Advice on extending battery life on phone...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mazz

At the moment, my only means of navigation when cycling is Komoot app. I went on a 40 mile ride. Started off with battery 100%. By halfway, battery was down to 17%, so I switched it off and let others do the navigating (I think they had Garmin equipment). I had the screen on low brightness to save on battery consumption, but I was still surprised how quickly the battery drained. Maybe a Garmin or similar is the answer (or a phone upgrade)! Does anyone use their phone for navigation? Also, I downloaded the gpx file for offline use, if that makes any difference. Thanks

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
At the moment, my only means of navigation when cycling is Komoot app. I went on a 40 mile ride. Started off with battery 100%. By halfway, battery was down to 17%, so I switched it off and let others do the navigating (I think they had Garmin equipment). I had the screen on low brightness to save on battery consumption, but I was still surprised how quickly the battery drained. Maybe a Garmin or similar is the answer (or a phone upgrade)! Does anyone use their phone for navigation? Also, I downloaded the gpx file for offline use, if that makes any difference. Thanks
If you put your phone in Airplane mode that will reduce battery consumption. Airplane mode doesn't affect GPS so the mapping should still work

If you have a top tube bag you could get a battery bank to charge up the phone ? Cheaper than a bike computer and always handy to have.

albion

Guru
Just google '10,000mah battery'. For a tenner it will triple the phone run time. Komoot will be inefficient but screen power usage is the main problem.

Setting the screen to 'adaptive brightness' can help too.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Screen backlight might be the issue.

If it's only for navigation and not for speed and other info, there's likely an option that defaults to screen off, and only illuminates as you approach junctions.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

Screen backlight might be the issue.

If it's only for navigation and not for speed and other info, there's likely an option that defaults to screen off, and only illuminates as you approach junctions.

Good shout. My screen was displayed all the time. I'll have a look at the settings and see if there's an option to "power down the screen until junctions approach ".

albion

Guru
There are a few rogues around though less than the early days.
10,000 will in fact be about 6,000+mah. But all of them declare mah for the battery cell/s, not mah capacity at a converted 5 volts.

Screen off is why I use google maps. And in the olden days I used to tweak the motion sensor to wake my device up for 10 seconds at the wave of a hand

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Voice prompt? I'm clearly too old to understand what this means ☹️. I'll ask my kids 👍
A robotic voice comes from the phone speaker, saying "In 100 metres, turn left" - that kind of thing.

A cyclist friend of mine uses 'bra nav'! I asked how she navigates without a GPS and she told me that she uses Google Maps to give her directions from her phone kept deep within her cleavage. It gets her some funny looks on shared use paths... :laugh:

Top Bottom