Advice on a few things actually

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for all the replies, will look through ebay when I'm not revising sometime.

Bit of a stupid question probably, but what the proper way to clean bikes? At the minute I'm just using wd40 to get rid of rust from the steel frame and what not. But It's getting kind of greasy and I want to wash it down. But Don't know how :/

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
On the topic of cycling undies - Aldi had 'em last Thursday at £3.99. I got some, and tried them today. Not bad at all. I'm going to get some more tomorrow, if they've not run out.
They also had shorts at about £7 IIRC, but I've not tried them.

Crankarm

Guru
Arch said:
If you feel lycra shorts are a step too far, you can get padded undies, and wear whatever shorts or trousers you like over the top - just avoid anything too thick with stiff seams, like jeans, if you're riding any distance (that said, I wear jeans to ride the 3 miles to work). When it's too cold for shorts, on a longer ride, I opt for Ronhill Bikesters - there are plenty of similar things done by other brands.

These are excellent. Good for running as well :smile:.

You can do a lot worse than Decathlon stuff. Their cycling shorts for £15 are excellent. The couple of pairs I bought 2-3 years ago are still going strong and I used them pretty much everyday. Great fit (for me). They also lots of other good quality cheap cycle and general sports clothing and equipment. I love going to Decathlon.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Jaguar said:
Ouch! That centre seam!

Doesn't bother me in the slightest!

For anything more, I'd go for the shorts or bikesters, as much for lightness as anything - jeans get a bit hot.

4 days a week my door to door commute is only 3 miles total (as opposed to each way) and I do that in my work trousers, a pair of Craghoppers. I'm upping the mileage and did 5 miles each way today, fine. If I get up to 10 miles each way, I might start changing at work..

shippers

Washing bikes- hot water, sponge. When you're feeling brave, toothbrush and de-greaser for the chain and oily bits.
Jury seems to be out on washing up liquid in the water- there's some salt in it, but chances are it's not going to damage anything.
I use Halfords stuff to cleam it with. (Wilkinsons sell muc-off a bit cheaper than halfords, but they don't do the citrus degreaser stuff.)

Top Bottom