Advice needed please on N+1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leodis

Veteran
Evening All,
I am about to invest in a new bike, the main reason was I fell in love with the Canyon Ultimate and was waiting for the intro of discs but have found the Rose X-Lite CDX 8810 a far better deal for spec (with one exception) and price but the problem I am having is the own brand Rose wheelset, they are light but just seem standard off the rack Chinese carbon wheels which I can't find much info on, I don't have the budget for an upgrade on them :sad:

The bike is going to last me a fair few years and so why I am looking at discs and with Ultegra due to be replaced late 2017 early 2018 I am swayed towards the Sram set up on the Rose.

I have a Rose Pro DX cross which is a good commuter/winter bike.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:cheers:

Last edited:
Can't understand your post. Is it the wheels or frame you are worried about? Or both?

Why not choose a bike that doesn't cause you to have such questions?

I would not worry about the wheels, or if in doubt ask a local bike shop to check they're true after you receive the bike.

huwsparky

Über Member
Haha sorry for not making sense. Probably the wheelset is causing greatest concern.

Edited OP to make more sense
Phone them. They all seem to speak good English from my experience. No point in you highlighting your concerns to anyone other than someone who can help.

Slick

Guru
Haha sorry for not making sense. Probably the wheelset is causing greatest concern.

Edited OP to make more sense
I know exactly what you mean, every bike I look at seems to have some weak spot or other. If it's the bike for you or all the other components match your requirements, I would buy it fully expecting to build my own wheels the following year. I know lots will shoot my suggestion down, but sometimes that's what you have to do to get what you want. I would also use that knowledge to beat whoever was selling it over the head until they gave me a suitable discount. Doesn't always work, sometimes you have to walk away, but sometimes you get exactly what you want for a reasonable cost with just a bit of effort. Good luck.

OP
OP
Leodis

Leodis

Veteran
Thanks @Slick

Yeah its a mine field and its driving me crazy. I emailed Rose with a couple of questions in relation to this bike and known road buzz on their previous CDX range which this is a part of, also more info on the wheelset requested, the upgrade option for Zipp 303 is £1200!! Kinda makes their own brand look even cheaper tbh.

The Canyon is decent but heavy 7.6kg and with Di2 about to be replaced not that future proof and the eTap version of the Ultimate will be costly and out of budget...

I have though seen this bad boy Boardman slr endurance 9.9 which though not disc seems to tick the boxes and is still pretty unique on the roads but as you said something will have to give on my budget.

Slick

Guru
Your looking at some serious kit, so your right to be cautious. £1200 for the upgraded wheelset seems excessive, there must be better options available from a local independent? Have you been out to see any in the Flesh?

OP
OP
Leodis

Leodis

Veteran
I will pop down to Chevin cycles in Otley next year as I think they stock Boardman bikes and may sort me a deal.

huwsparky

Über Member
Your looking at some serious kit, so your right to be cautious. £1200 for the upgraded wheelset seems excessive, there must be better options available from a local independent? Have you been out to see any in the Flesh?
Why do you say that? The upgraded wheelset in question is £2250.

I upgraded the wheels on mine when I bought it. The difference in price to upgrade was smaller than the actual price difference between the wheelsets.

Think I paid £240 more with the best price I could find on both was £310 difference.

I don't think Rose are out to cash in on upgrades, you just pay the extra amount or thereabouts for the upgrade and that's that.

Just a shame now that the pound is crap, I got lucky I guess.

OP
OP
Leodis

Leodis

Veteran
The Look Keo pedals have a std price of £50 and the "upgrade" fee is £55 lol, the x-lite team has Zipp NSW 404 cheaper than the Firecrest 303. Some things seem ok but other things seem all over the place.

huwsparky

Über Member
It was opposite when the pound was good. Upgrading was cheap. It's more the pound than them trying to rip anyone off though I would have thought.

You won't regret if you go for a Rose though. Hardly ever see another around here. Canyon have become common as muck, so glad I didn't go that route now.

Slick

Guru
It was opposite when the pound was good. Upgrading was cheap. It's more the pound than them trying to rip anyone off though I would have thought.

You won't regret if you go for a Rose though. Hardly ever see another around here. Canyon have become common as muck, so glad I didn't go that route now.
How long ago did you get the cheapest Upgrade? Has the pound changed that Much?

huwsparky

Über Member
How long ago did you get the cheapest Upgrade? Has the pound changed that Much?
March I ordered my bike. I got an X lite team 3100 with mavic ksyrium pro SL exalith as an upgrade from the standard non exalith rims. Also ordered new ultegra pedals. The total was just under 3k (can't remember exactly).

Just specced the same bike up now on their configurator and it came to £3712.74. £750 at least more than this time 9 months ago for the exact same bike.

Slick

Guru
March I ordered my bike. I got an X lite team 3100 with mavic ksyrium pro SL exalith as an upgrade from the standard non exalith rims. Also ordered new ultegra pedals. The total was just under 3k (can't remember exactly).

Just specced the same bike up now on their configurator and it came to £3712.74. £750 at least more than this time 9 months ago for the exact same bike.
Can't see the strength or lack thereof of the pound playing much of a part in that. Supply and demand probably more so. Still, well done for getting the deal, everyone likes a deal.

Top Bottom