Advice on a first cycle/camping trip?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrMonster

Hey everybody.
I'm new to this forum as you can probably see by my post count lol. My names Danny and i'm 17.

I've been looking everywhere to find a rough guide on preparing for a longish (for a beginner like myself) ride, approximately 65 miles which is expected to be covered in two days with camping overnight, but I cannot find information anywhere. I then come across this forum and i've been reading a few topics and posts etc and you all seem to be a nice and informative people so I thought why not register and let my cycling career take off with some help eh? :smile:

So after that long into, me and a friend are just wondering what essential gear you would take for a 2 day ride including camping overnight? We're both 17 males, who will be riding mountain bikes for Byways and Bridleways etc.

Thanks in advance and I hope to hear from you all.

Apologies if it's the wrong section, seemed the most appropriate.

Welcome to the Forum Monster

Have a look at Friedels Website and pop into the touring section on here for a wealth of knowledge and experience

Simon

Arch

Married to Night Train
There's a sticky of tips in the Touring section, worth a browse.

There are two ways to pack. One, make a list of everything you need, and stick to it. Two, get out everything you think you'll need, then go through it again and again discarding stuff....:biggrin:

Basically, there's stuff for you, and stuff for the bike. How much depends on how self sufficient you are. For example, you could take lots of tools, but will you have the faintest idea how to use them? At what level of mechanical breakdown would you just bail and give up? Do you want to be 'smart' enough to go to a pub in the evening, or will you just sit by your stove in your cycling clothes?

I would carry:

tent, sleeping bag, bedroll, stove, cooking kit. (or, plan to eat at a pub, assuming you know there will be one handy, and forget the cooking stuff - but it's nice to have the wherewithall for a cuppa). If cooking, keep it simple, instant noodles in a cupasoup sauce can be quite satisfying for just one night.

Clothes - wear cycling kit. If you want to look decent in the evening, or just fancy having a change of clothes, take stuff that will roll or squish up small - thin walking type trousers, not jeans, for example. If you want spare shoes (ie, if you cycle in shoes that are hard to walk in) think of sandals or canvas shoes that will squash fairly flat. If it's cold, you can always sleep in your 'evening wear', for the one night rather than take jimjams. Spare pants, and socks (wet feet are miserable, having a dry pair of socks to put on can be a spiritual lifesaver). Carry a waterproof coat, just in case, even if it seems fine.

Tools: puncture repair kit, spare inner tube, multitool, and perhaps an extra small adjustable spanner. Zipties for emergency bodge repairs.

Then think about things like lights - you might not intend to ride after dark, but better to be prepared. A front light doubles as a torch anyway.

For a one night trip, which is a great way to start BTW, it won't matter too much if you forget something (unless it's the tent or sleeping bag!), or conversely, if you end up carrying extra stuff you don't need. Next time, you'll remember and adjust accordingly.

It will be worth having a trial run at packing. Will you share a tent? One of you can carry it, and the other carry more of something else to compensate. Get everything out on the bed, and have a go at packing it up, to check it'll all go in your pannier (or rucksack, but panniers are better).

And enjoy it! Sounds fun, where are you going?

RedBike

The more stuff you carry the harder it becomes to ride so you need to think very carefull on what you pack.

Make sure you take plenty of food and water and warm dry clothes. Provided you've got these and a tent you'll be fine

OP
OP
M

MrMonster

JakesDad - Thanks for that, I thought touring was a little different to relatively small distance rides so I didn't think to look in there but I shall do now, thanks!

Arch - Thank you that is incredibly informative and covers most points i've been thinking about. All the equipment you mentioned I will be taking I think, maybe a few more bits + bobs. And as for where we're going, it'll be from Luton to Epping Forest.
We did have planned to go to Southend from Luton in 4 days, but being the worried parents I have, they thought it was ridiculous so I must prove to them I can do it before they'll let me unfortunately!! :biggrin:

RedBike - thank you for that, would you reccommend I carry on my bike or via a rucksack?

Snorri - Thanks! I do hope it gets addictive, the thought of doing it is pretty impressing I just cant wait to get out there and do it!

Crankarm

Guru
:biggrin: MrMonster.

I would try and keep it simple. You are only going for two days which is one night or two? So I wouldn't bother about stoves, etc at this point as you can take food or buy en route or eat out at some point in the day - a cafe. Take biccies, cake and jam sandwiches to give you energy. Maybe take a plate, cup, bowl and cutlery if you really feel the need which can be compactly carried.

But most importantly I would check the weather forecast right up to the last minute before you depart as if it is going to be chucking it down you might decide to abort rather than getting soaked and miserable.

Take a light tent, sleeping bag, some tucker, some drink and have some fun. You are young. Don't convince your self that you must have such and such piece of kit. Just do it. But do take a few spares tubes, full puncture kit and the kit to change a tube if you get a puncture. Practice changing a tube BEFORE you go if you are unsure. Nothing worse than being stuck in the middle of nowhere struggling to change a tube because it is your first attempt :biggrin:.

Also decent maps OS Landranger 1:50,000 or GPS (Garmin). A small compass to add some adventure.

And a torch with spare batteries or just use your bike lights (front obviously) :ohmy:. Oh and a decent bike D-lock for when you are in the cafe tucking in.

But above all have fun. I'm envious.

Enjoy yourselves.

OP
OP
M

MrMonster

Thank you CrankArm. Some very useful info there. So far we've decided to share a tent, it's only one night and we're in seperate bags so it's not going to be too bad. We were looking at taking 3-4 packs of Fig Rolls because they're easily comsumed and are around 800 kcals a pack, majority being carbohydrates, will that be ok?
Map wise, I think we have the OS map you mentioned, i'll have to route it out with highlighter on that.
Weather wise, hopefully this current weather holds up. I don't mind it raining overnight, i'll be dry in my tent hopefully.

Thank you once more, I do have a question however. Would you recommend using rucksacks and riding? It's only short distance so I didn't want to go into too much effort buying too much equipment in case it's not as enjoyable as it seems (hopefully that's not the case!). It's only a relatively small distance, so the rucksacks shouldn't do too much damage I hope.

Crankarm

Guru
I would urge you fit a rack if only to mount your tent on. Try and carry as little weight on your back as possible. But you guys are young and strong why am I worrying you'll do your back in? Generally cycling with a rucksack with any but a very light weight in especially over a long distance is to be avoided. I would always advise panniers. But in this instance I suspect you are trying to keep costs down and to keep things simple. I don't know if you are a near a Decathlon. They do good quality cheap cycling stuff. I'm sure they would do a cheap rack of good quality that you could fit and attach your tent to. Maybe they would do cheap panniers as well so you can keep the cost low. If you get the cycle touring bug panniers are a necessity really. But it all depends how you intend to travel. Lightly or with the kitchen sink so to speak. Lighter is better believe me! Halfords also do their own brand racks which aren't that expensive. Cannot vouch for their durability though, but I am sure they would last long enough for you to get reasonable use out of them. If not I am sure they would always replace them providing they hadn't been abused like carrying two maidens on the back :tongue:.

Oh and fig Rolls - :tongue: excellent choice of biscuit. Take a few packs I would.

Don't forget a roll of loo paper.

If you have mounts for bottle cages take two large bottles as fluids are very important so as you don't become dehydrated.

OP
OP
M

MrMonster

Generally I ride around 7 miles daily with a 15-20lb rucksack to and from college everyday, i'm presuming between us we could probably keep our weight down to about 20lb each carrying bare minimal, or am I exaggerating a little?

I wasn't too sure if a rucksack was a good idea though because I heard the straps were to cause quite bad rubbing and stress on the shoulders. I don't think I have a Decathlon anywhere near, never heard of it so I don't think I do. I'll look into the Halfords ones though, they have been my guide until I found this forum!

Does this checklist seem to be a fair foundation of equipment at bare minimal?

First Aid Kit
Puncture Repair Kit
MultiTool
Map
Bike Lights
3 x Water Bottles full
1 x 2 Man Tent
2 x Sleeping Bag
2 x Inner Tube
1 x Hand Pump
2 x Yoga Mats (for sleeping on)
Riding clothes + one pair of clean clothes for sleeping (ONLY because it's 2 days long)
Biscuits + little snacks
Money
As for a stove, we're going to call the Epping council and see if we can have permission for a campfire, just to save our selves some weight. If not, we can always sort out a stove if necessary. Just to clarify in case someone gets the wrong idea about this, we are 17 yes, but it will be nothing more than a CONTROLLED camp fire to cook and be put out sufficiently, we're not arsonists lol.

That's all I can think of from the top of my head. I think i've covered everything?

Hi MrMonster,

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like youre going to really get into the idea of touring. Its just great to get out and go camping. It seems to give us a feeling of freedom. Just being out on the road, and going back to basics.

Sounds like what you are doing is totally right and you will have a fab time and it'll all go well. Starting off small is probably the way to go.

Ive yet to do even a one night camping trip on the bike and im already planning to cycle from Gibraltar up to Yorkshire over 28 days. hmm yes im nuts :tongue: But ive always been like that. As a kid i literally just ran to the deep end and jumped in... and er yeah i had to be saved :tongue: hehe.

But good luck on your trip man. Everyone has already given you good advice. All i will say is, just take your time on the actual ride. Youre doing 30 miles in the day, so that gives you plenty of time for stops and to ride steady, take in the scenary sights and sounds. With touring its not about how fast you go or how far you can go. Theres no competition, its just about enjoying the ride.

Good luck!

OP
OP
M

MrMonster

OnlineAmiga - Thanks! Good to know i'm on the starting line. I did want to go a bit further but we cut the distance in half just in case we got 60 miles in and needed a week to recover! Lol.
Best of luck on your Gibralter trip, sounds good! Hopefully i'll be doing similar things later on when I get a little bit stronger.

UnclePhil - How do you know this? Haha. I might have to reconsider my food!

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Mr Monster - have fun! A rucksack isn't ideal but try it for this first short trip to make sure you like cycle touring before shelling out for more gear. You could then graduate to a rack with the rucksack strapped to it if you can't afford to get panniers straight away. One of my friends has been commuting to work for years with this arrangement. It's better not to have the weight on your back as the extra weight is transferred to the saddle meaning you're more likely to get a sore bum!

Top Bottom