Advice on my Knee Problem.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Macka18

On the 25th July im doing a 400 mile bike journey for charity, training has gone well just the usual aches and pains. However the last six big training rides (70 milers and 160's) I have developed an annoying pain in my right knee. To give you an idea of the area, if you are sat down and look at the knee cap and place your finger on the centre then slide your finger to the 5 o clock position until you reach the soft muscle area which is just past the bone this is where I get the pain. It starts about 45mins into the ride as a niggle but gets worse, is this a laterall problem or the IT Band? Ive looked on line and advice on cleat position which suggested moving my cleats inwards and rotate them so toes not pointing into the bike. If I could get more of the force when pedalling on the inside of my knee this may work but how is this possible? I had a period of 12 days off the bike but first ride back pain started again. Rest is not an option at the moment but im getting desperate and very anxious as the big day draws closer, im sure this is a technical issue with my position on the bike. Is it better to have my seat slightly higher and closer to the bars to minimise the pressure on my knee?

All advice is much appreciated.

jimboalee

With ten days to go, I think you're just about knackered.

It will take a couple or three ( 2mm at a time ) adjustments of the cleats to place the shoe FURTHER from the crank and shoe STRAIGHT. This can only be done by adjusting and testing, and if it don't work, you won't have enough time to recuperate the strain AND keep tip-top for the ride.

Look for some 'wedges' to angle the ankles out. It takes time to get perfect positioning to ride a LONG ride comfortably.

Perservere with the ride with a bad foot position, damage the knee and it might mean a long temporary lay-off, or worse, permanent damage.

Sorry to be blunt. I wouldn't want a fellow cyclist to permanently damage his knees and then missing out on years of enjoyment.

Oh, and BTW. ONLY when cleat position is perfected is 'grinding' comfortable.

jimboalee

PS

It takes about fifteen years for a cyclist to develop knee strength and robustness so he can jump on a borrowed bike and ride a century without any problems.

In the olde days ( here he goes again ) pedals were 'Quills' with clips and straps. A rider had his 'plates' - shoes with an aluminium plate which located on the rear rail of the pedal. There was NO adjustment.

Borrowing a bike relied on one's knees to be 'manned-up' for the job. Initial 'nailing the plates on' was done either by the LBS man, or under instruction from the LBS man to the local cobbler. From then on, it was the rider's own adaptation, which is the fifteen years bit, with wedge shaped in-soles etc.

If its IT band, fixing the cleats after the problem has occurred is a bit like 'shutting the door after the horse has bolted', you are solving what actually started the problem not treating it, see a physio for advice on stretching exercises to treat it or advise what it actually is.

wissy

If its IT band, fixing the cleats after the problem has occurred is a bit like 'shutting the door after the horse has bolted', you are solving what actually started the problem not treating it, see a physio for advice on stretching exercises to treat it or advise what it actually is.

Possibly Patellofemoral issues? Does it 'crunch' or hurt going upstairs? Then again there are many knee issues but if central to knee it could be this suggestion....... quite common.

Top Bottom