Wearing hats under helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Seeing as helmet covers of almost infinite type and style are freely available I do wonder why anyone feels the need to put something under the lid.

Alex321

Veteran
Seeing as helmet covers of almost infinite type and style are freely available I do wonder why anyone feels the need to put something under the lid.

I wear a peaked cap under mine in conditions of low sun or significant rain, to keep sun or rain out of my eyes.

I'm sure I could get a helmet cover with a similar peak, but I already had the cap - why buy another?

yello

I wonder why a beanie/cap has to be "cycling specific" (according to whichever manufacturer). I mean, obviously there will be 'common sense' no-noes but maybe said manufacturer is doing arse covering 'hot contents' advice.

My wife has thick hair and gave up trying to get a helmet to fit comfortably/securely. I wonder if some manufacturers advise shaving your head?

I, a near slap head, have a beanie and a number of caps (cycling specific, so I'm safe ;) ) for the rare occasions I wear a helmet.

Cool thread :smile:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If you are bald, the risk of skin cancer is greater than the risk of a cycling head injury, so some sort of cover under a helmet, if you wear one, is essential on bright days. A normal Buff is not enough and I've been burnt through one (I'm not even ginger!). The thicker UV Buffs are ok.

gom

Über Member
A plus of being bald is one can cultivate some interesting tan lines on the dome, in much the same way as cycling mitts allow on the hands.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Another baldie here. I don't use caps, instead opt for a bandana. It's super thin so there's practically no change to how the helmet fits, and protects you from UV just as well as a hat. It also makes you look like a bit like a pirate when you take the helmet off.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I started this thread purely out of curiosity about what the manufacturers say. But does it really matter?

Unless you are planning to sue them because you feel that their product failed to protect you from an injury*, and you were wearing "barrettes" or similar, then no, it doesn't matter at all.

Aside from that common sense should suffice.

Attaching hard or spiky things to your head like a camera or barrettes (it's my word of the day) when cycling is probably not an excellent idea. Maybe not all that[ bad but it's up to you to consider the incremental risk.

Making amendments to a lightweight thing designed to protect you**, when that thing is made of polystyrene and the amendments involve adhesives that may contain solvents is also probably somewhat short of excellent.

But if you want to wear a beanie or cycle cap under one, well, it's up to you but I would have thought that common sense suggests there is little if any appreciable risk. IMHO, IANAE. Please don't sue me. ;)

*Good luck with that.

** For balance: Some might say it's designed to relieve you of your cash. I couldn't possibly comment.

icowden

Veteran
I wonder why a beanie/cap has to be "cycling specific" (according to whichever manufacturer). I mean, obviously there will be 'common sense' no-noes but maybe said manufacturer is doing arse covering 'hot contents' advice.
Probably. I think the assumption is that a cycling specific cap or beanie will be thin and therefore not interfere with the fitting of the helmet.
I have to wear one in cold weather or my now balding head can't take it.

Similarly fitting a go pro or whatever to your helmet is just putting a hard bit of metal ready to do you some head injury - hence all helmet manufacturers advise against. If someone has designed a thing to do a thing, then changing the design by customising it is highly likely to negate any safety work the designer has done.

DogmaStu

I wear an appropriate helmet when cycling and do sometimes wear a beanie or a cap depending upon the weather. The helmet is not compromised by the additional headgear since it is still firmly fastened and the beanie/cap specifically designed to go under a helmet.

Mostly, just the helmet though.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's almost always a buff for me, under my crash helmet.
Being on my mid 60s and lacking much hair, I generally wear a hat outdoors in all weathers, but might go without the buff if it's for just a 5 minute ride into town for some shopping.
One of my pals, a bit older than me, is just recovering from surgery to remove a skin cancer from the top of his head. He has been much less careful of keeping his bonce out of the sun. Until recently........

Top Bottom