Advice needed re quick link

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnsco

Old Fettler
I'm considering buying quicklinks to use with my 1/2 inch x 3/32 inch derailleur chain on my Carlton.
I've never used them before and have just re-rivited chains as required.
I seem to remember from my younger days (like the 1960s) that someone told me that you couldn't use quicklinks with DR chains.
Looking around, I see various QLs on offer .... for 10-speed, 12-speed, etc chains.
I'm using a double chainwheel set with a 5 sprocket freewheel (non-indexed)
I guess this must be 10-speed.
Is mine a 10-speed chain ?
I'm asking for a recommendation which QL to buy for my chain.
Thanks.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I guess this must be 10-speed.
Is mine a 10-speed chain ?
Nope! It goes on the number of sprockets, so yours is a '5-speed'.

The fact that you can get prime-number-speed quicklinks such as 11-speed is a bit of a giveaway! :okay:

Sharky

Guru
If you have the skill to re rivet a 3/32nd chain, I would carry on as you are. I've been doing that all my life with up to 9 speed chains. Did try with a 10 speed chain, but the join did not last so use ql's now fot 10 speeds.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
BTW - you are supposed to be able to take them apart by hand but there is an art in this and I could never master it especially on a new quicklink with tight fitting. Most people I know use the special pliers which both join and separate. You only need a cheap pair as little force is needed and they are not going to wear out.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The pliers are a good addition for not much money. Saves messy fingers.

OP you need an 8 speed quick link. 9,10 11, and 12 all need corresponding quick links. I have 8, 9 and 10 speed quick links in my 'in pocket' tool kit.

OP
OP
Johnsco

Johnsco

Old Fettler
Thanks guys for all those helpful replies.
1. I now understand it.
2. I now know what to buy .... and I do intend to get a pair of the special pliers.
Thanks again.
Have a good day.

Edit
NOW ORDERED FROM SJS
Thanks
John

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have 8, 9 and 10 speed quick links in my 'in pocket' tool kit.
For info, I have 9sp quicklinks (x2) in my seatbag toolkit. As a temporary measure, one will join a 10sp chain successfully (was leaving pub at closing time when his chain suddenly parted, where he'd joined it with a Shimano pin). My recommendation to the chain owner was to replace with a 10sp asap. His 10sp chain is 5.9mm outer width, to avoid the chain touching the adjacent 10sp sprocket. The 9sp KMC qucicklink is 6.6mm wide (9sp chains are that width). (Afternote: He rode back OK and gave me back the link and a new one at the pub a fortnight later.)
https://bike.bikegremlin.com/3555/bicycle-drive-chain-dimension-standards/

OP
OP
Johnsco

Johnsco

Old Fettler
That "bikegremlin" link is very useful.
It explains a lot.
The world of bicycle engineering is indeed interesting.
Thanks.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
The pliers are a good addition for not much money. Saves messy fingers.

OP you need an 8 speed quick link. 9,10 11, and 12 all need corresponding quick links. I have 8, 9 and 10 speed quick links in my 'in pocket' tool kit.

And beware - there are two sizes (widths) of 8-speed Quicklink.

Top Bottom