Advice on first ‘Retro build’….DECISION MADE !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
In this forum is my Chesini that I have just given a makeover, I was using it on the turbo for a while, the original paintwork was done by Frank Hoste former TDF green jersey winner but was looking a bit tired, so £50 at the local wheel refinished and a new finish was born, its a 1992 frame so rear spacing is 130mm, and brazing to suit brifters, I had to buy an Italian bb, the forks weigh heavy with a steel steerer so am considering putting on some carbon forks, I am not a purist, it's mostly Shimano on an Italian frame, probably Campag when new.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Be aware that building one up will cost more than you budgeted for ^_^

I’ve got 3 x decent, working bikes in the garage; and am in no rush. Just a project to enjoy doing - and of course to end up with something useable at the end of it. I’ve no doubt costs will run away with me. And I’ll end up with a bike of 1/3rd the value of its sum parts….that’s life. Not too many true hobbies make you money in my World 😎

OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Down here it's strange, Ghanians have no concept of hobbies.
I do a bit of model making and HO trains as well the bikes. I'm often asked what I do with them when I've finished them. Do I sell them for a profit?

Wow - right !

Yes I should imagine the concept of squandering funds for fun: with no chance of ever seeing it back is a strange one for many on this Planet. It’s easy to forget in my small cocoon…

Another thing to be thankful for 🙏

Gunk

Guru
Have been considering a ‘frame-up’ build for some time. Likely a fairly relaxed geometry, steel framed type road bike for general use. Perhaps retro paint and looks for the most part: with more modern wheels / gearing where possible. And as many really hardy finished / stainless components / fixings as possible for year round use in a Seaside town….

I’m very mechanically minded, have been messing with and modifying motorbikes, cars and bikes for quite some decades - and that doesn’t phase me. LBS can do anything I can’t 😎 ***I’ve NOT built a bike from parts from a bare-bones start though.

I’m not sure EXACTLY what I do want; but my real question is:

Is there anything I should absolutely avoid ?
I can buy a frame from ‘eBay’ as easily as the next man. But if I’m going to struggle to find bottom brackets that will work, derailleur hangers that will fit, hubs to mate with an obscure rear stay width etc etc I’m best to know now.

Is there any particular era I’m best to avoid, a Country of manufacture or indeed a manufacturer?

Any and all advice appreciated 🙏

I’ve built quite a few from a bare frame. Very rewarding but completely uneconomical - don’t think I’ve every sold a bare build at a profit.

here are a few

IMG_0816.jpeg

IMG_0817.jpeg

IMG_0819.jpeg

IMG_0820.jpeg

IMG_0821.jpeg

IMG_0822.jpeg

Last edited:

Fastpedaller

Have been considering a ‘frame-up’ build for some time. Likely a fairly relaxed geometry, steel framed type road bike for general use. Perhaps retro paint and looks for the most part: with more modern wheels / gearing where possible. And as many really hardy finished / stainless components / fixings as possible for year round use in a Seaside town….

I’m very mechanically minded, have been messing with and modifying motorbikes, cars and bikes for quite some decades - and that doesn’t phase me. LBS can do anything I can’t 😎 ***I’ve NOT built a bike from parts from a bare-bones start though.

I’m not sure EXACTLY what I do want; but my real question is:

Is there anything I should absolutely avoid ?
I can buy a frame from ‘eBay’ as easily as the next man. But if I’m going to struggle to find bottom brackets that will work, derailleur hangers that will fit, hubs to mate with an obscure rear stay width etc etc I’m best to know now.

Is there any particular era I’m best to avoid, a Country of manufacture or indeed a manufacturer?

Any and all advice appreciated 🙏

You haven't suggested a price range..... with the criteria of more modern wheels/gearing, maybe you need my bike? Well, one like it anyway, as mine's not for sale.
It's a Spa touring frame with spa triple crankset and 7 speed shimano freehub cassette 36H wheels. Quite old-school by the standards of some, but it does the job and looks 'traditional'. If you don't like V brakes or cantilevers there's always the Spa Audax frame, but I'm unsure if this is still available with a steel fork.

Fastpedaller

As 'payment for a job' I was today given a Mercian framed bike - not suitable for the OP as it won't take mudguards and is only 12 speed. It's a strange beast, as it has what looks like upturned and shortened drop bars on it (early tri bars?) Apart from that it's fairly standard road fare of early 80's with shimano LF hubs, 6 speed MA2 rims; with Campag super record Rr mech, and (best of all?) a Colnago pantographed chainset! The frame needs shotblasting and repainting as the chrome is shot (especially on the forks). Anyone have an idea of value of this bike? I'll give it more of an inspection in the next couple of days/ I'm tempted to get it shotblasted and painted myself, but I've too many projects and it has to be said too many bikes! It's a strange thing, but with this addition I now have 6 bikes, which is the most I've ever had ........ and to think in 2014 I only had 3 and never intended getting any more

Fastpedaller

Further to my last note, here's some photos. Value, anyone?

Attachments

• 137_2772.JPG
    137_2772.JPG
    416.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 137_2776.JPG
    137_2776.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 7
  • 137_2778.JPG
    137_2778.JPG
    434.6 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
sevenfourate

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
BOOM ! This past Monday came: and with it a stroke of genius (?) along with a heart-felt and yet emotion driven idea; about WHAT I really wanted to do for my first retro build. The passion is real 😍

I’m sure there will be as many or more shocked and laughing to themselves - as there will be smiling along with me. Either way - I’m not doing this be fashionable or any other ulterior motive. This is for the joy of it and for me 😎

I’ve started at the front and bought headset, stem, bars, levers, cables and everything required for that ‘area’ so far. My kids have also got me a reasonably substantial part for Father’s Day ❤️ So I’ve made a little dent in the build already.

Pics to follow when all the initial purchases are in-hand. And a big thanks to all who chipped in and confused me stupid 🤣🤣

Bare with……. 👍

Last edited:
Top Bottom