Advice needed upgrading Dura ace 9 speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oscarnz

Hi, I have an older road bike running dura ace 7700 9 speed groupset. I want to swap the chainrings to a 50-34 so I can have some lower gears. Currently it has 53-39 chainrings. If I replaced the crank and bottom bracket with a Sora FC-R3000 9 speed crankset would that work with the rest of the old dura ace setup?
here the link https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/sora-r3000/FC-R3000.html
Also is there any higher level than Sora I could use as that's the only 9 speed I've found, everything else is 10 speed and above. Thanks

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I suspect you might have a ST bottom bracket. The R,3000 you linked will come with a Hollowtech BB which replaces your ST BB and will just screw in to your threaded BB. The only adjustment you'll have to make is to lower your derailleur to suit. You'll also need a Hollowtech BB tool.
Check the chain line but all should work fine.
I would think higher group sets might not come in 9 speed.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I guess if you want nine-speed you're going to have to balance groupset type against age and decide whether an older and higher end crankset is a better choice compared to a newer / lower end alternative. You might be able to pick up something older and more prestigious NOS or lightly used if you keep an eye on the usual sales sites..

Another possibility would be to use a newer 10/11sp crankset and maybe chain - Shimano usually claim this won't work, but the internet seems to think this is anything but great and "just about works" - the internal dims of the chain being the same but the outside (and hence the chainring spacing) being different. If you were really keen to maintain the 9sp chainring spacing you could potentially use shims between the two rings..

Hi, I have an older road bike running dura ace 7700 9 speed groupset. I want to swap the chainrings to a 50-34 so I can have some lower gears. Currently it has 53-39 chainrings. If I replaced the crank and bottom bracket with a Sora FC-R3000 9 speed crankset would that work with the rest of the old dura ace setup?
here the link https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/sora-r3000/FC-R3000.html
Also is there any higher level than Sora I could use as that's the only 9 speed I've found, everything else is 10 speed and above. Thanks

10 speed stuff will be fine. Chains are identical on the outside and its only the plates that are thinner to run on a cassette. I've interchanged between 10 spd cranks and 11sp cranks a few times. With my last bike that done more than 40,000 miles did more than half that with an 11speed crank and 10spd shifters/ derailleurs.

Top Bottom