Advice Needed :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam1992

Regular
Ok I'm looking into getting a new bike for my commute to work( around 10 miles each way. I'm currently commuting on a Foffa single speed which I'm really enjoying.

With the cycle to work scheme opening again in June I'm torn between two bikes that decathlon stock. 1st one being there triban 540 which is £650 and can be found here:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540-road-bike-105-id_8350480.html

The second option is there 720af at £1050 and can be found here:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-720-af-road-bike-ultegra-id_8331274.html

I know I would definitely prefer the 720 Af as it is obviolsy a better bike but my worry is that with me wanting to use it to commute to work and then some rides at the weekends is it a bit OTT? Also if I were to get the cheaper 540 I could also factor in some mud guards for the winter commute.

So yeah I'm torn between getting the 720 and using it as a summer bike and keeping the single speed for winter and then getting the 540 and using it as an all year round bike and eventually buying a summer bike in the future.

All advice welcome, as said there's no rush as the scheme doesn't reopen until June anyway.

Thanks in advance.

vickster

Legendary Member
Which one will better take full mudguards and a rack? If both, get the better bike that you can afford.

Bear in mind C2W goes up to £1000 (unless your company has a financial credit licence and will let you have morr) so you may not be able to get the more expensive one anyhow if Decathlon don't permit topping up

Why is it OTT to use a £1000 bike to commute, yes, it'll cost you more in maintenance perhaps as more expensive parts wear quicker often and cost more to replace (chain, cassette, poss chainrings) but other than that, it won't melt in the rain...if you can use it effectively with mudguards etc?

OP
OP
Sam1992

Sam1992

Regular
Yeah i need to look into that i was hoping i could just put the extra £50 towards it.
The bike for £1000 can only fit the SKS race-blades rather than the full mud guard, presume these would suffice for commutes in the rain?

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah i need to look into that i was hoping i could just put the extra £50 towards it.
The bike for £1000 can only fit the SKS race-blades rather than the full mud guard, presume these would suffice for commutes in the rain?
Should be ok, could well rub though, especially if thinking of 25mm or fatter tyres

Why are you limiting your search to Decathlon, IMO there are far better looking bikes out there ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
To be honest i'm open to any bikes if you have any suggestions, just though ultegra and Mavic Cosmic Elite wheels where outstanding for the price.

I buy on looks and the riding and ownership experience, not purely on spec. Go try lots of bikes out, you have plenty of time and there are dozens of good bikes out there for under a grand and lots of deals

For example, £650 with Ultegra for last year's Defy if you happen to fit a small (under 5'8 say)

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/3185...currency=GBP&gclid=CKqN0s6ztdMCFSEG0wodQzkM9g

Or £750 in other sizes https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p6992/GIANT-DEFY-0-2016

The Decathlon bike also only available in Small currently as well

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sam1992

Sam1992

Regular
Thanks, really appreciate your help. unfortunately id probably be needing a XL i'm about 6 ft 2 :smile:

The Defy form Paul's cycles does look a good deal though . Is it just a case of scouting around for deals?

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks, really appreciate your help. unfortunately id probably be needing a XL i'm about 6 ft 2 :smile:

The Defy form Paul's cycles does look a good deal though . Is it just a case of scouting around for deals?
Yes :smile: Google can be your friend

I think 6'2 probably puts you on a large in the Defy, which Paul's have

They have this too ordered on request, carbon for under a grand

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p6694/CUBE-ATTAIN-GTC-RACE-2016

I dk if Paul's take C2W on reduced stock though - actually they do, but with a 10% admin fee, still makes the defy an excellent price at £850

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/info/sale_bikes_on_cyclescheme.php

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sam1992

Sam1992

Regular
Wow that's a cracking deal but with the 10% its probably slightly over what id want to spend, guess ill have to have a look around at the time the C2W starts

vickster

Legendary Member
Wow that's a cracking deal but with the 10% its probably slightly over what id want to spend, guess ill have to have a look around at the time the C2W starts
The carbon? But you're looking at spending £1050 on the bike from Decathlon. The carbon would only be £50 more (and I'm sure you can pay cash for the admin fee if you ask)

Bear in mind retailers are parts of a number of different C2W scheme, you'll need to check whether they take the vouchers your employer will supply from the scheme used

If you do buy on C2W, make sure the bike is fully insured as you'll be responsible for paying it off even if you no longer have it (ditto if you go the CC/finance route)

Last edited:

damj

I had the same dilemma 3 years ago and now. In 2004 eventually buying a cheaper bike. Specialized crosstrail £550. An absolute bargain, average 1000 miles a year, commuting, weekend fun, and touring in France last year. The bike rarely let me down. Replacement parts very cheap easy maintenance.
This year I've maxed out, on a relative unknown, orro terra. I'm still waiting for delivery, probably about 5 weeks. As vickster suggests she doesn't buy on spec and looks alone. I find It's very very difficult to switch once I've set my heart on something.
Sorry not much help. But as drago once told me try and enjoy the process.

vickster

Legendary Member
As vickster suggests she doesn't buy on spec and looks alone. I find It's very very difficult to switch once I've set my heart on something.
Sorry not much help. But as drago once told me try and enjoy the process.
This is why no other titanium bike other than the now discontinued Condor Gran Fondo will do me...unfortunately, unlike a Giant Defy or similar, they are rarer than hen's teeth!! :sad:

:wub::notworthy: Picture doesn't do it justice

condor-650x421.jpg

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You won't get any real benefit from a tit other than from being a shiny shiny show off. Best keep looking around the time as you said.

Heisenberg71

When you're dead, you're dead

The new Raceblade XL go up to 32mm tyres.
I use in the wet and they do a great job. Fitted and removed in seconds.

Top Bottom