advice needed on big road trip ..wotr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blan77

Regular
Hi , I'm after some advice for the experience of you guys , last year myself and 5 friends , completed the c2c , Whitehaven to Tynemouth , in two days . We are looking at the way of the roses , this year . Can anyone whos done them both compare them , I'm hoping wotr isn't as hilly !!
Also , what bikes is best suited for this trip , road or hybrid . We all used our hybrids last year .would like to use road bikes tho year but not sure on the terrain
Thanks in advance Chris

Fubar

Guru
Hi , I'm after some advice for the experience of you guys , last year myself and 5 friends , completed the c2c , Whitehaven to Tynemouth , in two days . We are looking at the way of the roses , this year . Can anyone whos done them both compare them , I'm hoping wotr isn't as hilly !!
Also , what bikes is best suited for this trip , road or hybrid . We all used our hybrids last year .would like to use road bikes tho year but not sure on the terrain
Thanks in advance Chris

I would have thought this would give you all you need:

http://wayoftheroses.info/

It does say "There’s about half a mile east of Dunnington (south of the A166 near York) that’s unmade earth and stone track but usually firm going. Otherwise, the off-road sections are well made" which I think would discount a road bike.

F70100

Who, me ?
I did WOTR last July on a road bike (Cannonale Synapse alu). The section of unmade road isn't too long and easily doable on a road bike if you take it steadily. That said, it was bone dry when I did it.

Hills - big climb coming out of Settle, big climb coming out of Appletreewick up to the B6265. If you have a road bike with a triple, should be no big deal - I'm sure you'll enjoy them!

OP
OP
B

blan77

Regular
Thanks for the reply guys ,I'm not super fit but managed to do the c2c in two days in July , I only started cycling in April , I bought a hybrid and went for it lol ...the hills were very challenging .
I've opted for a road bike this year with the triple option to help on these big hills ...

Pjays666

Über Member
Don't think you will have an issue using either. I did it last year over 3 days. We had our first stop over in pateley bridge which provided 6500 ft of climbing over 65 miles. The section out of dunnington was dry when I did it so not an issue but I also used a hybrid. Only concern with road bike would be carrying panniers etc?

Top Bottom