Advice needed......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

And

Fun sponge
This is not a wind up; I need advice on social etiquette.

We're off to a James Bond theme party next weekend (not my idea). Having talked to others who will be there, a lot of the men are going with a white shirt, dickie bow and shoulder holster. I want to do something different, I want to go as Veejay (from Octopussy). White shirt, cravat and tennis racket.

Now here's the thing - I am extremely pale skinned, and it would mean using face paint to 'tone down' so to speak. The hostess of the party has friends attending from ethnic minorities attending (although do not know which ones).

Question: is it offensive to paint one's face a darker hue?

(think I know the answer already)

p.s. please don’t shout, I really don’t know.

Not at all offensive, nor politically incorrect! It is, after all, a theme party.
Now if you went as Mr. A. Hitler . . . (although he didn't have a part in a JB film - but you get the gist)!

Bigtallfatbloke

...why not choose a character with white skin....I suspect it could well cause offense to some people if you 'blacken up'. Wasn't there some story on the news recently about such a thing ...some politician or something who should have known better??

longers

Legendary Member
Two pairs of white tights, white leggings and a long sleeved white t-shirt, a swimming cap and a bit of time with the blue marker and you'd make a lovely octopus I'm sure.

SamNichols

I wouldn't advise blackening up, there are some horrendous connotations relating to it - therefore, I wouldn't do it, even in jest. Go as jaws - menswear hire - black lounge jacket, striped trouser, black tie and grey waistcoat. Sling in a bowler hat, and bob's your uncle. It's always a classic.

SamNichols said:
I wouldn't advise blackening up, there are some horrendous connotations relating to it - therefore, I wouldn't do it, even in jest. Go as jaws - menswear hire - black lounge jacket, striped trouser, black tie and grey waistcoat. Sling in a bowler hat, and bob's your uncle. It's always a classic.

That was Oddjob!
Jaws was the big bloke with metal teeth! :eek:

sheddy

Legendary Member
I went to a JB party - some of the guest donned their wetsuits
(I think there were 4 of them - but no whale !)

SamNichols

Dayvo][quote name= said:
That was Oddjob!
Jaws was the big bloke with metal teeth! :eek:

I of course meant Odd Job. I am delirious from the 15 miler that I just did.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Get a stuffed white Persian cat and practise stroking it while sitting in a chair and saying "Ah Mister Bond".

But keep a tin of boot polish and a pair of white gloves in one of your pockets so that after you've had a few and no longer care about PC matters, you can nip into the bog, blacken up, put on the white gloves, burst back into the party room and give a rousing chorus of "Mammy". Completely irrelevant to the theme but guaranteed to break the party's ice and it will also give you a story of which your mates will never tire of hearing over a pint down the pub.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Andy in Sig said:
Get a stuffed white Persian cat and practise stroking it while sitting in a chair and saying "Ah Mister Bond".

But keep a tin of boot polish and a pair of white gloves in one of your pockets so that after you've had a few and no longer care about PC matters, you can nip into the bog, blacken up, put on the white gloves, burst back into the party room and give a rousing chorus of "Mammy". Completely irrelevant to the theme but guaranteed to break the party's ice and it will also give you a story of which your mates will never tire of hearing over a pint down the pub.
:eek: :blush: :laugh:

Fnaar said:
Andy in Sig said:

:eek: :blush: :laugh:

+1 :tongue:

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Get a bikini and go as pussy galore

Should be able to get a bikini for very little and its the easiest costume there is. no need for make up

OP
OP
And

And

Fun sponge
Andy in Sig said:
....But keep a tin of boot polish and a pair of white gloves in one of your pockets so that after you've had a few and no longer care about PC matters, you can nip into the bog, blacken up, put on the white gloves, burst back into the party room and give a rousing chorus of "Mammy". Completely irrelevant to the theme but guaranteed to break the party's ice and it will also give you a story of which your mates will never tire of hearing over a pint down the pub.

Yes Andy IS, nice one, I think the expression is PMSL!

However, I do know of one gent who will be there is of Afro-carribean origin, and a judge too, so maybe not!

I quite like longers idea of the white tights - I notice that M&S are doing 5 pairs for £3 at the moment, but these are champagne coloured (but I'm sure they would do)

I had a word with the hostess, and she was relatively relaxed about the make up, but I was told 'no social sterotyping' - that seems fair.

I couild do Jaws, cause I'm big and daft too, but metal teeth?

What about that Sherriff - what was his name, you know the daft one from southern USA?

Top Bottom