Advice on keeping fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Mrs T recently became more or less housebound and as a result I am reluctant to leave her alone for too long. because of this I have had to reduce my cycling to almost zero and as you can imagine it is having an impact on my fitness levels. (I am 79 years of age}. I have been given a cheap turbo, the type of thing that Halfords sell for about £50. Before Mrs T became ill I was riding about 60+ miles per week in very hilly terrain. I am now using the turbo and riding the equivalent of 20 miles in an hour about 3 times a week. is this enough to keep me reasonably fit or should I be doing more. I am currently using the higher resistance settings and I am certainly working up a sweat.

CAESAR AVGVSTVS

At 79 years, doing three lots of 20 mph rides in one week is very good. You keep up the good work Taximan, best wishes to your mrs ‘T’ ❤️

Other than your very hilly territory turbo cycling can be a lot harder than outdoor riding for a given distance because of the lack of freewheeling which can give some rest on the road.
The amount of riding you do will certainly make a big difference to your fitness.

Well done, but how do you keep the interest up for static cycling on a basic turbo? I have never managed to stick at it.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My wife had Parkinson's and could not be left but I had a nurse came for an hour most weeks and once a week I had a woman nominated by social work for 5 hours. I was ready to go as soon as they arrived and I did manage to keep outdoor cycling even in weather I would not have contemplated before
I had a turbo but could not stand it so it did not get much use.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As well as the cycling which is good you could try some weights as Ming says to help your upper body strength. Whenever I have time I do some which has helped me.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Thanks for your input guys, I guess I will keep plugging away and annoy the neigbours with a whining turbo

Big John

Guru
I don't tend to use the turbo now I've retired but when I did I used YouTube and a Bluetooth speaker. What a difference it made. It was almost bearable lol. Sorry to hear about your wife. Exercise is good for the soul and will help keep you in a positive mind 👍

CXRAndy

Guru
I think the answer to that is "With great difficulty"

If you decide to progress to an interactive setup, with variable resistance turbo linked to a setup that can have famous climbs in video format or Zwift for more than just staring at a wall.

This is my TV setup with my Tacx Neo turbo on Zwift.

1000012437.jpg

Additional items required PC/Apple TV to connect your turbo to internet and TV

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Thanks for your input guys, I guess I will keep plugging away and annoy the neigbours with a whining turbo

They will be thankful, it will drown out the noise of the seagulls!

Turbo is generally at least twice as effective as outdoor riding, i.e. an hour turbo = 2 hrs on the road. So a combo of that plus stretching and say hand weights will keep you fit.

Also don't be afraid to reach out to friends /family / volunteer organisations etc for a bit of support. Its still important for you to get out and about a bit, even if its just a walk along the cliff top for some fresh air.

Drago

Legendary Member
A decent rowing machine,mif the budget permits.

First class cardio workout, and an all over physical workout.

But if you've been given a free turbo anyway I'd use that until it breaks and do some bodyweight exercises as well.

And use any opportunity you can to get out on the bike if circumstances permit. Turbos are a decent workout but do zero for maintaining your rinding control skills and roadcraft.

Best of luck :thumbsup:

If she is bed bound and you can;t really get out then you should be entitled to some help

It would be worth having someone come round and help - and even just be there - for an hour or two a week just so you can get out

You need to look after yourself as well as her - and getting out is good for your mental health

Anyway - good luck - sending hugs

Top Bottom