Advice on a tyre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had the bike serviced yesterday and some new wheels and tyres put on, only to get out early this morning and find that the rear tyre had a disagreement with a nail. Yes, the road is already shoot enough with potholes that belong on a 3rd world mountain track (Clevedon to Yatton B3133), that now I have to worry about people leaving nails all over the place.

It's a real shame because I'm just about done with that road and hence one major route onto the Mendips is now out of bounds.

Anyway, have replaced the inner tube and the tyre seems to be holding but...and I don't know if such a product exists, is there anything I could use to seal the small gash on the exterior of the tyre or is it just going to wear much sooner? If so, how much sooner or best scenario at all will it wear sooner? Worst scenario, should I just replace the damned tyre?

What do you think?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Where is the gash? How deep? Can you see the carcass? Road or MTB?

You can't seal it from the outside, especially against the pressure from the tube. If the carcass splits suddenly you could lose control of the bike. Some might suggest glueing a reinforcing patch into the inside but that's a dodge for African bus owners not comparatively wealthy cyclists!

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Road bike, when fully pumped up again can't really see it but it would have gone all the way through (the inner needed replacing). The nail was about 3mm across...thanks for the reply anyway.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Taken it to LBS for a wee look and there is no bulge where the hole was and is rather difficult to see.

Think I'll ride it and just keep a close eye.

Tynan

Veteran
if you wouldn;t know it was there when inflated, then ride it, a 3mm nail isn't going to make a 3mm hole. a tyre is awful strong

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Okay some photos, fairly crap ones at that...

View attachment 6264

View attachment 6265

View attachment 6266

View attachment 6267

Actually just to the side of the tyre.

One other question some have suggested using shoo goo. Is this a good idea or does it ruin the inner tube?

longers

Legendary Member
That doesn't look too bad to me, keep a regular eye on it though.

I've not used shoo goo, didn't know you could still get it. Did try one with superglue and it wore holes in the innertubes over time but reckon yours doesn't need much other than checking every so often.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Okay Ivan cheers for that, have googled and found one called Black Witch and being near the sea think I could get it locally.

I presume I just fill from the outside opposed having to take the tyre off? Also, do I need to deflate the tyre beforehand?

Thanks.

longers

Legendary Member
Ivan will advise better as he's probably used it but I'd take the tyre off to do it to minimise the risk of sticking it to the innertube.

Top Bottom