Advice on 35 miles MTB ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andywinds

Hi, this will be the third time that I have entered this charity ride, last year I pulled out because I was so out of shape. I've been putting the miles in so I am happier that I can make the distance, but what I am not so sure is food during the ride.
We usually take between 4-5 hours to complete the course over 35 which includes about 4000ft of climbing. This is a fun ride but still very taxing.
In the past I have taken all sorts with me to eat. I would like some advice on what the best things are to eat. Should I just be taking on board carbs etc or should I also take in some protein. Maybe fruit? They do have water and banana stops around the course.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Malt loaf, fig roles, fruit cake, all good stuff. Energy drink powder might be good to add to the hydration pack.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Malt loaf, fig roles, fruit cake, all good stuff. Energy drink powder might be good to add to the hydration pack.
Thanks. I do have a load of energy gels that I can take. I also like Malt loaf, fig roles and fruit cake. In the past we have taken sandwiches and sausage rolls but these seem too stodgy. What about bananas, are they any good during the ride?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've ridden a few sportives and used to race. Keep the gels for emergency, and use a isotonic energy drink (powder).

What I'd do is carry malt loaf cut in chunks and in foil, a few bananas, spare 'isotonic powder' and a bottle with it pre mixed. At stops, whack in the water and top up with powder. Thing is, if you are pushing it, you won't feel like eating much, so something that you can tolerate. You're more likely to stop as you'll have the food in your backpack, so eating is a bit easier than whilst riding.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

I've ridden a few sportives and used to race. Keep the gels for emergency, and use a isotonic energy drink (powder).

What I'd do is carry malt loaf cut in chunks and in foil, a few bananas, spare 'isotonic powder' and a bottle with it pre mixed. At stops, whack in the water and top up with powder. Thing is, if you are pushing it, you won't feel like eating much, so something that you can tolerate. You're more likely to stop as you'll have the food in your backpack, so eating is a bit easier than whilst riding.
Ok thanks. Why would you say only use gels for an emergency? I carry a large camel thing full of water, so I could put some powder in there, sometimes its nice just to have pure water. But I will do whatever I need to for the event.

rugby bloke

Veteran
I carry two drinking bottles, one with water, the other with an isotonic drink. I find too much of the isotonic drink gets my head going so I reserve it for later in the ride and drink water for most of it. As for food - jelly babies for little boosts along the ride, home made flap jack for carbs.

Top Bottom