Advice needed for commute: Waterloo to Maidenhead on A4?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LostBoy

Normally do my daily 7 miles down the A23 but have developed an allergy to the trains and need to get to maidenhead after work (one way). Just wondering what route to take and if there's any bits I should try to avoid etc?

Had a look at tfl's route planner (Waterloo to Heathrow terminal 5) but what they suggest isn't always the 'best' cycle route. Welcome any recommendations or links, TIA.

Norm

From T5, it's a lovely ride through Datchet and Windsor to Maidenhead.

Plan B, wriggle through from Waterloo to the A4 in Knightsbridge then follow that all the way to Maidenhead. It's not the most scenic of routes but it's flat and easy and not hugely busy as the heavy traffic is on the motorway.

The Sustrans route (play about with the magnification on this map suggests keeping close to the Thames and coming down via Kingston.

skrx

Norm said:
Plan B, wriggle through from Waterloo to the A4 in Knightsbridge then follow that all the way to Maidenhead. It's not the most scenic of routes but it's flat and easy and not hugely busy as the heavy traffic is on the motorway.

Hmm? The A4 is the main road from Knightsbridge to Chiswick, where the M4 starts. It's awful, 2-3 lanes each way, no bus lanes, gyratories, 50+mph traffic... Perhaps you meant the A315 (Knightsbridge, Kensington High Street, King St, Chiswick High Road etc)? That's much nicer, and is often surprisingly quiet.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I did the A4 daily as the last few miles of my cycle commute to Chiswick. Its fast and ugly, and I only did it from Hammersmith. No risk of SMIDSYs (as there are no turnings onto it) but you do get the feeling that one bad move kills you.

I think Norm's PlanB suggests using the A4 only WEST of the M4 exit. That leaves lighter traffic on the Great West Road, Bath Road, Colnbrook By Pass, London Road, Bath Road, Bridge Road.

I think I'd take skrx's A315 to Brentford, then give the A4 a go before you end up too far South. Alternatively, jump off the 315 at Hounslow, and get on Bath Road directly.

OP
OP
L

LostBoy

Thanks for the replies guys, the only bit of A4 that I'm used to is the approach to the M4 (by car) and that would be insania by bike. Plotting my route with the info above...

Norm

skrx said:
Hmm? The A4 is the main road from Knightsbridge to Chiswick, where the M4 starts. It's awful, 2-3 lanes each way, no bus lanes, gyratories, 50+mph traffic... Perhaps you meant the A315 (Knightsbridge, Kensington High Street, King St, Chiswick High Road etc)? That's much nicer, and is often surprisingly quiet.
Yup. Sorry, the A4 through Hammersmith and Chiswick would be a nightmare. I was thinking of the other bits, either side of that. It's not too bad through Knightsbridge, because it is so slow, and it's ok after Brentford through Hounslow, Harmondsworth, Colnbrook and Slough.

I'd still think plan A would be to get a train from Waterloo to Windsor or even Staines and cycle from there.

scouserinlondon

LostBoy said:
Normally do my daily 7 miles down the A23 but have developed an allergy to the trains and need to get to maidenhead after work (one way). Just wondering what route to take and if there's any bits I should try to avoid etc?

Had a look at tfl's route planner (Waterloo to Heathrow terminal 5) but what they suggest isn't always the 'best' cycle route. Welcome any recommendations or links, TIA.

Slightly OT, but 7 miles from Waterloo would put you in Streatham, which is exactly my commute. I found the A23 a bit too mental so now have a slightly longer but much nicer route up Garrads Road, Thorton Avenue, Kings Avenue and join the A3 at Clapham North.

Slightly nicer than doing Brixton hill on the way home too!

skrx

HaloJ said:
Don't you need something like a bommy to get on trains?

That depends on the time and day.

South West Trains Cycle Policy

I'm not sure if that means you can take a full-sized bike on e.g. the 0758 from Waterloo to Windsor (arrives 0851). The timetable says "Passengers may not join or leave services shown in red", and for that train Clapham Junction to Feltham is red. Perhaps it's OK if you get on at Waterloo or Vauxhall?

OP
OP
L

LostBoy

scouserinlondon said:
Slightly OT, but 7 miles from Waterloo would put you in Streatham, which is exactly my commute. I found the A23 a bit too mental so now have a slightly longer but much nicer route up Garrads Road, Thorton Avenue, Kings Avenue and join the A3 at Clapham North.

Slightly nicer than doing Brixton hill on the way home too!

Nearly, next stop down; Norbury. That's more or less my route home (- the Garrads Rd bit) but going to work I normally stick to the A23. Just wish they sort out Kings Avenue, especially northbound...

scouserinlondon

LostBoy said:
Nearly, next stop down; Norbury. That's more or less my route home (- the Garrads Rd bit) but going to work I normally stick to the A23. Just wish they sort out Kings Avenue, especially northbound...

Agree there's a hairy section from the lights on Thornton Avenue onto Kings avenue. TBH after various experiments trying to filter from left to right lanes to avoid the parked cars, I now just take primary from the lights and pedal like hell. The road surface up Kings Avenue is bloody awful, and it's a sprint from the start to the bus lane

trj977

Über Member
OK used to commute Teddington to Blackfriars so Waterloo not a million miles away.
I now go to Slough via Datchet, only now and then unfortunately but fitness is building.
So combining the 2 I came up with this. Not the most direct but to my mind the most pleasant. There are choices you could make that may shorten the route, depends where in Maidenhead etc.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3621568

Hope it helps

Clamson

The A4 from Slough to Maidenhead is alright. Always lots of traffic though, but if you don't mind overtaking (I love it) then it's fine. It's wide enough that people are for the most part nothing but courteous.

In Slough, there are roads that run parallel to the A4 as well (separated by pavement) so you could use those. And there are cycle lanes on the pavement that aren't too bad, if you want to use them. Except for a certain bit where there is a toucan crossing that you can't legally get to...

Top Bottom