Wearing hats under helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This is possibly the most uninteresting thread I've ever started.

It sometimes crops up on CC that helmet manufacturers advise against wearing anything under a helmet. I always thought this was the case, and I'm sure I've read such advice in a Specialized leaflet at some time, years ago.

Anyway - for reasons best known to myself (actually, even I have no idea why I did it) I did a quick survey of helmet manufacturers info on the web to see what they say.

In summary, Bontrager do give this advice. Giro and Specialized don't, but do say not to wear anything with hard bits under the helmet. Kask don't mention the subject.

Specialized
WARNING: Do not use any accessories, such as caps or beanies, which interfere in any way with the fit of your helmet or your ability to see or hear while riding. Only use cycling-specific caps or other accessories ....

Kask - no mention

Giro
4) DON'T Wear anything hard or sharp under your helmet

Bontrager
Anything between your head and the helmet can reduce the protection. A cap, scarf, or even some high-volume hairstyles might allow the helmet to move during an impact. Barrettes, headphones, or anything else under your helmet can injure you if the helmet is impacted.

POC, Lazer - unable to find a manual or FAQ on the web.

All other brands - got bored and gave up.

Thank you for your dedication in reading this tedious post.

Drago

Legendary Member
But no mention of toupees, so I should be OK,

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't know why I cut THE Specialized advice short. In full it says:
WARNING: Do not use any accessories, such as caps or beanies, which interfere in any way with the fit of your helmet or your ability to see or hear while riding. Only use cycling-specific caps or other accessories and before you do so make sure you follow all of the fitting instructions in this manual and perform the outlined safety check. Do not wear any accessories with rigid protrusions (e.g. buttons) under your helmet as it may cause a head injury during a crash.

Fascinating, innit.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I wear a thin headband, otherwise the sweat drips in my eyes, dont have enough hair to absorb it!

Cycling cap if raining to keep the rain of the glasses, skull cap if cold.

I think the "not having buttons or sharp bits on it" is just common sense, see also: fastening a light or camera to it or having one integrated into it.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
By the way, all of the ones I looked at (Spesh, Bontrager, Kask and Giro) explicitly state not to attach anything to the helmet. At least nothing unless recommended by the manufacturer.

Bontrager, who obviously paid a bit more to their arse covering lawyers and thus got more words in return, go a bit further to say that this "includes stickers or adhesive labels"

Reactions: mjr
Who WOULD wear something sharp underneath their helmet anyway ??

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I don't know why I cut THE Specialized advice short. In full it says:
WARNING: Do not use any accessories, such as caps or beanies, which interfere in any way with the fit of your helmet or your ability to see or hear while riding. Only use cycling-specific caps or other accessories and before you do so make sure you follow all of the fitting instructions in this manual and perform the outlined safety check. Do not wear any accessories with rigid protrusions (e.g. buttons) under your helmet as it may cause a head injury during a crash.

Fascinating, innit.

Meanwhile, this Specialized manual says:
WARNING: Do not wear anything underneath your helmet, such as a cap, hood, bundled hair, headphones, barrettes, as the helmet may loosen or come off.
and
WARNING: Do not attach anything to your helmet, including mirrors or lights

It is even more fascinating that different Spesh models require different precautions.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Meanwhile, this Specialized manual says:
WARNING: Do not wear anything underneath your helmet, such as a cap, hood, bundled hair, headphones, barrettes, as the helmet may loosen or come off.
and
WARNING: Do not attach anything to your helmet, including mirrors or lights

It is even more fascinating that different Spesh models require different precautions.

I *knew* I'd seen similar advice from Spesh somewhere. Possibly a timing thing, advice may change over time.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There was an old man up the road who used to put a helmet over the top of his flat cap when he cycled to the shop.

When I was in Sweden, where helmets are less common than here, I saw an grey haired lady riding very sedately along a bike path on a city bike with what looked like a too-small helmet rather rakishly balanced on top of a very bouffant hairdo. Very incongruous.

I suppose like many product warnings they are a mixture of common sense and legal arse-covering. Like "WARNING: Contents Hot" on a container of hot food or drink.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sort of on topic. I just heard on the Giro commentary that in the foul weather earlier in the race one rider removed his helmet while riding to put on a beanie underneath. The UCI spotted this and gave him a stern talking to, but let him off. (For riding without a helmet, not for wearing a beanie under his helmet ;) ).

Although it wouldn't surprise me if they have daft rules - that they never apply except in the most inappropriate of circumstances - related to beanies.

Top Bottom