Advice from niece... please wear a helmet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My niece, who i am very close to practically begged me to wear a helmet whilst cycling.

Why? Because she'd recently right hooked a cyclist and thus decided that cycling is dangerous!

Of course the right hook wasn't her fault because the cyclist wasn't wearing high-vis or a helmet, and didn't have lights on his bike at 9.30pm... oh, and he was in her blind spot.

When i pointed out that the lack of high vis or a helmet had nothing to do with it, and that 9.30pm in mid summer is broad daylight... and that he wouldn't have been in her blind sport when she drove past him just before the right hook, all she could think of was "Please wear a helmet uncle monty... i worry about you!"

"Please pay attention when you're driving... because that's going to make me a hell of a lot safer than a helmet!"

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
So, at no point during the conversation did she admit responsibility for her actions? That is pretty scary. I guess all you can hope is that you don't find yourself sharing road with her.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
My niece, who i am very close to practically begged me to wear a helmet whilst cycling.

Why? Because she'd recently right hooked a cyclist and thus decided that cycling is dangerous!

Of course the right hook wasn't her fault because the cyclist wasn't wearing high-vis or a helmet, and didn't have lights on his bike at 9.30pm... oh, and he was in her blind spot.

When i pointed out that the lack of high vis or a helmet had nothing to do with it, and that 9.30pm in mid summer is broad daylight... and that he wouldn't have been in her blind sport when she drove past him just before the right hook, all she could think of was "Please wear a helmet uncle monty... i worry about you!"

"Please pay attention when you're driving... because that's going to make me a hell of a lot safer than a helmet!"
Tell her that you'll agree to wear a lid if she agrees to txt you every day with the colour of the last 10 bikes she drove past along with a note of whether the rider was a man or a women.

May help to increase her cycle awareness. Mistakes happen at least she realised and, by the sounds of it, felt some guilt/ responsibility.

i agree with you about retaking tests, if not five, then why not ten years? I never quite understand why there is such a problem with using retests and a sliding scale of loss of licence as a penalty for poor driving. I know people treat being able to drive as an inalienable right, but, in so many cases they really shouldn't be allowed to. I read on one forum a while ago that you should have sympathy for drivers as 'it was so difficult to do'! Sorry if that's the case, and you really find it that difficult then you shouldn't be doing it.

Tim Hall

Tell her that you'll agree to wear a lid if she agrees to txt you every day with the colour of the last 10 bikes she drove past along with a note of whether the rider was a man or a women.

May help to increase her cycle awareness. Mistakes happen at least she realised and, by the sounds of it, felt some guilt/ responsibility.
But get her to wait until she's parked before she sends the txt.

Tin Pot

Guru
It's a good example to bear in mind if you ever doubt that every other road user is trying to kill you.

I had a cyclist cut me up on a roundabout couple of days ago. Dodged him easily, but he was clearly making an attempt on my life.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
They can be a bit one true way. When I did it 10+ years ago they seemed to have lost the love of driving to become a conveyor belt for certificates. From what I've heard RoSPA are the tougher option.

They can be a bit one true way. When I did it 10+ years ago they seemed to have lost the love of driving to become a conveyor belt for certificates. From what I've heard RoSPA are the tougher option.
RoSPA are much tougher. I have held the Gold certificate for RoSPA for 23 years and you retest every 3 years if you get Gold or Silver (Grade I or II) and every year for Bronze. They are also much stricter as well. IAM is a one off, but it is a good place to start (or at least was 23 years ago). I have been an observer/tutor/whatever they are calling us this week for both, note the past tense. I quit 4 years ago on the teaching it voluntarily side of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom