Advice on selling on the forum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I got barred off London Fixed website because I agreed to Bank Transfer. They insist sellers use paypal. Thing is it was the buyer in one case that asked to use bank transfer, not me. Very strange.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Except you have no protection with PayPal gift if the item never shows up, as its for sending money to someone you know and not a stranger on the Internet. That's what 'full' fee PayPal is for, I.e. This situation. I think also with PayPal gift if you want to pay with a credit card rather than funds you may have in your account (of which I have none as I avoid PP if I can) you get charged
you have no protection with paypal either way

Hi, am new to selling on the forum. A got 2 brooks saddle for sale and I want to put it on here. I know about putting attachment on to the post, I'm a bit confused what "PM" means? and how to recieve payment? Any advice would be appreciated.

Some pro and cons of payment instruments;
  • I would avoid giving bank details to anyone who you have not met or have a commercial contract with. Once someone uses your bank details without your authorisation to set up standing orders / BTs, the hassle of dealing with the Bank, changing accounts,funds recovery etc can be onerous. Not to mention rearranging standing orders. You can reduce the risk by setting up a separate account if you are a regular seller.
  • Paypal is popular as it act as an intermediary (honest broker) for both the buyer and the seller. You will also widen your prospective buyer base and get a better price as most discerning buyers would not channel funds to a bank account of an individual. The buyer has at least some avenue of recourse with Paypal but none at all with a transfer to a bank account if the goods do not reach the buyer. Factor in the Paypal fee in the sale price like most sellers do. Make sure it is not Paypal Gift though as the some prospective buyers would avoid it - The fact that it is called "gift" is pretty telling.
  • Paypal does however have both dishonest buyers and sellers and scams but at least it is not your bank account and the fact that they are supposed to be an intermediary is better than none.
  • If you are familiar with the forum and the know that buyer is a regular in this forum, then BT and Paypal Gift would be a much reduced risk.
  • Cash is good but your prospective buyer base would be rather small.

If you are wanting to do a bank transfer to save on fees, you may as well do a PayPal gift as the protection is the same But you don't have to give out any details.

Personally, I send a lot of money around via PayPal (linked directly to my account), as sending to an email address is often quicker than going through my internet banking.

vickster

Legendary Member
But you get charged to use PayPal gift unless you have a PayPal balance and there's no protection

But you get charged to use PayPal gift unless you have a PayPal balance and there's no protection

I've never, ever been charged to use a PayPal gift (never have balance in there, but is linked directly to the account via DD), there's also no protection on a bank transfer.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Some pro and cons of payment instruments;
  • If you are familiar with the forum and the know that buyer is a regular in this forum, then BT and Paypal Gift would be a much reduced risk.
Being a regular on the forum does not guarantee that you will get the goods you pay for. This has happened - not often, but it has. A 'trusted' regular is something else, but not easy to judge. I have bought a couple of things of folks on here, I think in both cases they sent the goods and then I paid - so they were trusting me. There are a few folks on here I would send my money off to and trust they would send the goods, but not many. This is not to say that the rest are not trustworthy, just that I don't know them well enough.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've never, ever been charged to use a PayPal gift (never have balance in there, but is linked directly to the account via DD), there's also no protection on a bank transfer.
No but I hate PayPal after being scammed by an eBay seller despite their claims of protection. I use it rarely with a credit card for occasional eBay purchases, never over £20 though

I only ever use credit card for online purchases, never debit

Being a regular on the forum does not guarantee that you will get the goods you pay for. This has happened - not often, but it has. A 'trusted' regular is something else, but not easy to judge. I have bought a couple of things of folks on here, I think in both cases they sent the goods and then I paid - so they were trusting me. There are a few folks on here I would send my money off to and trust they would send the goods, but not many. This is not to say that the rest are not trustworthy, just that I don't know them well enough.

Agree thus my use of the term "reduced risk" for this lot.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Why? The worst someone can do is pay money in. You presumably give your bank details to numerous faceless organisations susceptible to data protection issues when you set up a direct debit or standing order :smile:

If concerned take the hit with PayPal but you have to give your bank details to them too if you ever want to withdraw the money
PayPal does offer some protection. In the same way as an international trade bank does, it removes you and the buyer from the transaction, limiting the transfer of bank information (which, with a little work can be used for a lot more than just paying in cash, especially by those in the business of wholesale fraud...they know what they are doing...btw, without sounding like a scare monger, the process of emailing a buyer will mean opening emails and attachments from them...which can very easily be loaded with spyware to record future keystrokes, web use etc...all a bit scary really)

Also it keeps a receipt, by a third party and confirms a transaction.

Not much, I admit but more than you will get by accepting a transfer and perhaps a little more than you get with cash in hand.

Top Bottom