Advice needed. Any jazz fans around?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Find out his favourite track and get it played on Jazz Record Requests.

robjh

Legendary Member
If he has all the classic albums get him something by a new(ish) artist, ie Kamazi Washington.

Go for a modern classic - proper jazz fans always look to the future:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/dec/09/best-albums-of-2015-no-8-the-epic-by-kamasi-washington
Seriously, look for other reviews.

Kind of blue - don't go there.
As others have said, jazz covers several sub-genres and can be quite tribal. There's a real risk that someone who got into jazz in the 50s may not appreciate more modern stuff (I'm basing this on my Dad's tastes - trad, trad and more trad, a bit of big band swing and not much else).

If you can be fairly sure of the type of jazz you're after then I would go for some live music somewhere. There are a number of jazz weekends in hotels up and down the country which are popular with people of that age, but a whole weekend of it may be a bit much for the OP if he wants to go with his uncle!

Philhh

For a change something by Abdullah Ibrahim the African recordings are sometimes a bit special and not too well known I think - look for one with" soweto's where it's at" thats on the album Tintinyana but it seems quite hard to get hold of or "African sun" or" voice of africa "or "African market "place under his first name Dollar Brand. He is a prolific recording artist-Duke Ellington once lent him his Orchestra when he was in exile from apartied in the States!

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Talk to him and ask about a long lost album or a rare recording he failed to acquire, then over to Amazon et al to track it down for him .

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I agree with all the warnings about he's probably already got all the classics. Also I'd hesitate to buy him something contemporary - it's far from certain he'd like it. If I had to choose an album he might not have, in the kind of Getz/Gillespie/Mingus territory, it would probably be either Somethin' Else by Cannonball Adderley or Night Train by Oscar Peterson, but for another 'lateral' suggestion, if you could get to his record collection while he's not around, look for a classic that looks beat-up and well-loved/much-played and get him a new copy.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Another suggestion - there's a book called "But Beautifull" by Geoff Dyer. It's a well written imagined (ie fictional) account of various meetings and events in Jazz history. Sounds daft and a bit presumtious but a good read and I enjoyed it

Top Bottom