Advice on my first road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
There's a Giant store in Lincoln, might be worth a visit, they have a sale on I believe, £800 or thereabouts should get a defy with 105

And to the OP, I got my TCR Advanced for £850 after Vickster's recommendation of Paul's Cycles online. Mine's equipped with Tiagra so one groupset down from the Defy, but with a carbon frame, so any (very tiny) weight savings on a 105 vs Tiagra groupset are more than set off with a big weight saving on the frame itself. There's no really significant performance difference in the groupsets IMO. This is all important I guess if you're into weight, I'm not bothered by weight, I just wanted a nice bike to ride and I got one thanks to Vicks.

Really quite incredibly tempting! :heat:

I can't see what the fuss is about that particular bike personally except the looks, and that depends on your own personal taste anyway but has no bearing on the bike's functionality.

Suggest going to your local bike shops with your budget firmly in tow and asking them to help you choose.

If Velosport, this might be worth a look - I think it is a road bike with a slightly "looser" frame so you can fit bigger tyres on it for those bridleway opportunities:

http://velosportonline.com/index.php/bikes/item/specialized-diverge-sport-a11

For pure road japes, this - I rather like white frame/black fork combos:

http://velosportonline.com/index.php/bikes/item/specialized-allez-e5-elite

Carbon's overrated and easy to end up with a lower end one at the £800 mark. Happy shopping!!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I can't see what the fuss is about that particular bike personally except the looks, and that depends on your own personal taste anyway but has no bearing on the bike's functionality.

Suggest going to your local bike shops with your budget firmly in tow and asking them to help you choose.

If Velosport, this might be worth a look - I think it is a road bike with a slightly "looser" frame so you can fit bigger tyres on it for those bridleway opportunities:

http://velosportonline.com/index.php/bikes/item/specialized-diverge-sport-a11

For pure road japes, this - I rather like white frame/black fork combos:

http://velosportonline.com/index.php/bikes/item/specialized-allez-e5-elite

Carbon's overrated and easy to end up with a lower end one at the £800 mark. Happy shopping!!
What's functionality got to do with it? It's just a whole lot of fun to ride.

I'm a big fan of Decathlon's bikes. I've got 3 at present:laugh:. The Triban 520 / 540 is a solid bike with good kit on it for the price. It's a corker of a bike as a first road bike, and won't leave you weeping into your cornflakes, if you decide ( as some do ) that road biking actually isn't their thing, they hold their value well on the used market too, so selling them on wont be hard.

I've just noticed they are selling their full Carbon Mach 720 for less than 900 quid in the sale, that's a full Carbon bike with an 11 speed 105 groupset, if your budget stretches that far, that's a lot of bike for the money.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
For that price range there will be no bad bikes so it will come down to personal choice . But for what is worth my reccomdations is a 13 intuition alpha road bike sold by Halfords £599 down from £999 but as a 13 owner I may be bias . Do you have a local shop to try a few out if not Evans if you've got one local let you test ride with a deposit and ID
i showed that to mrs ck, i will let you guess the reply ...........

13 rider

Guru
i showed that to mrs ck, i will let you guess the reply ...........
Was it yes :okay:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Was it yes :okay:

Understand what you are saying CK. I always get " haven't you got enough bikes " nooo.
This is even worse as my grandson works at Halfords part time and he can get me a discount.Brrhh

I only have 3 bikes though :ohmy:
My main bike is a self built winter bike/commuter on an old vanquish frame, a carrera subway with a drop bar conversion for winter commutes/ family riding and the nice bike is an alloy boardman with sram apex and a superstar wheelset .
I would like a carbon frame and do a groupset transplant but for some reason the family wants food and the bedroom carpet is best described as mulitcoloured mucky .

Top Bottom