Advice needed on commuter bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rykard

Veteran
Hi,

I am looking for advice regards the purchase of a new commute bike. I cycle into Leicester totally on the road. I am looking for a quick flat bar road bike. I need it to take a rack and mudguards. The rack will have around 10kgs on it and I weigh around 115kg. I have been advised that 700c should be OK as I am not going off road at all. Budget is around £500 + £100?

Can you all throw your suggestions my way please.

Cheers
Rich

ps I currently do it on an old, heavy slicked up MTB

Maz

Guru
Hello Rich
Another Leicester mester here...I have a Specialized Sirrus (Elite model) and I think it is a great commuting bike. Fits your criteria above. It's lightweight, easy to handle and is a joy to ride. I think you can get a new Elite for £500. Try it out at Webster's on London Rd in Leicester (just up the rd from the railway station).
Cheers
Maz

longers

Legendary Member
And another BIG Sirrus fan here. No need to get anything other than the bog standard in my opinion. Last years colours are grey (black this year) so may be cheaper. Spend the surplus on kit?

benjus

Well I've noticed before that there's a lot of support for the Sirrus on this forum and I'm sure they are great bikes. But it's worth at least a look at the Ridgeback Genesis Day range. I've got the entry level Day 00 model and I really like it. Slightly cheaper than the Sirrus entry level and good value for money in my opinion. I considered the Sirrus but couldn't find any shops with one in my size to test, and when I tried the Genesis I was pretty much sold on it.

OP
OP
R

Rykard

Veteran
hadn't considered the Genesis, will try and look around at the weekend.. the FCR series looks ok but haven't seen it mentioned here...

Zoiders

I dont like flat barred 700c bikes, thats just me though, I dont find they handle that well to be honest

Slicked up MTB for me, rigid steel is good, an older XC race bike works well if it has the braze ons

OP
OP
R

Rykard

Veteran
when you say don't handle well what do you mean? I currently ride a slicked up rigid MTB (26" wheels) I don't want to have a load of issues if I go to 700s

OP
OP
R

Rykard

Veteran
when you say don't handle well what do you mean? I currently ride a slicked up rigid MTB (26" wheels) I don't want to have a load of issues if I go to 700s

Rykard - I was in your position only a couple of months ago, riding a slicked up MTB but fancied something a little quicker.

I test rode the following bikes -

Marin Fairfax - didn't like the shifters, felt a bit clumsy.

Marin Sausalito - didn't feel right, can't explain... maybe cos it only had a double chain ring or maybe geometry wasn't right for me??

Genesis Day 02 - very fast but found the ride really harsh and wrists were aching after only about 20 minutes... riding around London's roads.

Giant FCR2 - very nice bike apart from uncomfortable saddle.

Specialized Sirrus Elite - the one I went for. Good balance between comfort and speed. Also have eyelets for mudguards and rack.

I'm around the 70 KG mark and it did feel a bit fragile at first... not sure whether it's because I was more used to a MTB but I've heard that the wheels aren't too strong. You may need to double check that bike can cope with your quoted weights.

No issues with handling apart from being a bit ‘twitchy’ at first, but I guess you’d expect that from a lighter more road orientated bike. I also found that I tend to change gears more often as the ratios are a lot closer than on a MTB. You soon get used to it all though.

Overall, very pleased with the transition, you realize pretty quickly that you're using a lot less effort than before... by the end of the week, my legs definitely don’t ache as much as before.

Good luck with your choice.

Rykard - I was in your position only a couple of months ago, riding a slicked up MTB but fancied something a little quicker.

I test rode the following bikes -

Marin Fairfax - didn't like the shifters, felt a bit clumsy.

Marin Sausalito - didn't feel right, can't explain... maybe cos it only had a double chain ring or maybe geometry wasn't right for me??

Genesis Day 02 - very fast but found the ride really harsh and wrists were aching after only about 20 minutes... riding around London's roads.

Giant FCR2 - very nice bike apart from uncomfortable saddle.

Specialized Sirrus Elite - the one I went for. Good balance between comfort and speed. Also have eyelets for mudguards and rack.

I'm around the 70 KG mark and it did feel a bit fragile at first... not sure whether it's because I was more used to a MTB but I've heard that the wheels aren't too strong. You may need to double check that bike can cope with your quoted weights.

No issues with handling apart from being a bit ‘twitchy’ at first, but I guess you’d expect that from a lighter more road orientated bike. I also found that I tend to change gears more often as the ratios are a lot closer than on a MTB. You soon get used to it all though.

Overall, very pleased with the transition, you realize pretty quickly that you're using a lot less effort than before... by the end of the week, my legs definitely don’t ache as much as before.

Good luck with your choice.

OP
OP
R

Rykard

Veteran
thanks for the reply 008, it is the wheels that 'worry' me. But I could get a stronger set made if need be...

Top Bottom