Advice on prep before fencing contractor comes in

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We've got a steep back garden with one section that's practa big step up. The step is a rotten old stump that's too big to dig out with a fresh cut down tree stump to the side. We've cut out a shrub and a few trees, one we got an above ground stump out of the way.

How would a fencing contractor approach that big step up? We're talking almost 2 metres height gain over a metre travel. The rest of the line is an easy slope but still up to 1 in 1 at a few places. I'm wondering if he'll just featherboard it at a similar angle to the ground? Do you think he'll try to dig around the stump then cut into it to make it less of a stump? From above you see ground to the step down. From below you see the side of the stump.

The thing is we're supposed to clear the fence line before he comes. I wonder how far we have to? We've cleared trees and shrubs. There's a few trees he'll have to go our side of though. The only two fixed points that we can be sure are the boundary are the top boundary line where the fence of our garden ends and at the bottom where we have a mid garden panel fence end post as the bottom marker. It's impo to put a straight line between the two because of some big, established trees in the way. It's a bit of a dogs leg whatever we do. Neighbour isn't too fussed. Said we can chop all the trees down except a spindly pine that's well off the line and the big ley is out of the question. It cost us enough to take two out and we're still clearing the brash and the logs 3 months later!

Any opinions or advice? Basically what should we do to avoid any on costs due to extra prep by the one man band fencing contractor (who's highly recommended locally)?

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Did he not come out and have a gander at the job? He might not tackle the stump depending on how big it is, especially if he's a one man band as that might increase his labour and he might not be prepared to do it. It would be best to confirm with the man at hand i reckon.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
4X4 uprights with featherboard fence. He's not putting in concrete base just leaving a gap instead. I think that's common round here where terrain doesn't play well with easy fencing designs.

Really not sure what his plans are with that step up. He's quoted so I guess he's factored in that step. I must admit I'd prefer to get it well prepped before he comes to do it. Mind you we've probably got a couple of tonnes of logs and brash to get rid of in that wild wood section before he comes in so perhaps not good use of time doing anything with the stump.

Just curious as to how he's likely to be working the fenceline over that step.

Jameshow

Veteran
Surely he will bring it up the hill at an angle.
He will be used to doing stuff like that.

How about building a big bonfire on the stump and burning it out??

tom73

Guru
He will work to a line that easiest work to, as for the stump if you're really worried the simple way is to hire a stump grinder or get a tree surgeon to do it for you.

Top Bottom