Advice for planning a 2- week UK bikepacking route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oren_Hershco

Hi,

I'm considering the UK for my next bikepacking trip.

The idea came from here: https://bikepacking.com/routes/gb-divide/

Having only about 11-13 days of riding, I won't be able to ride it all (I'll probably average 60-80 a day, depending on the terrain)

So, if you have to narrow the above route down, what would you recomnend?

Remark: I've cycled in Scotland, so I prefer areas I haven't seen before, such as Wales.

Additional questions:

1. My time-window is from the end of March. Does the weater "supports" this idea? What temps. and how much rain should I expect?

2. I generally like camping, but if legal campgrounds are too sparse, I would prefer to shave off the gear weight (instead of using it once every 5 days). Again, what's your opinion?

Background:
- I'll be 50YO in 2023
- I've been cycling on and off-road for +30y
- I've done several weeks-long bike touring trips
- My plan is to ride my rigid Ti-framed MTB, with 29x2.8" tires, rack and panniers

Attachments

• IMG_20220222_183219.jpg
    IMG_20220222_183219.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 9
My number one suggestion would be to go a bit later in the year if you possibly can - April or, even better, May - especially if you intend to camp.

Jameshow

Veteran
Could still be quite chilly but good clothing will compensate!

How about down through Wales Llangollen to hay on Wye, across to Cotswolds Stratford upon Avon, up the Foss way into the peak District.

U shape tour?!

chriswoody

Legendary Member
So, if you have to narrow the above route down, what would you recomnend?

Remark: I've cycled in Scotland, so I prefer areas I haven't seen before, such as Wales.

Sounds like you already know the answer^_^

Seriously though it's your tour and it's a tough route so making sure you enjoy it is key I would just recommend doing the parts you want to do and leave the rest for a future trip.

Weather wise it will be cooler in March obviously, the Met Office is a good place to look for climate data, here's a summary for March 2022, to give you a broad idea of what to expect in March. Data for other months is available here.

I generally like camping, but if legal campgrounds are too sparse, I would prefer to shave off the gear weight (instead of using it once every 5 days). Again, what's your opinion?

I'm not sure of the exact question? Are you worried about the legal situation or the weight? Legality wise, don't worry too much, you can often find somewhere tucked away out of sight in a small wood etc, or alternatively you can always ask farmers for permission, many are actually quite friendly and amenable. There are also many campsites in the UK, you'll probably be quite surprised.

Have you an account with Ride with GPS? If so open the route from bikingpacking.com in RWGPS, then toggle the layers to show OSM Outdoor, this will often show campsites on your route. I often spend a lot of time planning and pondering possible campsites etc on RWGPS i find it's part of the fun.

You can also go ultralight and take no camping gear and instead use B&B's hostels etc. There are a lot of them in the UK, however, the problem I potentially see, is that it means you need to reach a town/village every night possibly a problem if you're riding off-road? Again a bit of forward planning with maps will give you an idea.

Personally I would take my camping gear and leave all options on the table, if I'm going to be on the road for 15 days I'd like to mix up camping with a couple of hostel nights. I'd also be more than happy to wild camp as well as camping in campgrounds.

One other problem you need to ponder is where to start and finish the route and more importantly how to get there with your bike. Are you planning on using public transport? I no longer live in the UK, but from many threads on here, I gather that the trains are sadly hell in the UK and trying to travel by bike on them is worse. That's something that you'll need to look into and may dictate which section you ride.

Do also read through the comments at the bottom of the route on the bikepacking website, they are often a good source of information and tips from people who have actually ridden the road and give you a bit of an idea what to expect. The routes on the bikepacking website can often be quite tough and created by folk who do this a lot. Best of luck with your planning though and let us know how you get on.

Last edited:

IaninSheffield

Veteran
You've likely already done this, but if not, search YouTube for GB Divide. There's a good range of videos on there and although they might not answer all your questions, it might help on narrowing down the area(s) you might prefer to explore. Once you have that sorted do come back and ask for further details if needed - travel, accommodation etc.
Personally, I'd echo earlier comments and go for slightly later in the year if at all possible. The weather in March might be challenging ... unless of course that's something you enjoy.

If your stuck with the end of march - then start in the south for the best chance of decent weather.
I'd be surprised if many campsites are open that early so you might be better off with b&b's.

I only know the Cheshire part of your route and that's nothing too remote at all but I guess you'd need to research and book stays in advance.

HelenD123

Guru
A lot of campsites don't open until the Easter weekend.

Personally, I love Wales, but it can get pretty wet. I would start with the Wales bit then see how far north you can get. If you need to use public transport to get to a return airport/transport you'll have more options in the northern England section.

I'm presuming you're not from the UK so watch out for Caravan parks. They might look like campsites (and be marked as such on maps) but they won't accept tents! As I learned the interesting way ^_^

Sounds like a great trip! Best of luck with the planning and do please update us.

If you stick to Wales, although the weather will be very ... variable*, you should find accomodation is very cheap in March (away from the cities, of course!)
There are now lots of independent hostels in the smaller towns and villages, so you should find places to dry out your kit every night :smile:

*I've had some GREAT days in March over there!

OP
OP
Oren_Hershco

Oren_Hershco

. . . so you should find places to dry out your kit every night :smile:
So I understand I'll need to dry out my kit every day? Hmm.

I do have to mention that I'm from a very dry country (Israel), where we are absolutely ignorant about riding in the rain. Of course I don't expect anything like it in the UK. Lets say, having a drizzle half the time is acceptable. Riding for two weeks in nasty weather - less acceptable.

tfc03

Veteran
Better chance of staying dry if you avoid Wales! Given you started with the idea of the GB divide this overlaps quite a bit with the North Pennine Cycleway. It won't be dry either and there might be a bit of snow in March but its a great route. There are a couple of hostels en route that might help with drying out now and then! You could extend by cycling back from the end in Berwick on Tweed to Newcastle on the Coast and Castles route, or go on to Edinburgh from Berwick on the same route [Scotland but maybe not the bit you did before!]
https://cycle.travel/route/pennine_cycleway
https://www.sustrans.org.uk/find-other-routes/coast-and-castles-south-newcastle-to-edinburgh/

I do have to mention that I'm from a very dry country (Israel), where we are absolutely ignorant about riding in the rain. Of course I don't expect anything like it in the UK. Lets say, having a drizzle half the time is acceptable. Riding for two weeks in nasty weather - less acceptable.

The thing about our beautiful islands is the weather is so changeable; we don't have a rainy season where you can expect Ymm of rain every day for 2months. EVERY month can have dry days, EVERY month can have hours of rain.
March in Wales tips the probabllities towards wet; you will probably get a few very nice days. But if you are not at least prepared for many wet days, you take a high risk of not enjoying the trip. I don't think we can give more accurate guidance than that!

n.b. you might also get a little snow - in fact it's almost certain on the highest N-facing slopes. Should be beautiful :smile:

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious but even on non rainy days you'll need to consider the impact of previous rain on off-road routes.
Researching alternatives may not be a bad idea.
I'd try to reach out to locals or search out people who have done it before. MTB clubs etc close to where you plan to go may be helpful and I'm sure Facebook has groups. As always CrazyGuyOnABike may have info or sources too. Warmshowers hosts may be helpful too - but I wouldn't sign up just for that.

Unfortunately weather seems to be becoming more and more unpredictable.

Top Bottom