Advice neesed! Full Carbon bike sought with similar spec to Specialized Ruby Elite 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
hi guys

am absolutely frustrated.

My Specialized Ruby Elite 2009 was stolen Saturday (this was a replacement for the original Ruby Elite 2008 stolen in April- check forum for related posts). Anyway, the frame is 51cm.

The Ruby Elite Komen 2010 model is virtually very similar in components (I even think some are not as good as the Ruby Elite 2009) and has had a new paint job with a splash of pink (ffs just cause I'm female doesn't mean I want a pink bike) - they've jacked the price up another £429.99 without justification. Well I can't afford this right now on top of my insurance payout and getting pedals, polar sensors etc- some of the upgrades will be paid for under the insurance. I am really angry; second bike stolen in less than 6 months.

I was wondering - basically if I replace this bike and if being a big factor (got it on C2W and the tax free savings have been swallowed up by double theft) what full carbon bike designed for women (I'm 5 foot 3.5- tried the Allez Elite 52cm back in January and felt too stretched out) will meet the Specialized Ruby Elite in spec and what are the costs. This bike fitted me really well but I can't justify the expense after having last time spent a fair few hundred on top of the insurance when bike#1 was stolen.

I was thinking of getting a sale bike cause of the raft of special offers at the moment with similar specifications to the Ruby Elite but maybe a 2009 model and then possibly if I have any money left on the payout get a cheaper single speed/fixed to commute on (and to use at the track-hehe-probably a 49cm Specialized Langster- not tried it out yet for fit) as I can't replace a full carbon bike for the third time in a row and know nearly with 100% conviction the professional thieves will go after the full carbon bike again. Will save that bike for racing and long, long weekend rides.

Well that is if the insurers let me use my payout that way---awkward b*****s

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Thanks for that MacB - quickly looked whilst at work and saw som really interesting stuff but for some reason the special edition bikes aren't showing now that I'm home - odd.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
No bike advice but where do you leave a bike that good they get nicked? If you have no choice but to leave it in a dodgy place then wouldn't you be advised to get a secondhand crap bike and keep the Ruby for high days and holidays?
I would never leave my best bike out of my sight in town.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
It's a tricky one rich p as my commute to work is quite some distance so a hack bike would make the commute hard work hence why I've been commuting on the Ruby- work in Hackney - secure unit which doesn't allow bikes in; the rack has been moved so it's safer - Saturday was not at work.

I won't be using it for the commute or any trips where it needs to be locked again as no doubt bike three will be taken again- high value bike unfotunately attracts alot of professional theives in London. I don't know if I can after having to replace the bike the second time round have the funds for another commuting bike. I'll try and work it out - there will be some sort of solution.

Commiserations on having yet another bike stolen. I know it must be hard. I've been through it myself.

ttcycle, how long is your commute?

A hack bike doesn't necessarily mean a crap bike. I appreciate it's harder to get hack bikes in lady friendly geometry, but so long as you a comfortable on it you should be able to cycle any distance - even if it takes you slightly longer.

Have you thought about a second hand dolce? It's the ladies version of the Allez you tried and should probably fit you similarly to the equivalent sized Ruby.

I've got a nice bike, it lives in the bedroom, I only take it out when the sun is shining when I'm cycling for cycling's sake which isn't very often. I cycle to work either on my fixie, for slicked up mountain bike. I wouldn't dream of cycling to work on it unless I was allowed to bring it into the office.

Maybe if the insurers will give you a reasonable cash settlement, buy a second hand dolce and put the rest in a savings account - try and save for a replacement Ruby (or similar) ready for next summer?

In anycase, good luck in sorting it all out.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Thanks for your kind words again eob- I did try an Dolce before I got the Ruby and it is a nice bike - however, I think the insurers are particular about how the cash is used - I don't think I can buy anything secondhand as they do't tend to stump up the cash direct to me- I will check with them though-will be changing insurers next year as they're not particularly helpful- Dolce's do still get stolen a lot in London and they end up on Gumtree and Ebay all the time:angry: Commute is 16 miles round trip- so longish but not the most mileage compared to others but enough- did it on my old heavy hybrid but with all the stopping and starting it gets really hard work.

Don't worry I am confident I will find a way to get back in the saddle.

I don't know what to suggest then. :sad:

It's sometimes worth haggling with the insurers. A friend of mine had a folding bike I sold him stolen. I dug out the original receipt for him, I had bought it for a significant discount.

The insurer had a 'relationship' with Evans cycles. The equivalent bike was a couple hundred quid more expensive. Also, my friend had a saddle of a specific width. The only saddle in the shop of the same width was nigh on a £100.

The a little persistence, he got sorted.

Make sure you have the paperwork for your bike and details of the new equivalent ready for the insurance company. We all know bikes are now more expensive then they were twelve months ago, so if you can find a story from bikebiz etc. to support it.

It might not get you anywhere, but it's worth a shot.

Kuota M

When my lady claimed for her stolen bike, the insurer, CycleGuard informed her when we were having issues with our LBS that they call up the LBS and make a deal direct with them for example, if one had £700 of insurance, the insurer will call the LBS and offer them £640 cash and pay them directly. The LBS will then provide you with a £700 bike. The insurer makes a little extra.

Anyone with an insurance company stating a similar claim should insist that the money go directly to them and not a designated LBS.

Top Bottom