Advice on drinks / food to take on rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daveb99

Since starting cycling again I've realized that I need to think about what to put in my drinks bottle - and what I can scoff along the way!

I currently fill my drinks bottle with Orange squash - but it's sugar free so probably not the greatest idea.

Can anyone recommend a good, cheap energy drink ? I guess something in a cordial form would be good, ideally.

As for food - what's the best thing to take?

My rides are quite short currently but I can feel myself getting fitter (and faster!) and am riding further each time I go out, and I want to push a bit harder - hence my thinking that the right type of drink/food is actually quite important.

Given the choice it would be a pint of Stella followed by some sticky toffee pudding (can you see why I need advice...??!!!)

Parrot of Doom

How long are you riding for? Unless it's more than 40-50 miles I'd suggest that water or similar is fine. You'll get most of your energy from food. I tend to take things like a banana, sandwich. You don't need much, unless of course you're riding for half the day.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Food wise any of these ... bananas . flapjacks . energy bars . nuts . slice of cake . or anything you enjoy eating really, apart from a large three course meal on a stop or you'll struggle to get home again.

Drink wise ... water . OG . Electrolyte energy drinks . Lucozade sports drink (still type) and the same, pretty much anything you enjoy drinking.

I use my own mix, which is ... Boost energy drink / add OG or Black current or lucozade sports (to weaken the fizz) and a pinch of salt in one bottle ... in the other I take one bottle of water (cooled in the fridge the night before) .. on a long ride (above 50 /70 miles) I'll take the camelbak too with the above mix in it.

Drink often on a long ride, even when you don't feel like you need a drink, your body will

Depending on the ride/ intensity, I'd take water or diluted juice, if its a higher intensity ride I'll add sugar and salt to sugar free diluted drink and make my own as per the recipe on the bike radar site. Ive occasionally used Torq powder, High 5, Zero or Nuun Tabs but they cost more ;)
Food wise on a long solo ride I like to take bananas and cereal bars. With the higher intensity club ride there's usually a cafe stop :tongue:On high intensity rides I've used energy bars and/or gels (zipvit, high5, etc) but again that costs ;)

Rob500

Up to now the most I've done is around 30-33 miles. I've found tap water to be just fine. When I'm able to up the mileage I'll have to bring one of those energy type drinks. My first few times out I took diluted orange but for some reason I just found that it made me more thirsty.

As for food, I probably bring too much for the short distances I go. Today I took a small bar of chocolate, a peanut butter & jam sandwich and a handfull of wine gums. On other runs I've had a banana instead of the chocolate.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Up to now the most I've done is around 30-33 miles. I've found tap water to be just fine. When I'm able to up the mileage I'll have to bring one of those energy type drinks. My first few times out I took diluted orange but for some reason I just found that it made me more thirsty.

As for food, I probably bring too much for the short distances I go. Today I took a small bar of chocolate, a peanut butter & jam sandwich and a handfull of wine gums. On other runs I've had a banana instead of the chocolate.

Too much food is better than to little. You're at the point where going further will require those extra calories. Running out of fuel 'bonking' is unpleasant and will spoil your ride: Eat before you're Hungry, Drink before you're thirsty - little and often is the rule.

alci4

most i have done is 50 but i dont eat (never feel hungry)

i do take lucozade light (asda do 4 for £2.00 now and again so i stock up then bargain) seems to work a treat for me

byegad

Legendary Member
I've used H2O in my bottles for donkey's years. I'm not a really long distance rider, my longest was just over 60miles so maybe beyond that I'd need something else.

jayonabike