Advice on installing brake cables into Sora 105 shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I am building a light tower with TRP HY/RD cable operated disc brakes

I used the cables that came with the shifters and there seems to be too much travel in the lever. Several sites say to use compressionless housing so I have ordered the TRP branded product in the hope that helps.

Looking at the Shimano outer I had used initially it is not seated into the recess of the STI lever properly, which my oaf occurs be allowing play to occur.

Question, should i use on of the ferrules on the outer brake cable where it inserts into the STI lever?

It is a Shimano Sora FDR 3030 9 speed triple that helps!

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes.

si_c

Guru
To expand on @Drago's precise answer, Yes, but you also need to make sure that the cables are flat at the ends, so make sure you file them down flat before fitting the ferrules.

Also be aware that having lots of travel is normal with the Hy/Rd brakes - I run mine without compressionless cables (I have lots of regular brake cable and can't be arsed waiting for new ones) - so getting compressionless brake cables may not fix the problem.

If you've set it up correctly you'll find that you get full bite well before the lever hits the bars, and no amount of adjusting the cables will change that - some people, myself included, prefer their brakes to be a bit grabby - i.e. they bit immediately, however you will never get that feel with the Hy/Rds. I'm OK with that generally as they are excellent brakes.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
To expand on @Drago's precise answer, Yes, but you also need to make sure that the cables are flat at the ends, so make sure you file them down flat before fitting the ferrules.

Also be aware that having lots of travel is normal with the Hy/Rd brakes - I run mine without compressionless cables (I have lots of regular brake cable and can't be arsed waiting for new ones) - so getting compressionless brake cables may not fix the problem.

If you've set it up correctly you'll find that you get full bite well before the lever hits the bars, and no amount of adjusting the cables will change that - some people, myself included, prefer their brakes to be a bit grabby - i.e. they bit immediately, however you will never get that feel with the Hy/Rds. I'm OK with that generally as they are excellent brakes.
Thanks! The right one i ok (ish), the left one goes back the bars and doesn't really stop the bike. All that is based on rolling down the road with no drive train in place.... Going to have a good play tomorrow. I agree about flattening the ends.....

si_c

Guru
Thanks! The right one i ok (ish), the left one goes back the bars and doesn't really stop the bike. All that is based on rolling down the road with no drive train in place.... Going to have a good play tomorrow. I agree about flattening the ends.....
Sounds like you have slack in the cable.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
OK.Thanks for all the help and comments!

reinstalled using TRP's own cables. There is no way the outer cables will fit into the STI lever mount with a ferrule on, but I have got it properly seated, and although there is more lever travel than I would like, it does seem to be ok now ( only tested on the stand but a lot better. So brakes ok, but now got gear problems.... will post a new thread!

Top Bottom