1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice from niece... please wear a helmet!

Discussion in 'Helmet Discussions' started by MontyVeda, 27 Jul 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MontyVeda

MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

My niece, who i am very close to practically begged me to wear a helmet whilst cycling.

Why? Because she'd recently right hooked a cyclist and thus decided that cycling is dangerous!

Of course the right hook wasn't her fault because the cyclist wasn't wearing high-vis or a helmet, and didn't have lights on his bike at 9.30pm... oh, and he was in her blind spot.

When i pointed out that the lack of high vis or a helmet had nothing to do with it, and that 9.30pm in mid summer is broad daylight... and that he wouldn't have been in her blind sport when she drove past him just before the right hook, all she could think of was "Please wear a helmet uncle monty... i worry about you!"

"Please pay attention when you're driving... because that's going to make me a hell of a lot safer than a helmet!"
    tyred, buggi, JMAG and 9 others like this.
  2. w00hoo_kent

w00hoo_kent One of the 64K

So, at no point during the conversation did she admit responsibility for her actions? That is pretty scary. I guess all you can hope is that you don't find yourself sharing road with her.
    Davidc, Bianchi boy and Saluki like this.
  3. OP

Humans do have a habit of convincing themselves that they're not at fault. I think I gave her something to think about.

edit... I'd also like to add that the cyclist was relatively unharmed and rode off after the incident, and my niece did report it to the police the same day.
    Last edited: 27 Jul 2015
  4. Phil Fouracre

Phil Fouracre Senior Member

Perhaps you should suggest that a better way to improve your cycling safety is if she retakes her test :-)
    tyred and Bianchi boy like this.
  5. Tell her that you'll agree to wear a lid if she agrees to txt you every day with the colour of the last 10 bikes she drove past along with a note of whether the rider was a man or a women.

May help to increase her cycle awareness. Mistakes happen at least she realised and, by the sounds of it, felt some guilt/ responsibility.
    buggi likes this.
  6. OP

I believe that the driving test should be re-taken every five years... but that too impractical, unfortunately.
  7. Phil Fouracre

Phil Fouracre Senior Member

i agree with you about retaking tests, if not five, then why not ten years? I never quite understand why there is such a problem with using retests and a sliding scale of loss of licence as a penalty for poor driving. I know people treat being able to drive as an inalienable right, but, in so many cases they really shouldn't be allowed to. I read on one forum a while ago that you should have sympathy for drivers as 'it was so difficult to do'! Sorry if that's the case, and you really find it that difficult then you shouldn't be doing it.
  8. Adrian

Adrian Heed the elf's wisdom

Guilt transference.
    stoatsngroats and mcshroom like this.
  9. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Guru

But get her to wait until she's parked before she sends the txt.
    Saluki, summerdays and jonny jeez like this.
  10. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

It's a good example to bear in mind if you ever doubt that every other road user is trying to kill you.

I had a cyclist cut me up on a roundabout couple of days ago. Dodged him easily, but he was clearly making an attempt on my life.
  11. You would give he much more to think about if you introduced her to the Institute of Advanced Motorists or RoSPA Roadar and did something about her level of driving.
    glasgowcyclist and coffeejo like this.
  12. w00hoo_kent

You could suggest she gives riding a bike a try. Tell her she's fine to wear a helmet if she wants to.
    Milkfloat likes this.
  13. coffeejo

coffeejo Ælfrēd

West Somerset
    That's a bit sensible for this time of the morning.
    SatNavSaysStraightOn likes this.
  14. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

yebbutt don't IAM teach you to be in the wrong gear and avoid using indicators where possible as it saves the batteries
  15. w00hoo_kent

They can be a bit one true way. When I did it 10+ years ago they seemed to have lost the love of driving to become a conveyor belt for certificates. From what I've heard RoSPA are the tougher option.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.