Advice for overweight man wanting to cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
A pump?
Also, when the bike arrives and check what Allen keys you should carry. Head set, brakes, seat adjustment etc. You can get a multi tool which should have more than you need, but check that you can get to all the bolts with the tool.

Also worth joining one of the main cycling organisations to get third party insurance.

Happy cycling

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm yet to be convinced of the merits of either helmets or padded cycling shorts in general. All my riding is done wearing either polycotton trousers/shorts, or denim jeans. It works for me up to about 40 miles in a day, which is as far as I have any wish to ride or the free time available to spend doing it. I find breaking my rides intermittently to stop for a drink or have a look at something interesting I've seen, is sufficient to avoid too much discomfort.
I really can't be arsed with any of the other "serious cyclist" paraphernalia like clipless pedals, special cycling shoes, or lycra outfits either. The only thing I will recommend is wear cycling gloves, as they help reduce road vibration transmission to your hands and reduce injuries if you come off. I've had a couple of low speed MTB mishaps where I've toppled off after hitting something that's stopped me suddenly and having gloves on was beneficial.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm yet to be convinced of the merits of either helmets or padded cycling shorts in general. All my riding is done wearing either polycotton trousers/shorts, or denim jeans. It works for me up to about 40 miles in a day, which is as far as I have any wish to ride or the free time available to spend doing it. I find breaking my rides intermittently to stop for a drink or have a look at something interesting I've seen, is sufficient to avoid too much discomfort.
I really can't be arsed with any of the other "serious cyclist" paraphernalia like clipless pedals, special cycling shoes, or lycra outfits either. The only thing I will recommend is wear cycling gloves, as they help reduce road vibration transmission to your hands and reduce injuries if you come off. I've had a couple of low speed MTB mishaps where I've toppled off after hitting something that's stopped me suddenly and having gloves on was beneficial.
I actually took to wearing cycling shorts/longs/leggings cos I was fed up of wearing the arse out of my Jeans, it seemed just as I'd got em into the right kind of condition they'd wear in holes. Patched Denim might have been cool in the 70s even the 80s but these days and at my age I'd look like a Tramp. Far better to put a £20 pair of shorts on and save wrecking a good pair of Lee Coopers or Wranglers and as for wearing Polyester Trousers xx(...........................Good god man you'll be advocating Crimplene next cos you don't need to iron em.

jay clock

Massive member
I would also buy a track pump with a gauge and keep tyres pumped to the max

Other top tip is get saddle height right. Put pedal at bottom of travel then set seat height with heel on pedal and leg straight.. Then when you pedal with forefoot on pedal the leg will be almost straight but not quite. Rookie error is to be too low and cycling with bent knees... See here https://www.tredz.co.uk/help-advice/product-help/how-to/adjustments/set-your-saddle-height

Last edited:

stuarttunstall

I
Evening all

Thank you so much for the replies, I really appreciate it.

In the end, I've ordered the Ridgeback I posted. After consulting with the Ridgeback website, XL goes up to 6'4" in height. I liked the fact the bike will come built, it was in stock ready to be delivered, and I could pay monthly. Really excited and eager to get started now.

I've also ordered some lights, a helmet, drinks bottle and holder and a puncture repair kit. Is there anything other essentials i will need? I'm trying to find padded bike shorts but struggling to find them in a big enough size.

Thanks again for all help given!

I got my padded undershorts from Decathlon, I needed a bigger size myself at 136KG... these look like the newer version of mine

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/st500-padded-mountain-bike-under-short-black-id_8529624.html

There stuff is not bad price and good quality...

Plus if you need some shoes for mountain/hybrid style bikes like mine I got these

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/nh100-mens-walking-shoes-black-id_8354268.html

Classed as walking shoes but damn are they good quality for the money... comfortable, and as I only use them on the bike after two tears still like new...

These were recommended by people on here and for £9.99 I have no idea how they do it lol

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I

I got my padded undershorts from Decathlon, I needed a bigger size myself at 136KG... these look like the newer version of mine

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/st500-padded-mountain-bike-under-short-black-id_8529624.html

There stuff is not bad price and good quality...

Plus if you need some shoes for mountain/hybrid style bikes like mine I got these

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/nh100-mens-walking-shoes-black-id_8354268.html

Classed as walking shoes but damn are they good quality for the money... comfortable, and as I only use them on the bike after two tears still like new...

These were recommended by people on here and for £9.99 I have no idea how they do it lol
Exploiting cheap labour in the Developing World ;)

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Nice work :smile:

A couple of more general thoughts. As Steve in Denmark has already suggested weight loss is controlled far more by diet than exercise so look to hit this too; different things work for different people but I've had a lot of success with low carb and fasting. Only on lockdown am I actually seeing a decrease in weight as a direct result of exercise; and that's because I'm covering so much distance that I'm burning maybe 50% more calories on average than I'd ordinarly need as a baseline.

Also if you're exercising don't fixate on weight too much - when you weigh yourself also measure your chest, waist and hip circumference since mass is only some of the story and if exercising a lot the weight of the fat you lose will be offset by that of the muscle you gain; potentially suggesting your progress is slower than it really is. Since I started riding again this year I've reached a similar mass as I did earlier in the year through fasting; yet my waist is around 1.5cm smaller as more of that mass is leg muscle and less belly fat.

Seeing progress (falling weight and size, faster times, longer distances) is a great way of keeping you motivated so consider keeping a spreadsheet of your daily mass and measurements. Personally I found a GPS head unit with heart rate monitor was a gamechanger for me in terms of motivation and understanding - you might not want to go this far but at least using Strava on your phone will generate a good record of your rides, quantify any improvements and hopefully provide some encouragement.

Good luck :becool:

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
How about a rigid mtn bike?

I know when I started riding regularly I started with a basic bike and vowed I’d treat myself to something better if I was still going in three months time.

Other than that, getting in to a regular routine of going for a ride is the best way for you to get fit. Each ride doesn’t have to be far or long * to start. But frequency and consistency of your riding is.

* Your definition of far or long will be different to others.

Top Bottom