Advice Needed on a Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
First off, congratulations on your new job! Excellent! As others have said, three miles is nowt, and thta sounds like a good bike to tackle it. You'll be a bit out of breath for the first week or two, then you'll start to surprise yourself at how it seems to be getting less like hard work, then you'll start to enjoy it.

Don't worry about clothes. All in good time. For the moment, wear anything. Use rubber bands to keep your trousers away from the chain. Wear gloves. As advised, keep clothes at the office. Your ideas on security sound sound.

Keep your tyres pumped up as hard as you can - it makes the ride easier and helps prevent punctures. And thanks your lucky stars you're starting now and not October. Here come the sun!

Oh, welcome to CC. Make yourself comfortable. Have a cuppa.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Hey, Chris, Congratulations on the new job!

I agree with everything that MacB said. 3 miles is such a short commute, that I wouldn't be overly concerned with kit. Get the bike outfitted with a rack, and you can easily bungy a soft lunchbucket to it. Other things that I seriously recommend are lights and mudguards. As someone else mentioned, you can use rubber bands, or, as I do, a Velcro strap to hold your right pantleg tightly to your leg to keep it out of the chain. Only you know your work facilities, so you'll be able to adjust your routine to what works best. In the hottest weather, you may decide to totally change clothes for the ride. In normal weather, you may decide to ride in your trousers and a T-shirt. I work outdoors, so wear my regular work clothes in the winter, but ride in shorts and T-shirt and carry work clothes in the summer. Everyone's situation is different. You really don't need special cycle kit for a short commute. Get used to the routine of riding the bike to work, and you won't regret it. Looking forward to the ride home will become the hilight of your day!

rh100

Well done on the new job.

My commute is just short of 2 mile - I cycle with my office clothes on, including the shoes. However I do wear a cycling jacket, hi vis vest and gloves. The cycling jacket mainly as it is good for keeping the wind out and the longer cut at the back helps against any road dirt getting on my trousers and shirt. So it is essential if riding like this to have half decent mud guards.

I tried taking clothes and getting changed - depends on your facilities at work but for me it was just a pain in the a**e.

I also prefer a pannier rack to a rucksack - a rucksack will make your back sweat and you don't want that when wearing a shirt. The panniers also shield you from the road dirt a bit more.

Really nasty weather may need a rethink though for the odd days.

A good tip I was given was to ease off for the last leg of the journey and take it easy - giving you chance to cool down - otherwise you get into the office and sit down and turn into a sweaty mess :biggrin:

There will be plenty of people in the commuting section who can advise for this kind of stuff.

Welcome and good luck with the job.
Plenty of good advice above about the bike, so won't repeat it. Your idea for locking it up sounds reasonable but don't forget decent locks and somewhere to secure it when at work (can you scout it out first?)
3 miles in 50 minutes on 2 buses. The joy of public transport. Actually you don't need a bike, a decent pair of shoes would be faster than that.
Weather is starting to improve so a great time to start cycle commuting. Enjoy!

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
Cheers for all the good comments so far. I am taking them all into account.

Was not sure if the CRS4 comes with mud guards and a rack but on alot of bike sites it shows these on and others it does not.

Got to call the wheels to work scheme again tommrow just to confirm i have to pay a whole months up front for it before i start as the issue i have is u have to work a month before the first pay.

From what i could see at work there was no places for bikes apart from a few lamp posts in the fenced off car parts. Going to go in on the first day on foot i think then do a review on the place.

Also a visit to the Job Centre yet again on Wed. Might see if they can fund some riding gear. They was going to help towards the bike but i could have only had a £150 for the bike so would rather use the other scheme and fund the bike myself.

Chris

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
Just found it that there is 2 types of CRS4

the normal CRS4 is £275 and the CRS4 City is £325 but on the city u get mud guards front and back and the rack system to install the side bag's. Not sure if its worth the extra to have the City version.

Chris

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
Well contacted Wheels to Work scheme today told them i would like the 22" CRS4 and she is going to get the bike shop to order in which will take a few days.

The bikeshop will setup the bike and deliver to the house

Chris

bauldbairn

Just checked out the Giant CRS4 2010 - a very nice bike it is too! :wacko:

One question chrisb - I only saw 21"(lge) and 23"(xlge) on the site that I was on(Trendz). :smile: There was no mention of 22"(doesn't mean there isn't one), I'd just double check with the shop - if it is a 22" that you want. ;)

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
Cheers for that. Just confirm with the bike shop that they have ordered me an X Large Frame which is 23"

Chris

postman

Legendary Member
Sorry i'm late with this .But all the best with your new job .And enjoy your commute .Take it easy,and after a little while you will be flying there and back .A really nice distance .Take care .

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
Cheers. I am looking forward to it. Contacted my new work today they said they have bike secuity as in the means of a pole etc concreated in the ground which is located around the back of the work place.

Still not got the bike. Fingers cross it should be tommrow or fri i get it

Chris

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
Well Thur and still no Bike LOL, fingers cross it turns up tommrow.

Found some of my old bike gear from 2002 in the roof today. Helmet does not fit me anymore. Does anyone know if used MET helmet would sell for anything as its to small for me being a size 52 - 57cm red/black. As i cant list on here i wanted your view on what sort of price these things sell for on ebay as i cant find the same one anyware.

4443957512_3eeb09bf37_o.jpg

4443957516_257c2be38a_o.jpg

Chris

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
LOL like a chest of suprizes in my roof, Just found my old CATEYE Computer but no mounting kit. It still powers on from 2002 LOL

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
Can anyone tell me if a Specialized AirForce2 Mini Pump will be any good for the new hybrid bike and to get it upto 100PSI as i have just found that in my roof packed away

Chris

OP
OP
C

chrisb1357

Über Member
Just an Update,

Phoned up the bike shop today to ask where the bike was as i start work on Monday. gave them until midday today before i phoned.

They said the bike is in and not built yet so i explained i need it for Mon to get into work on. I had to go down to get my helmet and they are fitting lights and a lock to it for me ready and offered to bring to my house tommrow. Fingers cross they pump upto 100PSI as i cannot afford a pump yet

Chris

Top Bottom