Advice on a first cycle/camping trip?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
MrMonster said:
You just make it with boiled water, right? How do you thicken or dethicken(?) it?

Add more or less water...

I cooking it at home, I put the noodles on to boil in a pan, and make the cupasoup up in a bowl while they cook with boiling water from the kettle. But if you have limited pans, I'd suggest cooking the noodles in plenty of water, then using some of that water to make the soup up until it's think/thin enough (in another bowl or mug preferably - but I suppose you could even just stir the soup powder straight into the cooking water around the noodles but you'd have to experiment to get the right thickness, and it might be more lumpy.)

Probably an idea to try it at home first, to see if you like it. The noodles are the 'super noodles' sort, that cook in boiling water in about 3 minutes (but supermarket own-brand are cheaper)

OP
OP
M

MrMonster

I'm going to go try it now actually, I only have the Beef cup-a-soup, which isn't my favourite but it's alright. Supernoodles wise, I generally buy the 8p (or 9) Sainsburys ones like you mentioned, same product but better price! I'll let you know how it goes. I'll do it in together, then seperate.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I hope it works for you! Gourmet it isn't, but quick, and relatively satisfying, it is. For added vitamins, one could always chuck in some tinned veg like peas or sweetcorn, stuff that doesn't need cooking, just heating through.

OP
OP
M

MrMonster

Well I just finished fiddling around.. I cooked the noodles for around 2 minutes and then I put in the CupaSoup into the cooking bowl for the further minute.. Drained the water and had a little taste.. Tastes pretty good! The only problem was, it left the noodles feeling really sludgy and soaked through, didn't taste half bad though, despite the not so good texture!!

I done it separately, made the cup of soup, made the noodles then put together in a bowl at the end. Went pretty well! Makes a lovely sauce for the noodles to go in, I even left a bit of water in there when I added them together for a nice hot drink when I'd finished eating. It's pretty darn good I must say! Thanks Arch!!
I'll probably even eat this fairly regularly at home. Probably test it out with some other flavors too. The beef left me feeling kind of bloated, but none the less it's given me nutrition..

The veg sounds quite good, could probably do with adding the sweetcorn in there too, I like sweetcorn! lol :wacko:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Glad it worked! Like I say, it's not high class, but it's good basic flavoursome grub. I often fall back on it after a long ride when I get in too tired to rustle up a 'proper' meal. I can sit and slurp a bowl of soupy noodles without having to think too much.

I get the impression that camping/touring food falls into two camps, if you'll pardon the puns. Some people like to create a proper meal, and on a long tour, that's probably worthwhile, because the same old thing every day gets dull. Others like to just shovel in the necessary calories and stuff - probably fine for a day or two.

I've never toured and camped myself (one, or the other, not both, yet), so this is all based on reading other people's accounts.

OP
OP
M

MrMonster

You've never camped and cycled? I thought it was very common, which is where the idea for myself came from!
Yeah I think eating this meal to often would get very tedious even with a variety of flavours, but like you said, quick, easy, warming and a nice end to the day.
If I was to do it over say a period of a week, then once more just as you said, i'd probably be making something more substantial, but depending on the weather I might just want something hot and nutritious and hop off in my bivvy to bed. Would seem much more reasonable to do that than stay out in the cold and rain cooking a big slab of beef! :smile:

Arch

Married to Night Train
MrMonster said:
You've never camped and cycled? I thought it was very common, which is where the idea for myself came from!

Lots of things are very common, clamydia for example, and navel piercings, but I haven't had them either....:smile:

I've toured, but from youth hostel to youth hostel (or hotel to hotel when I'm being posh). And I've camped, at cycling events and get-togethers, but that's been a case of 'arrive, stay a couple of days in one place doing day rides, leave' and often with the easy option of catering laid on.

I have plans, vaguely, to go off and 'do' Europe some day.

Has anyone pointed you towards Crazy Guy on a Bike yet? Reckoned to be pretty inspiring. And look at the touring tips sticky in the touring section on here.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
Arch - don't you remember our East Yorks posse camping weekend?:smile: I know it was only one night but you cycled, put up your tent and camped, and cycled back again.

EDIT: And I can definitely confirm that Crazyguyonabike is inspiring!

Arch

Married to Night Train
HelenD123 said:
Arch - don't you remember our East Yorks posse camping weekend?:sad: I know it was only one night but you cycled, put up your tent and camped, and cycled back again.

Well yes.... But I didn't cook! (I left that to the pub chef, and then Piemaster, and his delicious bacon the next morning...)

And I had the first and third nights in real beds, remember.... So I wouldn't call it an expedition...:smile:

Crankarm

Guru
HelenD123 said:
Arch - don't you remember our East Yorks posse camping weekend?:angry: I know it was only one night but you cycled, put up your tent and camped, and cycled back again.

And I can 2nd that :wacko:. I'm really into a few of the South American journals at the moment plus have just started reading Psmiffy's write up of his European tour which is a very good read, lots of info and wow pics.

When are you setting off on your big trip Helen and where do you head to first?

And Mr Monster when do you anticipate departing?

Realised I have potentially created two threads here. Sorry.

OP
OP
M

MrMonster

Well put and very true!! I luckily have neither of them too!! I did contemplate youth hostels, but I think camping will be much more satisfying :smile:

Crank, I am doing a 30 mile cycle on Sunday, from my home to Woburn Sands and back. That will give me a chance to test out the new slicks I bought, then the following Thursday we are leaving. Hoping to be back by Sunday latest. I have a Driving test on the 12th of April, so let's home I don't encounter any problems like injuries eh?!!

Helen, that sounds great! Good luck!

Crankarm

Guru
MrMonster said:
Well put and very true!! I luckily have neither of them too!! I did contemplate youth hostels, but I think camping will be much more satisfying :sad:

Crank, I am doing a 30 mile cycle on Sunday, from my home to Woburn Sands and back. That will give me a chance to test out the new slicks I bought, then the following Thursday we are leaving. Hoping to be back by Sunday latest. I have a Driving test on the 12th of April, so let's home I don't encounter any problems like injuries eh?!!

Helen, that sounds great! Good luck!

Let's hope that once you've passed your test which I'm sure you will first time that your bike doesn't gather dust in preference to a car ............. :sad:.

Sunday was looking at being a half decent day, not so sure now. It might be a bit ...... damp :sad:. At least it will be warmer on tuesday 14/15C.

30 miles a nice gentle ride to run in your bikes's new tyres.

Top Bottom