advice on this bike pls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Bid for it, it'll get you started, it'll be a good bike if you can get a good price on it

OP
OP
D

daveleach

What would you guys class as a good price for this bike? The seller don't really seem to know to much about it. So far managed to find out it's fitted with x-tas 24 spoke wheels. That's it!!!

kewb

if people are putting bikes on ebay the pics shouldnt be like a topless model shoot in someone's hallway , some close ups of groupset etc far more useful imho .

i would be hard pushed to part with £100 for it without more info .

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Daveleach - as a brand, GT are well regarded, but so are BMW. But, there is a big difference between the BMW 1 series and the 7 series.

This could be a bottom end GT bike. If the seller is unsure, s/he can't be that bike savvy and is unlikley to have bought a high end bike.

A bike price is determined by it's frame and groupset (mechs, drivetrain/shifters). It's overall condition also helps. As the other chap said - don't go above £100 if unsure what you're buying.

OP
OP
D

daveleach

just purchased this bike, hope to collect later in week.
opinions pls. as i say i dont plan on becoming an olympic cyclist!!! just a few miles a week for fitness levels.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....427989&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1154

Alan Whicker

Good price in my opinion. Looks to be well cared for. Carrera are a Halfords brand but have a lot of fans.

Where will you be riding? If it's primarily on the road, swapping those knobbly tyres for slicks or semi-slicks will make huge difference - as will locking out the suspension on the forks.

OP
OP
D

daveleach

yes it will be primarily on the road, but roads road here are full of pot holes!!!
can you suggest a suitable tyre?

OP
OP
D

daveleach

have my boyhood cycle of a raleigh max cromo111 to get rid of now!!! thats how long it is since i have cycled!!!!!
shall i just bin it lol?!

daveleach said:
have my boyhood cycle of a raleigh max cromo111 to get rid of now!!! thats how long it is since i have cycled!!!!!
shall i just bin it lol?!

Please don't.

It'll not net you a fortune if you sell it but there are places that will take old bikes, service them etc and put them to better use than the tip...

Or keep it and use it if you ever need to make those journeys where you don't fancy leaving your "best bike" locked up for any length of time!

g00se

Veteran
daveleach said:
yes it will be primarily on the road, but roads road here are full of pot holes!!!
can you suggest a suitable tyre?

Ah, but the tread on mountain bike tyres is for gripping wet mud. It makes riding on roads harder. A good tyre is Schwab City Jet.

Top Bottom