Advice on converting vintage French frame to SS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lugless

I have an vintage French frame Meral with BB intact and rear Maillard wheel with cyclo 72 freewheel (5 speed cogs).

I would like to convert this to a single speed and have a few questions.
Can I keep the Cyclo 72 freewheel and adjust with spacers or is there an easier/better alternative ? What information do I need to be careful of before buying a crankset ? Are all square taper crank fits the same ?

Before rushing out an buying some bits, a little knowledge might be a good idea.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Your bottom brackets come in a variety of widths to suit the cranks on them. I was just looking this week and noticed the options 103mm 107mm 110.5mm 113mm... I suspect these don't change the chainline, just position the cranks correctly. As for the back end... Not sure.

As an aside... I'd love to see the frame.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have an vintage French frame Meral with BB intact and rear Maillard wheel with cyclo 72 freewheel (5 speed cogs).

I would like to convert this to a single speed and have a few questions.
Can I keep the Cyclo 72 freewheel and adjust with spacers or is there an easier/better alternative ? What information do I need to be careful of before buying a crankset ? Are all square taper crank fits the same ?

Before rushing out an buying some bits, a little knowledge might be a good idea.
It's a freewheel (not a 'freehub') so just unscrew it and screw on a single speed freewheel, you may need to adjust the chainline at the crank.

OP
OP
L

lugless

Thanks for the responses. The first step will be to order a removal tool - just looked at prices ... ouch !!

I will upload some pictures soon. Other than the makers decals it has no tubing identifiers.

midlife

Guru
Thanks for the responses. The first step will be to order a removal tool - just looked at prices ... ouch !!

I will upload some pictures soon. Other than the makers decals it has no tubing identifiers.

If you don't want to keep the freewheel there are ways of removing it without a tool....have you got access to a vice?

raleighnut

Legendary Member

If you work out what size single sprocket freewheel you need and buy it from a shop chances are they'll swap em over for you, my LBS would.

OP
OP
L

lugless

Attachments

• IMG_4009.JPG
    IMG_4009.JPG
    421.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4007.JPG
    IMG_4007.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4008.JPG
    IMG_4008.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_4011.JPG
    IMG_4011.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Would a suntour two pronged freewheel tool fit the freewheel?

Also, why not get a new wheel with flip flop hub and keep the existing wheelset as spare in case you want to go geared again later?

OP
OP
L

lugless

I think the replacement wheel with Flip flop hub is a good idea. I decided to convert an old Raleigh to singlespeed as a warm-up project. I can then try the wheel from that on the French frame and see what compatibility problems I hit as I try components at hand.

Top Bottom