Advice on quality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoyDickins

Hi all:-

My names Roy and iv'e just joined your forum and i'm hoping i could get some feedback on whats going on in the cycling world at the moment as iv'e not long started cycling again after a 25 year break.

First of all i could do with some feedback regarding an insurance claim that i have pending at the moment.

In January when i took up the saddle again i took some advice from a friend and went out and bought a nice TREK 730 HYBRID (2010) which i paid £550.00 for, i went to Julies cycles in Leicester had a look at it, sat on it, checked the build quality, size etc, i was so chuffed with my new bike until some guttersnipe decided to break into my factory and help themselves to it, problem is, the insurance company have offered me a FELT QX80D from an internet site called wheelies.

Now obviously the insurance company are giving them there business in order to get good discounts which i can't blame them for, but that doesn't help the likes of me who have never heard of FELT nor know anything about the quality of there products or availability of parts etc.
So basically if there's anyone out there that has knowledge of TREK and FELT or indeed anyone who has had dealings with Wheelies and there service i would be very grateful to here what you've got to say.

Being in manufacturing iv'e seen whats coming in from china and the likes and what iv'e seen is dreadful to say the least, i know £550 for my first
bike isn't a fortune but the TREK showed signs of being a good buy for the money.

I don't get a lot of time to sit at computers so if anyone's got anything to say please don't be offended if it takes a week for me to get back to you.

The very kindest of regards to all you out there on the roads,

Roy.

TVC

Hello Roy.

First off, Julies has had a lot of my hard earned cash over the years, great shop.

I've not come across an insurance company offering goods before, is it your factory insurance, or a bike policy you're claiming on?

Felt bikes are good, Spectrum Sports in Hinckley stock them as do Evans in Nottingham if you do want to check them out.

Jim

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Hello Roy,

Sorry to hear of your theft.

Felt are a well regarded brand and the bike's components are from well known brands, so parts will not be a problem. Regardless of which, bike components are all pretty standard so you have no worries on that score.

Wiggle are offering it for £550 odd (reduced from £650), so it seems a reasonable offer.

If you're unhappy with it for any reason, you could ask the insurer to offer alternatives or make a cash offer, it depends on the terms of your policy.

From what I can find out, it seems that both your original bike and the proposed replacement are discontinued models. This probably explains why a) you haven't been offered a like-for-like replacement and b) why you have been offered, what appears to be, a better/later model bike than the one you lost.

If they will offer you cash in lieu of a replacement, it will be for somewhat less than the retail value of the bike. As I'm sure you know, they won't be paying Wheelies the retail price; as a rule of thumb you're better off with a replacement than cash.

I've no personal experience of Wheelies, but they publish a proper address (as opposed to a PO box) and landline on their website, which suggests they are a cosher set-up.

Although I defer to your experience in manufacturing, a number of people on here have bought carbon fibre frames from China and been most happy with them; I guess there's still a lot of chaff with the wheat.

I hope this helps you make a decision and that you're back on the road soon

Top Bottom