Advice on cycling tools/ equipment required for basic workshop maintenance / repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brummie53

Good morning all , does anyone have advice on what tools/equipment the average cyclist would need for bike maintenance and minor repairs. I’m enthusiastic but have no engineering background!

Sharky

Guru
A good set of Allen keys will go a long way to basic maintenence.

Then if you want to replace the chain and cassette, could add a chain whip, chain splitter and a cassette lock ring tool.

Other jobs might only need to be done occasionally, such as BB replacement, pedal replacement etc. So it's a dilemma whether to buy an expensive tool kit up front or just wait until you need to do a specific job and buy the tools when you need them.

House hold tools like pliers, hammers, wire cutters always handy to have.

Good luck

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Im still using my aldi tool kit with a few extra pieces like chain tool as theirs was made of cheese, also cable cutters and i need to get some 17 mm cone spanners as my new commuter has them and its not in that set

I have various tools from work so pretty much ok but the tools I use more than anything are crank brothers multi tool and Park Tool 5nm fixed torque wrench. It does seat post, carbon bars etc, very good and handy

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Here you go. Laid them out especially fir you:

B5B68573-9C75-49A1-9BB9-3C5089668CD2.jpeg
1C1BBE43-94DF-463E-A481-DC1F4637A529.jpeg

Can never have enough but got to be tidy ^_^

When it comes to tools, I prefer high quality used ones to cheap new ones. Low grade screwdrivers, spanners and allen keys suffer from being roughly made from cheap soft metal, esp since many fasteners are themselves made of cheese.
Back when we had car boot sales you could get all the general purpose tools for pennies. Bike specific tools are very hard to find used. A larger chain tool is handy for workshop but a roadside one will do for occasional use.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Argos do basic tool kits (Guild) that are cheap and have all your basics like Allen keys, small spanners, pliers etc. 15 to 30 pounds depending on what set you get, and most of the tools are serviceable with just a few misses. The screwdriver is pants.
I'd upgrade to a better set of cable cutters - Screwfix do some good ones, I got an Irwin Vise Grip there and that gets used a bit. Chain whip and chain cutter are useful sooner rather than later.

Anything more complicated and I'd wait until I needed it. You might go many years without needing that BB tool, and in fact I've done exactly that and it (and assorted other tools) sit unused in my garage.
They were gifts, in case you wonder.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Spare chain
Spare chain rings and bolts
Spare cassette
Spare brake and gear cables, plus ferrules
Spare brake pads
Spare tubes and tyres
Checking and tightening bolts.

The most common parts for things worked on, so what tools do you need for them?

Chain splitter tool and these days quick links.
Oil for chain
Grease for bolt / pedal threads etc.
Wire cutters or pliers
Set of Allen keys
Cassette removal tool
Puncture repair kit and pump.

What else do you want to be able to work on? That will determine what tools you’ll want.

Last edited:
You can get on-bike cassette removal tools that dont require a chain whip.
I use the Next Best Thing NBT. So called because the best tool of this type, the Pamir Hypercracker has been out of production for so many years, younger riders are unaware it exists. It is the unicorn of bike tools and no one is even making fake copies.

Top Bottom