Advice on replacement tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shoxt3r

Hi there,

So quite a while ago (back in August!) I was posting about buying myself a Hybrid bike. I ended up with the Carrera Subway 1 and since the weather turned in October I've been struggling with some of the local trails due to mud. Otherwise the bike has taken on everything I've thrown at it and has a really comfortable, easily controllable ride.

Is there anything I can do to upgrade the bike such as get a set of knobblier tyres or is it the case I just have to live with it and go steady, or pick easier routes?
This is the equivalent bike I have in a Large frame.

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybr...ike-2020---grey---s-m-l-xl-frames-346174.html

Many thanks!

Andrew

vickster

Legendary Member
If you’re riding off road on mud, rather than on road, get some mountain bike tyres for the winter? You have MTB sized wheels, just need to check clearance. You’ll be compromised on roads though, there’s not really any one tyre that will do all surfaces well

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Even if you’re using knobbly mountain bike tyres they won’t cope much better with heavy mud as the tread pattern soon fills up giving no real advantage, if it’s lighter you might gain some advantage. On the road they’ll be noticeably slower.

si_c

Guru
Even if you’re using knobbly mountain bike tyres they won’t cope much better with heavy mud as the tread pattern soon fills up giving no real advantage, if it’s lighter you might gain some advantage. On the road they’ll be noticeably slower.
Depends on the tread, bigger wider spaced knobs will shed mud better.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member

weareHKR

Have a look at the current tire size, I think they are 27.5 x 1.95?
You should be able to slot some 27.5 x 2.0 in there, there's plenty of off road tyres available in that size, including 650's
The recommend clearance between the stays is 4mm wider that the tire, that's total so 2mm a side.
Be sure to check the inflated width of the tire first!
Remember it's a Hybrid not a MTB so it's not really designed for mud plugging!

Top Bottom