Advice On A Good Commuter Bike (£500-£600)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

I have a Specialized Hardrock Comp with slicks and riser bars, it really flies on road. Solid bike too, has lasted well and good backup. Boring answer, but it really works.

iacula

I was in the LBS recently, they had some Trek 7.5 FX type bikes, which looked lovely.......

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
sigod said:
Is there a similar scheme like this in the USA I wonder?

Hahahhahhhahahhahahahahhaahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahhahah (rolls on floor laughing, tears streaming; nearly choked laughing on that one).

No. But please do ask about tax breaks on unnecessarily large and uneconomical vehicles by all means.

That sounds like a really excellent scheme, and one that should be encouraged -should promote better health for employees, be more green, save money, etc. Only recently with petrol hitting the ungodly sum of about 2.50 pounds (my god, the horror!) per UK gallon has there been some pushing for a more economical vehicles and a renewed interest in cyclo commuting. Also, it's not unusual for many people over here to live long distances from their place of work -I knew a guy where I worked who commuted about 120 miles each way to work, 5 days a week. I just can't see too many people in the UK doing that given the price of petrol. I also perceive here there is an attitude that you just drive everywhere, and that there's something wrong with you if you don't drive a car (though again, with the price of petrol, that's changing).

But I'm digressing into political and soapbox here......

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Although the cyclescheme would be better if they promoted British built bikes (I assume there are still some?). My only criticism of cycloscheme as described is that effectively it could be helping promote non-British goods as most bikes are made in China or Taiwan. It would be nice if there were incentives to keep the money in the country.

andyfromotley

Nigeyy said:
Although the cyclescheme would be better if they promoted British built bikes (I assume there are still some?). My only criticism of cycloscheme as described is that effectively it could be helping promote non-British goods as most bikes are made in China or Taiwan. It would be nice if there were incentives to keep the money in the country.

Hahahhahhhahahhahahahahhaahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahhahah (rolls on floor laughing, tears streaming; nearly choked laughing on that one).

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Mercian? Roberts? Bob Jackson? Brompton?

I always wanted an Orbit tourer, but I know they closed down. Used to cycle by the Raleigh factory quite often too, but I know that closed many years ago.

Granted I know most are out of business now or have frames made in Taiwan or China (and certainly every cycle manufacturer equips bikes with Shimano, Campy or SRAM components now) but it would be nice if a British made frame was made more attractive.

I was glad to get a Dawes Sardar steel frame that was at least made in Europe (Czech Republic?).

Nigeyy said:
Mercian? Roberts? Bob Jackson? Brompton?

I always wanted an Orbit tourer, but I know they closed down. Used to cycle by the Raleigh factory quite often too, but I know that closed many years ago.

Granted I know most are out of business now or have frames made in Taiwan or China (and certainly every cycle manufacturer equips bikes with Shimano, Campy or SRAM components now) but it would be nice if a British made frame was made more attractive.

I was glad to get a Dawes Sardar steel frame that was at least made in Europe (Czech Republic?).

Try this guy, all hand made.

Paul Villiers

iacula

Isn't Reynolds tubing still British, can get this on the Thorn Audax 853, £1700 though! Thorn also have the Audax Mk3 only £800 steel frame from Taiwan

Top Bottom