Advice on first ‘Retro build’….DECISION MADE !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
BOOM ! This past Monday came: and with it a stroke of genius (?) along with a heart-felt and yet emotion driven idea; about WHAT I really wanted to do for my first retro build. The passion is real 😍

I’m sure there will be as many or more shocked and laughing to themselves - as there will be smiling along with me. Either way - I’m not doing this be fashionable or any other ulterior motive. This is for the joy of it and for me 😎

I’ve started at the front and bought headset, stem, bars, levers, cables and everything required for that ‘area’ so far. My kids have also got me a reasonably substantial part for Father’s Day ❤️ So I’ve made a little dent in the build already.

Pics to follow when all the initial purchases are in-hand. And a big thanks to all who chipped in and confused me stupid 🤣🤣

Bare with……. 👍

What ya got?? !

Good morning,

If I understand things correctly the point of the project is fun so there are two things that I have seen recently that might be of interest to you.

The first https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225586919696
Be sure to read the description carefully, as there are some Ahhhs but cut off lever bosses and rear mech hangers can be replaced with bolt on parts and you could end up with a bargain frame,
1685181070226.png

It is quite large but it is hard to know if it will fit a particular person especially if it is not the main bike. :-) I was very interested until I saw the size

The second: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256083155218
Although this is a complete bike you did mention that you weren't averse to buying such and chucking much of it away and as this is 501sl tubes, forks and stays, it is quite rare. There are "millions" of 501 main frame tubes only, lots of 501 tubes, forks and stays but 501sl.....

I suspect that Reynolds realised that 501sl was so close to 531c/ST that it devalued the premium brand.

1685127000724.png

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
Top Bottom