Advice for planning a 2- week UK bikepacking route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can you fit mudguards on there ? Might not rain all the time but wet roads persist for a while.

Of course you might get great weather - but March can be very Variable.

Three Sunday rides in march this year were at 3 degrees, 7 degrees and 9 degrees for me in the North West. Nice and dry though so good cycling days.

OP
OP
Oren_Hershco

Oren_Hershco

Thanks for all the info, guys! My time constraint, I understand, is not suitable for the UK or North America. I'll probably do the Montanas Vacias in Spain, or something similar.

https://bikepacking.com/routes/montanas-vacias/

March weather is impossible to predict and can vary from pleasant and sunny spring days to continuous heavy rain to a cold wintery blast from Siberia with snow and ice. Most winter days are rideable with suitable clothing.
Camping in cold wet, muddy conditions is hard. Most Youtube cold weather camping is shown in dry, frosty, snow conditions, which is easier.
The SW is warmer and wetter. I have toured Cornwall in early April. East Anglia is colder, dryer flatter with lots of good winter riding.
There is still a network of youth hostels for lightweight touring.
Note hours of daytime and night.

Regaring the need to dry out kit, many UK clothing systems are quick drying ( Paramo, Buffalo). If you go the Goretex route use a ( Pertex) windproof when it is not raining. Wool is still a good option for insulation.
Socks and boots are the real issue. Sealskinz waterproof socks work well. You need several changes of wool socks to protect feet from damage.
A high shoe/low boot with minimal foam padding is probably the best option .

Thanks for all the info, guys! My time constraint, I understand, is not suitable for the UK or North America. I'll probably do the Montanas Vacias in Spain, or something similar.

https://bikepacking.com/routes/montanas-vacias/

Ha! I was going to suggest that earlier but because it was so far away from where you were talking about it......^_^

Unfortunately, weather (in the form of sudden storms) is a big factor in that area too. Make sure you check forecasts religiously.

There's a Facebook group of the same name run by the guy who put the route together. There's a lot of support and encouragement available. People have donated spare parts that are available at different points along the route and there's a real vibe of bringing a nearly dead area back to life.

And the countryside is stunningly beautiful!

Regaring the need to dry out kit, many UK clothing systems are quick drying ( Paramo, Buffalo). If you go the Goretex route use a ( Pertex) windproof when it is not raining. Wool is still a good option for insulation.
Socks and boots are the real issue. Sealskinz waterproof socks work well. You need several changes of wool socks to protect feet from damage.
A high shoe/low boot with minimal foam padding is probably the best option .

Seems like a lot of expense for kit you'd never need back home though.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If you haven’t completely abandoned the idea of bike packing in the UK next March. I would consider looking at using hostels or bed and breakfast instead. It’ll be quiet, prices good, and you’ll have facilities to dry out / clean your cycle clothing each day. As others say the weather can’t be predicted. The trick is to have a set of clothing to wear during the day then have a change for the evening. You can then sort out your cycle clothing for the next day whilst wearing your clean and dry evening kit. You could easily spend the two weeks just exploring Wales , particularly Mid Wales which is a gem of a place to ride your bike, particularly off road.

Last edited:
Top Bottom