wisely.

Brooks

Get yourself an old steel framed mountain bike and have it serviced at your LBS and spend the summer enjoying your bike. You'll learn so much more about cycling just by riding your bike, you'll learn what suits you and why it does as well. That way when or if it comes to buying a new bike you'll be really well informed about what is best for you.
If cycling isn't for you then you'll easy get your money back you laid out on the 2nd hand bike. I bought a 2nd hand bike 2 years ago for under £100 and I'm still riding it and in truth I'd get my money back if I sold it tomorrow.
I've been on a similar journey and diet play's a big part in where you want to go. Good luck!

OP
OP
B

BulletTheory05

Über Member
Evening all

Thank you so much for the replies, I really appreciate it.

In the end, I've ordered the Ridgeback I posted. After consulting with the Ridgeback website, XL goes up to 6'4" in height. I liked the fact the bike will come built, it was in stock ready to be delivered, and I could pay monthly. Really excited and eager to get started now.

I've also ordered some lights, a helmet, drinks bottle and holder and a puncture repair kit. Is there anything other essentials i will need? I'm trying to find padded bike shorts but struggling to find them in a big enough size.

Thanks again for all help given!

Top Bottom