Advice on my first road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RyanB98

Hello, Ive read the newbie post and Im not here to ask generally what the best first road bike is but rather advice on a few. I currently own a Specialized rockhopper as I used to enjoy taking it to the country trails but we dont have a car and wont have for a while so Ive been wanting a fast road bike for a while and my birthday recently funded it :biggrin: I dont know if its wise which is why Im here to ask but is it a good idea to stick with Specialized for my first road bike and more specifically is an Allez good? I have a budget of up to £700-800 which I think is quite healthy for a first bike and some gear. If of course any of you want to suggest a good starting road bike, it would be much appreciated :smile:
TL;DR - I really want to get into road cycling and hopefully join a club after a while of getting into it :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Spesh allez are a decent bike,your not going to get a lemon at this price,check out decathlon bikes or if your confident enough to buy without trying for fit Ribble and planet x do cracking deals.

13 rider

Guru
For that price range there will be no bad bikes so it will come down to personal choice . But for what is worth my reccomdations is a 13 intuition alpha road bike sold by Halfords £599 down from £999 but as a 13 owner I may be bias . Do you have a local shop to try a few out if not Evans if you've got one local let you test ride with a deposit and ID

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RyanB98

I have a few small local bike shops. VeloSport is one, Ive looked online and they sell bikes between a huge price range, do you think its worth popping in and explaining my story to get fittings and stuff correct?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
With an upper limit of 800 you're also in carbon territory just about, just something to bear in mind. Carbon frames usually start around the £1000 mark but with the 2016 "season" coming to a supposed close and the 2017 models not too far off, you'll get a lot of entry level 2016 carbon road bikes at £800 or so online. You may even get a 2015 model for even less. Again, as Cyberknight says, once you know the size you're looking for it's easier to find a deal online so try a few first.

Edit: Yes, go and see your LBS first, try a couple, and see if they are prepared to do you a deal to save you going online. You can expect to pay a *little* more in person at the LBS, but that's okay, since you're getting advice and they do have higher overheads.

MikeW-71

Veteran
You've a good budget, pop round the shops and sit on a few, see what fits.

A Spesh Allez is a good bike, nothing wrong with one at all. I went with a Giant Defy, another popular choice, but there is loads of choice at that price point.

13 rider

Guru
I have a few small local bike shops. VeloSport is one, Ive looked online and they sell bikes between a huge price range, do you think its worth popping in and explaining my story to get fittings and stuff correct?
Well worth a trip . Most local shops offer good customer service as they struggle to compete with internet prices but paying a little extra but having back up service is well worth it

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
or the incredibly tempting Cinelli Experience Veloce

Really quite incredibly tempting! :heat:

vickster

Legendary Member
Evans close by? Wide range of many brands, with hassle free testrides for as long as you fancy pretty much as long as it's dry

OP
OP
R

RyanB98

vickster

Legendary Member
The closest Evans after doing a store search is 50 miles away so that will be a no unfortunately.
Any good LBS that sees you as a serious buyer should enable you to try a bike out, even if on a turbo only. Happy shopping :smile:

Specialized and Allez, although decent, wouldn't be my choice as I like bikes that are a little different and everyone and their dog ride Specialized round here (along with Boardman, Giant, Trek and Cannondale)

This wouldn't be for me either as its black, but a decent discount, v good frame to upgrade in future if you feel the need, all assuming you are around 5'11 and fit a 56cm!

http://velosportonline.com/index.php/bikes/item/trek-emonda-s-4

If brave enough to buy online, this is a very good spec for £850, Dolan will advise you over the phone on sizing etc

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-l-etape-carbon-road-bike-shimano-5800.html

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Spesh are an ugly aggressive American company IMO (suing café Roubaix and stuff life that) so I avoid them. If you want to go mass market and middle of the road, go Giant, but best to go to shops and try a few.

OP
OP
R

RyanB98

Im back home tomorrow, so I shall pop down. Ill post what he has to say on here and you can tell me whether to trust the shop :biggrin:

Top Bottom