Advice needed. Any jazz fans around?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
It's my uncle's 80th birthday next week and he is a great man who used to take me to loads of places when I was a kid so I wanted to mark his 80th with a special gift.

He's a huge fan of jazz music and I know Stan Getz, Dizzie Gillespie, Charlie Mingus and jazzers of that era were high on his list of likes.

The thing is, I never got in to it myself so I'd be lost in knowing what to go for so could someone recommend a 'must have' album or DVD of that sort of era? Maybe some compilation or recently-released tribute thing of a jazzer of high calibre?

Over to you jazz fans to guide me here. If you would!

It's my uncle's 80th birthday next week and he is a great man who used to take me to loads of places when I was a kid so I wanted to mark his 80th with a special gift.

He's a huge fan of jazz music and I know Stan Getz, Dizzie Gillespie, Charlie Mingus and jazzers of that era were high on his list of likes.

The thing is, I never got in to it myself so I'd be lost in knowing what to go for so could someone recommend a 'must have' album or DVD of that sort of era? Maybe some compilation or recently-released tribute thing of a jazzer of high calibre?

Over to you jazz fans to guide me here. If you would!
Classic jazz album? "Kind of Blue" Miles Davis.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Sorry everyone, he does have a vinyl collection and also has CDs and DVDs so all those can be considered. Maybe even a newly released book (although no Kindle or electronic reader so it would have to be papyrus!) Even though he's 80, he's very fit and active and mentally alert.

Also not a jazz fan, but ......

Jazz has a long history

Can you find an album from the year of his birth, or even better a track released on the date of his birth

Often it is the thought and effort that is important

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Or take him to see Herbie Hancock in Ghent on 7th July. He too is in his 80s I think.

Myself and @Fab Foodie Will be there.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Not wishing to put the kybosh on this, but there's a big risk he'll have most of the classic albums that anyone on here will have heard of, unless you can take a sneaky peek.

That said, there are a lot of stonking value box sets around these days, including 6 or 8 CDs from various artists if you can see a big name artist missing from his shelves. Suggestions on this vane could include Louis Armstrong hot 5 or hot 7 box, or a rather good Mingus set, or Monk if he likes more modern stuff.

Or a trip to a gig somewhere

Top Bottom